PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning class bravo airspace from Paradise VOR to Van Nuys VOR on v186

turbopropulsion
13th Dec 2015, 19:45
Hi there,

As per the title, when attempting to navigate through the LA basin from Riverside to Van Nuys is it possible to simply fly victorway186 direct from PDZ to VNY on the 278 radial? If 8,500 would be chosen then the route would pass through two of the class B outer shelves. Is this possible?

westhawk
13th Dec 2015, 20:10
Yes it's possible to do that if SOCAL approach issues an explicit clearance to enter the class bravo airspace. Many pilots flying on V-186 find it more expedient to avoid the need to enter the class B airspace either by deviating around it to the north or by flying at an altitude so as to pass below the shelf. Keep in mind that V-186 at 8,500' is in fairly close proximity to inbound LAX traffic.

Please be sure to obtain an explicit clearance to enter class B airspace if flying under VFR. I know of two cases where pilots violated that very airspace thinking that their receipt of flight following services authorized entry into the class B airspace. Both pilots incorrectly applied the rules for class C airspace to operations in class B airspace!

I personally prefer to just fly below the shelf, but would consider deviating to the north or perhaps even attempting to obtain a clearance if conditions required the higher altitude. Even when flying that route under IFR, your clearance will take you up to POM then VNY to avoid conflicting with LAX arrivals.

Safe and happy flying in SOCAL!

westhawk

turbopropulsion
13th Dec 2015, 20:18
Thanks for the swift reply.

I have to show thorough planning for my checkride but there always seems to be a trade off. Ideally I'd like to be as high as possible to remain within gliding distance of all airports. At 8,500 I'd be within gliding distances all along my intended route. But then I run into airspace issues.

As a bit of background, I'm starting out from KCRQ (Palomar- carlsbad) and have chosen the inland route up to French Valley and across. The alternative would be the direct route over the ocean direct to Vincent Thomas Bridge and flying the established coastal route on the 123 radial off LAX. However the latter has far less emergency landing spots and I'm going to be judged on my decision making skills.

I feel like I'm damned either way! Haha, any thoughts?

westhawk
13th Dec 2015, 22:07
I feel like I'm damned either way! Haha, any thoughts?

True! But there are other efficient options available that don't rely upon Victor airways or unnecessarily long and circuitous routing. You might wish to discuss these options with your instructor. I certainly don't wish to give any more than just general advice out to the student of another instructor over the internet!

Hint: Develop several routing options. Then look at each one to find what's good and bad about it. Examine each for advantages versus disadvantages. Eliminate options with unsolvable problems or unacceptable safety threats. Now rank the remaining options in order of safety and efficiency. Pick the most suitable plan. Discuss your planning process with your instructor.

Passing checkrides is all about knowing what to do and remaining calm enough to access what you know so that you do it well. The planning and oral examination phases of the check work the same way.

Best of success on your ride!

And do tell how it goes please?

westhawk

Gomrath
16th Dec 2015, 21:18
It isn't clear as to what this is a Checkride for?
I am assuming Private certificate - based on the question being asked.

If so - remember that if you are student pilot you may not enter Class B airspace unless you were trained in that particular Class B airspace itself and have the endorsement stamped in the logbook.
FAR 61.95 refers.

If my assumptions are wrong - I apologize.

turbopropulsion
29th Feb 2016, 19:57
For whatever reason, I'm not receiving emails notifying me of responses, so I apologize for the LATE response.

It was for a private check ride yeah and I passed :ok:

I sailed through the oral part. He was just looking to see if I took everything into account. The fact that I had pro's and con's for each route and stage along each route really impressed him. I guess my tentative nature to this really helped.

Advice to people with upcoming check rides - think about everything!

westhawk
2nd Mar 2016, 04:33
Congratulations Turbo!

Now get out there and take your family and friends for a ride! (if you can convince them...)