PDA

View Full Version : How can I go from being an Air Force pilot to working for airlines?

pilotwannab1773
11th Dec 2015, 01:26
Hi, this is my last high school year and my plan is to go to my country's Air Force to become a pilot. The thing is, I want to be a commercial pilot, but I'm going to the Air Force since I don't think I'll be able to finance the whole career on a flight school. So my question is, even if I end up flying jet fighters or cargo planes, is it possible to move on from this to working for airlines? And is there like an adaptation training from jet fighters to airliners? Cause, I figure I won't be flying many A320's in the Air Force. Okay so that's my question, thanks a lot in advance!

parkfell
13th Dec 2015, 17:32
As you appear to lack commitment to YOUR airforce, there is every likelihood that they will see through your less than cunning plan, and reject you.

For those who are already in the military, the normal route is to pass the written exams, and depending upon the flying experience be exempt from some/all of the training elements.

Remember that a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Plastic787
13th Dec 2015, 18:05
Did this many moons ago trying to get a flying scholarship for my PPL from the RAF. Passed all the tests only to be told after the interview that they thought it was clear that I wasn't interested enough in the RAF. To be fair, I wasn't. You need to know your airforce inside out and demonstrate your keenness. If you're already thinking ahead to commercial stuff then it'll be difficult to do that. By the way you'd have far more fun in the forces as a pilot, ignoring the difficulties about afterwards.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Dec 2015, 19:04
I have to agree with the two chaps above.

No military flying service will take on anybody who isn't clearly committed to that role and the organisation. If there ever was a day when air forces didn't mind people joining with a view to a later civil flying career, it ended sometime before 1970.

If you want to be an airline pilot, find the money and train for that.

If you want to be a military pilot - put everything into being a military pilot, and don't distract yourself with something that might happen in 20 years after you retire.

G