PDA

View Full Version : From another angle

ClassCbird
17th Dec 2015, 11:56
I am the wife of an EK Skipper. I used to fly myself until we moved to Dubai so i understand the politics in aviation only too well.
When we came here a few years ago, this company was great, however, my husband and I have seen a radical detrimental change over this last year. I can tell you, he is working harder than i've ever known to the point where i barely see him anymore and the odd times where i do see him, he is exhausted. We are in the luckier position of having no children so we are relatively free to sleep when we want, get up when we want (on days off, of course). How do pilots with young children cope????
More so, this lack of Leave situation is ridiculous. Both my parents and my in laws suffer ill health so cannot fly. When on earth are we going to see them again???
I believe EK need to stop new aircraft arriving, cancel some flights and start giving it's front line staff (pilots, engineers and cabin crew) a modicum of respect by honouring the contractual leave, and give them adequate rest between duties. That would be a start. Might stop some people leaving and it might attract new joiners!
I know, many of you will be thinking "EK will never do that!" Pretty soon, they will have no choice but to cancel flights. My husband is currently looking elsewhere. Of course time off to attend interviews and selections would be helpful.:ugh:

ExDubai
17th Dec 2015, 13:22
@ClassCbird The problem is that one of the pillars of the Dubai business model is the growth/expansion of EK. So stop growing/adding new destinations is a threat to the Dubai business model.

There is no short term solution for the problems, only a mid/long term. As long as the planes keep flying, nothing will change.....

ClassCbird
17th Dec 2015, 13:39
I understand that the plan is to expand, however they can only expand for so long until the pilots run out. They would be better off halting expansion for a while until this mess is sorted out. The company will lose more face the longer this drags on. Another year or two of more and more aircraft arriving with no one to fly them is going to be a major embarrassment. How stupid EK will look then....

fliion
17th Dec 2015, 13:48
Flights are being cancelled. Cant mention here due PR.

AlanPardew
18th Dec 2015, 00:08
ClassCBird -

Congratulations on marrying an EK Captain; being able to quit work and sleep whenever you want.
Unfortunately what appears to have happened now is you've become a Boeing widow, previously known as being a 330 widow.
Our lifestyle change, in my opinion, is mainly due to the flights changing on the Boeing (more turns, less ULR's = less days off) with lack of pilots being a smaller contributing factor.

Pardew for Chelsea

Alan

GoreTex
18th Dec 2015, 04:22
get yourself a 380 Skipper on the side to fill in when your 777 Skipper is flying

harry the cod
18th Dec 2015, 06:28
fliion

Sorry to burst the bubble, but as far as I'm aware the only flights being cancelled are those the Company choose to cancel, i.e. political unrest/war zones etc. I do know however that we've come close a few times as a Standards Captain was recently called out for a layover trip due to a lack of F/O's (B777) and flew right seat. Probably extra pissed off down route without the customary Deluxe Suite and extra $4 overnight!! :{

Despite what we might think, and perhaps secretly wish for, this Company will never park aircraft. Before it ever contemplates that scenario it will reduce or remove handling sims, CRM/SEP days and replace D/O with STBY. The core business of flying planes will never be allowed to suffer due to training requirements and this Company is great at putting out fires rather than having sound & efficient policies to avoid them in the first place. SVP's and above will never jeopardise their own position if they can find a solution. Lack of leave is just one simple example. It's a dangerous mix of incompetence, arrogance and greed and it's been like it for the last 10 years.

Don't expect any change soon.

Harry

Edited to add, for the 4 individuals who recently posted PM's over the last few weeks asking for unbiased advice, please read above. I apologise for not spending time answering your questions individually but a lack of contractual leave is a step too far, especially given the healthy financial state this Company boasts of and the millions it pays out in PR and advertising. The fact that there was not even the courtesy and respect to inform of us of delayed leave bids on the date it was advertised to be published is a damning indictment of the total lack of respect shown to front line staff. EK, if you want motivated employees and you want to retain them, start with demonstrating basic manners and mutual respect. As for shared goals, I doubt it very much judging by current evidence.

So, do I recommend you join? Come for interview and take it from there. Only you can make that decision and there's enough posts on here to see what the trend is. I will not say no, but neither will I endorse it.

TangoUniform
18th Dec 2015, 16:21
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:ok:

checcker10
20th Dec 2015, 06:53
Afraid you're wrong on this one Harry.
Flights are being cancelled. No FOs.
Obviously not widely publicised and an adjustment of the schedule to cover it up...
Happy Christmas!

Monarch Man
20th Dec 2015, 09:01
Harry, aircraft are being parked or should I say being put in deferred maintenance or delaying entry into service. Flights are being cancelled/combined onto larger airframes, mostly to destinations within 4hrs flying time.

Trader
20th Dec 2015, 09:36
Oslo went to 6 days a week for several months due to lack of crews and the start of Orlando. Back to 7 once the 380 took CPH. From a manager.

The resignations are picking up too! The number of Americans with interviews scheduled has been jumping.

But there is no issue--so back to work everyone.

BANANASBANANAS
20th Dec 2015, 10:04
Just had a call from a friend involved in the British Airways 'experienced pilot' recruitment roadshows asking if I was interested.

I'm not, but I was very surprised to learn that the upper age limit they are looking at is 58. Not a mis print. Fifty Eight.

fliion
20th Dec 2015, 12:46
Wrong Harry.

Sent you a PM

A second daily EK 777 destination quietly cancelled due 'shortage' according to station manager. Hoping to get it back soon.

Basic Service
20th Dec 2015, 14:30
Well I'm going along for a chat, why not? Have a wee chat with Nigel and see wots wot.. 58 sounds pretty old for just F/O's...

DCS99
21st Dec 2015, 05:15
I learn more here than I read on GW

Search results for 'Emirates' | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net//?s=Emirates)

777-200LR
22nd Dec 2015, 06:09
How about all the "one off flights" the A380 did a few weeks ago to Doha, Sao Paulo, Tehran etc. It may look like company PR, probably is, but its also one less 777 flight to crew up. Just a thought

Bartholomew
5th Jan 2016, 21:17
"Despite what we might think, and perhaps secretly wish for, this Company will never park aircraft."

Harry,

Didn't hear it with my own ears...

380 skipper
12 days ago
Wash-up with Management

"..... we are now actively parking planes due lack of crew...."

TPD111
6th Jan 2016, 03:14
Change the bond back to 3 years / 36k USD and you'll find some jet guys applying again... The 5 bond seems to have deterred many applicants

A320CaptDav
6th Jan 2016, 04:20
3 years bond - haha:D thats gonna let the people out of this kingdom 2 years earlier, A mass exodus , last I heard was they wanna increase it to 7 years :roll eyes:- they wanna lock you in chains LOL