PDA

View Full Version : I have 1 year before starting my Flight Training.

CraviatorMike
18th Dec 2015, 05:14
Hello all! There are many things in this thread that I want to cover because I'm downright scared, I will admit. I've been caught in the Av bug and I have aspirations to become a commercial pilot. I've researched many routes on how to go about doing this, and I've learned a lot along the way. I know that you progress from RPL, to PPL, to CPL, to the MECIR's, NVFR's, type ratings and ATPLS. I'm currently 17 years old and I have applied to join Basair once I finish school. I've received my ARN and I will complete my medical at the end of 2016, then will apply for my ASIC. (Course starts in 2017).

During this time I really want to familarize myself with what is to come, because I'm afraid of theory examinations. I haven't done Mathematics or Physics in school, so I understand this may be a little tough. I have 1 year to get my **** together. I've gone far ahead and researched the ATPL examinations, reading that syllabus scared the hell out of me. There's so much information you need to know within a short period of time.

My first challenge will be the RPL. How would I go about learning this syllabus and familiarzing myself with the theory component of the course? I understand that they will teach me in the course once I start, but I'm determined to be ahead so I won't fall behind. I've slacked off in high school and I am very motivated to become a Pilot, I know that the flying school is the route to my career, and that I have to overcome my laziness and to be proficient.

What do you guys recommend for study techniques, what I should do before the course, what I should be doing now? I'm very eager to learn from you guys. Thank you!

Martin_123
18th Dec 2015, 11:07
get whatever books you use in Australia, get a question bank, one of those PPL cruisers or whatever is recommended for your syllabus and - read a chapter - do the quiz, repeat...

Really at your stage I would rather get a tuition in Maths and Physics and would be focusing on finishing school successfully. Don't touch the ATPL stuff before you're done with PPL.. of course ATPL looks scary at first, but it's not what you should be looking at right now

rifruffian
18th Dec 2015, 14:07
first thing is to sharpen up your maths and physics

ersa
19th Dec 2015, 00:33
I agree maths and physics.

Maths and Physics for Pilots

I used this free book from the UK Very good.....Its downloaded to an IPAD

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/maths-and-physics-for-pilots/id592113679?mt=13

Genghis the Engineer
19th Dec 2015, 07:03
There's no rule in life that says the only place you can learn things is in school.

Self-teaching the maths and physics may be tough, but it'll also put you in a good position with your study skills when you move onto the more aviation specific stuff. Use it as part of your personal build up.

Then do the PPL first! Don't get sucked into spending huge amounts of money *until* you've done that component to tell you if you have the real passion and attribute to learn to fly. Then, if you do, move forwards to the professional training.

G