PDA

View Full Version : US to arm Kurdish Brigades

ORAC
18th Dec 2015, 07:22
That's going to piss off the Turks, and Iraqi government. "President" Barzani, hmmmmm. Obama finally choosing sides?

Defense Secretary Carter vows to arm Kurdish brigades for upcoming Battle of Mosul (http://www.defensenews.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/12/17/defense-secretary-carter-vows-arm-kurdish-brigades-upcoming-battle-mosul/77496810/)

ERBIL, Iraq — Planning for the future battle of Mosul got a boost Thursday when Defense Secretary Ash Carter agreed to give the Kurdish peshmerga two brigade-size equipment sets to help them lead that fight.

The agreement came while Carter was visiting northern Iraq and met with Kurdish leaders. It was the latest stop on the secretary’s trip across the Middle East talking to top U.S. generals and allied leaders about ways to increase military pressure on the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

“What I discussed with [Kurdish] President [Masoud] Barzani is the future of the campaign, particularly the role his forces can play in the encirclement and recapture of Mosul,” Carter told reporters in Iraq on Thursday. He agreed to immediately provide the Kurds with “two brigades' worth of equipment to be used to arm the two brigades that they will contribute to the encirclement of Mosul."

The gear will be shipped from U.S. storage facilities in Kuwait and likely will arrive within weeks, a senior defense official said. The package will equip more than 4,000 Kurdish militiamen and include weapons, small- and medium-sized tactical vehicles, fuel tankers, radio equipment and an array of gear to counter improvised explosive devices, the senior official said.

Islamic State militants seized Mosul, Iraq’s second largest city, in June 2014 and U.S. military officials believe the push to retake it may be the decisive battle for ultimately dismantling the fledgling extremist state. “Mosul is sort of the next logical place,” said Army Brig. Gen. Mark Odom, the top U.S. commander in northern Iraq.

Arclite01
18th Dec 2015, 07:29
Charlie Wilsons War ?

Arc

just another jocky
18th Dec 2015, 07:36
“Mosul is sort of the next logical place,” said Army Brig. Gen. Mark Odom, the top U.S. commander in northern Iraq.

Struck me a funny (my bold).

Melchett01
18th Dec 2015, 17:26
ORAC,

I'm not so sure it will - the Turks already have a base in the north up by Mosul, and it will invariably feature in any Mosul op

http://http://www.janes.com/article/56600/turkey-to-keep-troops-in-iraq-despite-baghdad-protests (http://www.janes.com/article/56600/turkey-to-keep-troops-in-iraq-despite-baghdad-protests)

It's just indicative of how much of a mess things have got to over there at the moment. In many cases it's about pragmatic relationships to achieve an aim rather than friends & enemies

Hangarshuffle
19th Dec 2015, 18:59
Omnishambles...the last thing the region/world needs is more and more weapons unleashed and unsheathed.

PersonFromPorlock
19th Dec 2015, 19:48
I just hope the Kurds aren't counting on US policy this week being US policy next week.

ShotOne
19th Dec 2015, 20:33
Well that's simple, this military aid announced the same day as our Turkish allies launch a major military attack on Kurdish factions in Southern Turkey. I'm sure it's all going to plan.

racedo
19th Dec 2015, 21:48
US Foreign Policy is like a roundabout with no exits.

Thelma Viaduct
19th Dec 2015, 23:52
Just like the UK, The US&A can't sort out their own basic domestic issues. What makes them think they can sort out a foreign country's ethnic/religious/tribal mess seeing as they caused it in the first place???

Take in to account their previous record of foreign fiddling over the past 65 years and they're bound to fail again, experts in failure, death and spunking away trillions.

Dan Winterland
20th Dec 2015, 02:50
What could possibly go wrong?

Whenurhappy
20th Dec 2015, 06:38
The Kurds supported in KRG by Turkey are the opposite ends of the spectrum from the PKK or KG in SE Turkey, which are also proscribed by HMG as terrorist organisations.

The mistake so many observers make is identifying the Kurds as plucky (and generally fruity young women) fighters who are anti ISIS and pro west. Some are, some aren't; some are definitely pro Asad regime in Syria, others have a wider nationalist agenda linking factions from Iran, across Turkey, Syria and Irak to to Mediterranean coast. Now what could go wrong with a multilateral state like that?

In other words, and to put it bluntly, there are good Kurds and bad Kurds. Oh, and for people who doubt. E, just look at how some Kurds actively supported the Armenian (ahem) ethnic cleansing in 1915.

Melchett01
20th Dec 2015, 10:41
US Foreign Policy is like a roundabout with no exits

It's not jus US foreign policy, I don't think anybody is particularly good at it. As I once heard, and I wish I could remember where, foreign policy is like making love to a beautiful woman: it's messy, horrifically expensive and you always end up pulling out just that little bit too late.

As analogies go, it sounds about right to me.

ShotOne
21st Dec 2015, 07:46
"Good Kurds and bad Kurds...?" only if we're conveniently pigeonholing the world according to whether their aspirations fit our current political convenience (can we even agree what that is amongst ourselves?) What the Kurds want has been very consistent; a place to call their own. We haven't had much sympathy for their cause over the years but now, trying to achieve it at the expense of IS makes them "good".