PDA

View Full Version : Blink having a laugh

McDoo
18th Dec 2015, 07:52
So they are advertising for Mustang pilots who are required to 'self fund' their Mustang type ratings.

They go on to state 'Blink believe in investing in people'

Sounds like the other way round....

littco
18th Dec 2015, 16:08
Bit like advertising their pilots have over 17,000 hours experience each but you only need over 2500 to apply..

smalljetpilot
19th Dec 2015, 09:35
Sounds about right!!
The piss taking offer they made me a while back........

S Midgeon
21st Dec 2015, 16:32
And of course you rejected this offer as being completely beneath you and galloped off into the sunset ....presumably without work. As opposed to the young high calibre guys who accepted and have a job which is salary structured to increase as you become more experienced. We have a very good policy and record of promotion to Captain from within, and if you don't believe that, why don't you ask, if you see any of our crews down route

noneya
22nd Dec 2015, 01:52
S. Midgeon,

Care to comment on littco's post?

j

FlyMD
22nd Dec 2015, 06:41
If "high calibre" pilots have to buy their own type ratings, I guess it's high time regular calibre guys like me retire from aviation.... :hmm:

McDoo
22nd Dec 2015, 06:45
SMidgeon

Sorry, never seem to meet your crews down route - we stay in reasonable hotels and are quite busy....;)

His dudeness
22nd Dec 2015, 07:47
If "high calibre" pilots have to buy their own type ratings, I guess it's high time regular calibre guys like me retire from aviation....

+1, but then we do live in the "marketing" age - and so called well informed individuals do fall for all the bulls - apparently.

Wh working people such as me should in any way shape or form subsidize well-off people through lousy pay and P2F, is beyond me. Having said that, I have no idea about the T&Cs at Blink, so I might be barking up the wrong tree....

Journey Man
22nd Dec 2015, 09:52
And of course you rejected this offer as being completely beneath you and galloped off into the sunset ....presumably without work. As opposed to the young high calibre guys who accepted and have a job which is salary structured to increase as you become more experienced. We have a very good policy and record of promotion to Captain from within, and if you don't believe that, why don't you ask, if you see any of our crews down route

This is tantamount to an admission that your Company is preying on those who have no further options and mocking those who do not accept your appalling terms, instead propagating the idea that low hour pilots have to take your deal or go unemployed. What, in your opinion, defines those who accept your poor terms as 'high-calibre'?

Despite proclaiming that your chosen candidates are 'high-calibre', clearly they are merely those facing a Hobson's choice.

Take a long, hard look in the mirror at yourself.

Son of a Beech
22nd Dec 2015, 18:58
Just curious, after investing 25000 in a type rating, what kind of salarie could a captain expect to make

drag king
23rd Dec 2015, 11:12
51-54k/year I have been told. Re. the SSTR they will endeavour to make the t very "tax efficient".

DK :hmm:

Spunky Monkey
23rd Dec 2015, 11:33
Why on earth would anybody with confidence in their ability pay for a TR on a Mustang?
As for seeing their pilots down route, most people manage to get further from home than Paris and Edinburgh.

As good as Blink may be, I would rather ride off into the sunset with no job and look for a job that will give longevity and future options than being stuck on a Mustang, something like a Lockheed Jetstar has more of a future.

long final
23rd Dec 2015, 18:58
So, they are looking for captains, with low hours (+2500) who are not able to get a job any better and will have to pay for the rating themselves and fly with co's who I can only imagine have far far less experience? They then advertise to the paying public that their crew have +17,000 hours???

If any of that is true this industry is shamefully screwed - along with the poor unfortunates sat in the back.

Pay peanuts - It's an old analogy, but sadly true.

PURPLE PITOT
23rd Dec 2015, 20:40
I think the 17000 hrs is a fleet total!:D

Above The Clouds
23rd Dec 2015, 21:12
I would rather go and flip burgers in Mc Donald's than pay for type rating so I can work for some cowboy outfit.

Good luck to anyone who has accepted such a ridiculous contract, and please don't come on here in 18 months f@@king moaning about your poor terms and conditions.

51-54K a year, I hope that is for the F/O position because 15 years ago a Captain on a Citation was making £65K.

drag king
23rd Dec 2015, 21:24
Pay peanuts - It's an old analogy, but sadly true.

No that in today's market is unfair to say.

Is it only me that noticed it or have the medium-sized cabin jet gone from UK's aprons? What you call a proper salary is now available just on large birds like Gulfs, Glex and Legacy. For those owners money has never been an issue but getting a seat in row 00, well that STILL his hard work.

Blink & c. have now hogged the other end of the spectrum and they deliver what the "...poor unfortunate sat in the back..." ask: personalized semi-luxury travel at (air) taxi prices. And they hate to see props spinning outside the window so, contrary to the opinion of many Dr. Doom out there the VLJs have found a spot in the sun even in EASAland.

What else is available to the guy/gal that want to run free of the TP/MEP dungeon and tick the jet-time box? I had contacts for over 1 year with two "respectable" operators down south: one asked whether I was willing to "partecipate" in founding my TR on a new a/c (new type, new airframe ---> free TR included in the price for at least 2 bods!). I politely answered "...no, I'd rather be bonded for 2 years...". Got a PFO letter 3 days later and it felt like I had been shot in the back as they said that was just an "expression of interest" meeting, nothing technical or strictly job-related. The second one stated countless time that "when and if" they were to hire again it would had been SSTR. Guess what...they forgot to mention that it would also be freelancing with no min-hrs guaranteed. Go figure!

Please don't tell me about the days you started on the rusty CJ parked at the other end of the airfield: even an examiner discouraged me from even exploring that route as in today's market I was safer (job and experience-wise) on my trustworthy King Air.

DK :hmm:

Above The Clouds
23rd Dec 2015, 21:40
S Midgeon
We have a very good policy and record of promotion to Captain from within, and if you don't believe that, why don't you ask, if you see any of our crews down route

Or put another way, a very high turn over of Captains because of your terms and conditions.

Brizeguy
23rd Dec 2015, 21:44
Currently 10 aircraft on the fleet with hours ranging from 1900 to 4000+.
You could fly a Legacy or GV and do three sectors a month or fly the Mustang and get more landings in a week than others do in a year. It's horses for courses and flying means different things to each individual. You can get airborne out of Luton and engage autopilot for seven hours and spend a week strutting around the Caribbean in your Ray Bans telling the world what a great pilot you are or do a four sector day around the heart of Europe with lots of real flying (and strut around Nice or Geneva.....). If you want to get to Paris from London quickly, a Mustang out of Blackbushe is hard to beat. Your GV out of Heathrow won't have even got airborne by the time the Mustang pax are getting off in Le Bourget.
Not every pilot is doing it for the money, some have longer term career plans some have other careers, pensions or separate business interests. It's supply and demand, if it's not for you then you don't apply. Bigger jets command bigger wages, that's just the way it is. Nobody gave Blink five minutes when they started, now they have their own airport, next few years should be very interesting, why wouldn't you want to be part of it?

flydive1
24th Dec 2015, 09:37
I quote what most said above(peanuts etc.)

If you want to get to Paris from London quickly, a Mustang out of Blackbushe is hard to beat. Your GV out of Heathrow won't have even got airborne by the time the Mustang pax are getting off in Le Bourget.

Why would a GV use Heathrow?

CaptainProp
24th Dec 2015, 09:42
I think the 17000 hrs is a fleet total!

:}:ok:

Why would any company mention the crew flight hours in advertising anyway?? Beats me....

Anyway, Merry Christmas everybody!

CP

lanef300
24th Dec 2015, 21:01
Nobody gave Blink five minutes when they started, now they have their own airport, next few years should be very interesting, why wouldn't you want to be part of it? And if they can afford their own airport, why the SSTR?
As an investor, maybe, as a pilot/employee...

fade to grey
28th Dec 2015, 19:32
Well if you are not in to for the money , what the hell are you doing here ?you know - ' professional pilots ' I.e getting correct renumeration.

I see starry eyed stupidity here - and who gives a toss if you do three landings a month or four a day