PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Air Force Viggen!

DuckDogers
20th Jun 2002, 18:11
Six people were burnt by a Swedish Air Force Viggen today the following is an extract from ABC news:

STOCKHOLM, Sweden June 20 — A fighter plane flew too low at a military airport in central Sweden on Thursday, burning six visitors on the ground, three of them seriously, an air force spokesman said.

Radio reports said the Swedish-built "Viggen" or "Thunderbolt" jet swept just 10 yards above the group in the airport near Uppsala, 40 miles north of Stockholm.

Officials did not say how low the plane was flying, but a news release from the air base said the group of seven people were watching a jet exhibition 75 yards from the runway. One of the injured was a pilot in the Italian air force on an official visit, it added.

Christer Ulriksson, a spokesman for the air force's F16 wing in Uppsala, said the injured were three men and three women, all in their 20s. Three suffered serious but not life-threatening burns, he said.

Hospital spokesman Claes Juhlin later said that one was in "very serious condition," one had been released and the other four remained in the hospital for further treatment.

Ulriksson said the distance they were standing from the runway did not violate airport rules, but was "inconveniently close."

It was not clear why the plane flew over the group at such a low altitude, Ulriksson said.

"We do not know why. But we know the members of the group were acquainted with the pilots of this wing so he may have wanted to give them some sort of extra salute," he said. Police have started an investigation.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

STANDTO
21st Jun 2002, 06:55
Blimey

Does anyone remember that unfortunate incident with a Herc a few years ago. Or the cable car and the USAF jet. Time and a place for everything is the phrase that springs to mind.

Ali Barber
22nd Jun 2002, 04:11
It's been a while since I was on a Sqn Exchange with Sweden, but then they were authorised to not below 20 metres overland and 10 metres oversea, unless they were a recce sqn when it was 10 metres everywhere. Weird cockpit as I remember in the Viggen. Height in metres with zero at the bottom of the dial, on the basis that you climb away from the ground underneath you. speed in kilometres per hour and from the back seat you had 2 periscopes so that you could see forward down each side, but with your head in the normal position you couldn't look down both at once. I remember that 1,000 kph at 10 metres while wearing enough survival gear to last a week in the frozen wastes had me looking like a jibbering wreck! Very impressive Air Force and extremely capable, despite relatively low flying rate.

RotaDish
22nd Jun 2002, 06:31
Hmmmm,

Burnt? By what? Jet Blast from Re-Heat presumably. Hmm, in level flight? Probably not. Rocket in, "nort-foot-six" Gate Go!, pull up....maybe......

Sounds like "High Jinks" & "Horse Play" to me!!!!! Silly ******.

Zero ----- Courts Martial in one fly-by.............

To All young readers: I was close to this once (Many Years Ago), I haven't done it since.

"There's always been someone Faster & Lower than you, the next logical step is tumbling metal and more fire than required"

Be wise, learn from other peoples mistakes.

Rota

ShyTorque
22nd Jun 2002, 09:28
Very true!

In all known aircraft accidents involving aircraft and mother earth, the aircraft has always come off worse...

teeteringhead
22nd Jun 2002, 12:16
And remember the Coda I was always taught to Rota's
Be wise, learn from other peoples mistakes
... because you may not live long enough to make them all yourself ...

DB_TWR
25th Jun 2002, 09:18
The rumor now is that he passed the group on the ground at about 5 meters GND, and pulled up hard just over them.
Full AB ofcourse.

Extreemly smart........... :(