PDA

View Full Version : Accomodation

kat127
13th Dec 2015, 09:13
Hey
Can anyone tell me about Hassain Nasar Ahmed building in Dubai? I have been allocated temp accomodation there and cant find any information on it?

Thanks

White Knight
13th Dec 2015, 10:42
Probably hasn't been built yet! Just a hole in the sand... Good luck!

BigGeordie
13th Dec 2015, 12:04
You may also be surprised at the company definition of 'temporary'.

Am NOT Sure
16th Dec 2015, 21:02
Temporary : anything less than a year

Do yourself a favor and opt out

Uplink
19th Dec 2015, 10:09
Totally agree with am not sure!

Opt out, as the less you have to do with the accommodation dept the better. They are singularly the most incompetent department in the company !

harry the cod
19th Dec 2015, 19:54
Oh, I don't know........EGIT may give them a good run for their money for that title!

Harry

Basic Service
20th Dec 2015, 05:02
Can you still opt out? Stories circulating about some that have had that request denied, others appear to have no problem....Costs the company a fortune compared to the Kibbutz's Meydan way....:}

sheikhmahandy
20th Dec 2015, 10:48
In light of recent events, Can someone please state the allowance for Captains if

you opt out of company accommodation? Went looking in staff manual but no

joy. :ugh:

ExDubai
20th Dec 2015, 11:39
170 K as far as I remember

Anothet question would be if opt out is still an option. Meydan is due to delivery and they want to fill it. It's a lot cheaper for them.

Man Flex 37.5
20th Dec 2015, 11:54
Captains get 192,900 per year.

PositiveRate876
20th Dec 2015, 12:12
Haven't heard of it but is sounds dodgy.

Opt out. Accommodation standards are going to the dogs, and rents are coming down.

kat127
22nd Dec 2015, 17:05
Certainly is a lot of negativity on this forum. Have already opted out of staff accommodation but have temp accommodation while Im looking. Only wanted to know if anyone knew where the building was, cant find it on google and sometimes these things are known by other names. Thanks anyway

Fuzuma
22nd Dec 2015, 19:35
Hi kat,

As a matter of interest, if one opts out of the staff accommodation, how long are you able to stay in temp accommodation that is offered? Is the temp accommodation paid for by the company or is it for your account?

JAARule
22nd Dec 2015, 20:28
Totally agree with am not sure!Be careful whose advice you listen to. Moving out on day one is a silly plan as, firstly, you have no idea about the building on offer. Move in and see it for yourself. Secondly, in the long term, taking the allowance is fraught with opportunities to go wrong. Anything can happen in this part of the world; it's not stable. Tying yourself to a rental (or mortgage) debt on the basis of a promise from the company to pay has a lot of risk. That it has worked well for a lot of the guys the last ten years or so is no indication of what is ahead in terms of both company policy and regional conditions.

kat127
22nd Dec 2015, 21:00
Wev been told initially a month to six weeks while we find a place but they said its not a problem if it needs to be extended but we would have to pay beyond the 6 weeks. Wait and see I guess. Accommodation allowance is pretty generous and there seems to be a lot of property available.

vfenext
23rd Dec 2015, 01:38
The allowance is only generous if you don't consider the water and electricity bills you will have to pay. In summer months you'll find yourself paying a lot for utilities. Opting out from day one isn't a good idea especially since the predictions are for rents to stabilise and increase as 2020 looms (Expo).

Captain Biggles84
23rd Dec 2015, 02:04
What's allowance for F/O's if they opt out?

Denbi
23rd Dec 2015, 12:31
I just got the letter to move out of my company villa. I heard that about 400 other pilots should have got the same letter. There is a few options available other than Maydan South, but I guess they want all of us there within a few years anyway. Had a look there yesterday..... just so depressing. it will take years before it will have any sense of acceptable environment to live there. :sad:

Desdihold
23rd Dec 2015, 13:58
Denbi,
Sorry to read about another colleague receiving "the" letter, especially just before Christmas.

Can you state which complex you are in?
I presume more than one pilot received the letter,

Try to have a merry Christmas

BigGeordie
23rd Dec 2015, 15:14
I don't really think it matters which set of villas it is- within the next few years all the company villas will be in Meydan. Moving anywhere else now will only mean moving again in a couple of years. Or possibly months.

At least this is one aspect of the company messing with our lives we have some control over. We can't do anything about 100 hour rosters and four day blocks of forced leave in February but we can still take the allowance and choose where to live. You won't get a four bedroom palace in Jumeirah for the money but you can do better than Meydan. You may need to top up the allowance a little bit but what price being free of the less than accommodating accommodation department? Or buy somewhere- after 20 years (if you stay that long) the company has bought you a house. Has to be a better bet than the provident fund even in the Dubai property market.

Captain Biggles84
24th Dec 2015, 04:15
What is the opt out allowance for Capt's and F/O's at EK?
It's not on their website...
Is that lump sum inclusive of utilities as well, or is their an allowance for that also?

Is it a annual payment or per month

Cheers

CB

DuneMentat
24th Dec 2015, 05:23
FO about 173k and Capt 193k

it is paid per month but you can opt for an advance in which case they pay it 6 months at a time

319/320
26th Dec 2015, 07:03
I can't find the document that states the allowance amount. Unfortunately, I need it for my divorce. Can anybody tell me where I can find it, Thanks. Happy New Year!

fatbus
26th Dec 2015, 07:52
Contract adjustment letter maybe

fliion
26th Dec 2015, 09:23
319/20

Check your company inbox on June 6, 2014 - effective July 1, 2014.

The Pay Review included the Accom increase from 14,950 to 16,975 for FD07 - 13,325 to 14,325 FD06

319/320
27th Dec 2015, 13:32
Thanks for the specific directions on where to find it. I had deleted my inbox about a month ago, so I don't have it anymore. I looked on the portal and found it under DL messages, but the attached file that came with it can't be opened. Can anybody please PM me the salary letter from June 2014???. Thank you in advance.

what_goes_up
27th Dec 2015, 13:49
319/320
Try again. It works fine for me from DL messages. On the word file that opens you have to activate editing to open the attached pdf file.
Did it in Internet Explorer.

319/320
27th Dec 2015, 15:54
Thanks for the tip. I tried in IE, to my utter frustration, I still can't edit/open/email/save/whatever on that file. If you have it and can pm me the attachment, I would be most appreciative. Cheers.

harry the cod
29th Dec 2015, 20:06
fliion

Just confirm that FD-07 amount, 16975? I'm getting 16075. Could be in for a nice rebate if you're correct!

Now that WOULD make it a happy new year.

Harry

Avid Aviator
30th Dec 2015, 03:40
Its 16,075 unfortunately

fliion
30th Dec 2015, 06:17
Oops typo...sorry Harry no refund

Captain Biggles84
5th Jan 2016, 02:18
Can anyone tell me. If you op out and get the allowance, do you still receive an allowance for furniture ect?

Also I'm assuming your utilities allowance is inculded in the opt out amount?
Can anyone give rough guide on how much per month one needs to allow for utilities or associated cost?

Regards

CB

Kennytheking
5th Jan 2016, 02:35
Biggles,

Nothing extra is paid on top of utilities allowance. You get the 16075 per month and thats it.

Rough cost of water, electricity and cooling is about 1 dhs per sqf per month. So if your place is 2000 sqft in size, expect to pay 2000 dhs pm. This is averaged over the year. More in summer and less in winter. Also depends on how frugal you are but this would be an average.

InnocentBystander
5th Jan 2016, 06:06
Can anyone tell me. If you op out and get the allowance, do you still receive an allowance for furniture ect?

You get a one time payment of about 20'000 dhs for furniture when you opt out of taking company provided furniture at the time of joining. This is true whether you take company accommodation or rent/buy your own.

Captain Biggles84
5th Jan 2016, 06:57
Thanks for all the responses. Is the 20,000 reasonable in furnitioning a 3-4 Bedroom apartment or villa?

I'm asking this as greviences that seem to be happening with Meydan. I think a long term approach would require housing in an area of choice.

I understand if rents go through the roof then that may bite one in the bum. But my wife may be working which will ease the cost of living on us.

Peter Chube
5th Jan 2016, 09:21
When I joined the allowance was 45,000dhs. Not heard that it's gone down. You won't furnish your place with bespoke furniture, but a combination of stuff from Ikea, Home Centre and a couple of nice pieces from the likes of Marina or Crate & Barrel and it's ample.

updown
5th Jan 2016, 10:25
The allowance is 45k, not 20k.

If you opt to take the Furnishing Allowance on joining, you will be given a one off payment of 45,000 AED to spend on appliances, furniture, and soft furnishings.
(Starter pack allowance is not given to those selecting the Housing Allowance / Furnishing Allowance).

This Furnishing Allowance is written off over a period of 5 years.
Should the employee leave within the 5 years, it would be calculated on a pro-rated amount and deducted from your salary.

Company accommodation is furnished with living/dining room/bedroom furniture with curtains and lamps provided as well as refrigerator, oven/stove top, dryer and washing machine. The cost of the furniture (up to 45 000 AED) is written off over a period of 5 years.

If you have chosen unfurnished accommodation, you will be given the Furnishing Allowance of 45,000 AED and you may buy furniture or use this money to bring your own furniture to Dubai. Please note that this amount is inclusive of the Starter Pack allowance. However, the starter pack can be provided upon request from staff prior to joining and this amount will be deducted from the Furnishing Allowance accordingly.

Captain Biggles84
5th Jan 2016, 22:57
Thanks all for the input. Much appreciated.

Given all the negatives I think the biggest key to QOL in a place like Dubai is a nice home so the wife can really feel comfortable.

What would be ratio of crew opting out these days vs company housing?

Is the service or oversight from rented properties a better/worse/similar experience compared with the company ones?

Example if there are electrical issues is it easier to obtain solutions from company sources in Accomodation dept, or renting on your own proves better in reaching solutions

CB