PDA

View Full Version : Crew availability

welliewanger
17th Dec 2015, 00:16
For the 2 - 3 crew operators who have no official schedule, how quickly does your company require you to be available if you are rostered on OR off?

No prizes for guessing why I'm asking!

Globally Challenged
17th Dec 2015, 06:39
Long story short:

We didn't even have a roster - so effectively 365 days on unless the aircraft was away with the other 2 pilots or in maintenance.

Owner flights were generally notified at least a day in advance (don't recall it ever being less than 24 hours to be fair) but charters could be short as 2-3 hours.

Pretty horrific and fortunately that 'operation' is now behind me where it belongs.

Global_Global
17th Dec 2015, 08:22
Really depending on the owner, the management company if available and you. :suspect:

I had all kind of arrangements and in the end it comes down to you.... :ouch:

moonym20
17th Dec 2015, 10:31
With a previous operator we were either working or on standby 365. It was regularly the case where we would drop the plane at the hanger, airline home and get a call hours later ordering us to position back out immediatley to pick up another trip. Either that or a 'short trip' would roll over for several weeks. We could call for relief crew... But we would only be phoning ourselves :}

welliewanger
17th Dec 2015, 20:29
Thanks for the replies, I'm not surprised by the style of operations. But if the office called and wanted you to fly in 3 hours but you were unable for the next 12 hours, then what?

Miles Magister
22nd Dec 2015, 11:00
WW,
That is how it is. If you are not fit for 12 hours you must have the moral courage to stick to that. It is your life and licence. If you go in and fly in less than 12 hours it will go horribly wrong sometime soon. Just remember sometimes you need longer than 12 hours.

Stay safe.