PDA

View Full Version : princess scallops

occasional
9th Dec 2015, 12:22
I believe a dish called "smoked princess scallops" used to be served on Concorde. Does anyone remember serving them and what was the customer reaction ?

bricquebec
11th Dec 2015, 09:15
Concorde menus? For years my wife has said 'why do you keep all this rubbish?'. Well, this thread is the answer.
In four BA trips and one Air France trip (all eastbound out of JFK) I never had scallops on the menu. So, can't help, I'm afraid.

Best airline meal, that I remember - consistently the roast beef coming east on TWA out of STL.

Mr Optimistic
13th Dec 2015, 18:42
Admire your positive outlook, but doesn't this prove your wife to be right?

bricquebec
15th Dec 2015, 08:37
Mr Optimistic - I don't even want to think about that one!

I could ask her why she keeps the boarding cards for every flight - even though the year is not printed on them. Monthly return trips for several years between LCY and MAN. All those VLM stubs identical except for the month and day. . .

Hey Ho - each to their own. Happy Christmas

Mr Optimistic
16th Dec 2015, 20:34
Clearly you are very well matched, how on earth did you find each other!

Happy Christmas :)

Ancient Observer
17th Dec 2015, 16:44
I have no memory of Concorde scallops. But I only flew on it once.....

As to best ever meals on planes - The early 90s BA first class long haul with large bits of steak being cut off the very large piece of beef on the trolley. That, with Ch. Lynch Bages. (A 5ème Cru Classé). I can't remember the year, but it was very good indeed.

ImageGear
18th Dec 2015, 18:16
From an old blog....

At 40,000 feet our preordered drinks were delivered (almost everyone had champagne), along with three tiny canaps a tiny onion dipped in cheese and breadcrumbs and deep-fried, a minuscule bundle of carrot and celery sticks, and a scallop.

Imagegear

vctenderness
18th Dec 2015, 19:17
Ancient. You were bloody lucky to get very large pieces of beef cut off the joint on the trolley.

Most of the lads were ordered to cut the beef so thin you could see the logo on the plate through it by the CSO/CSD in order that he could take one home for Sunday lunch with the Missus:}

I once got the Alex Ferguson style 'hairdryer' for going in the galley to get the second joint.

Lynch Bages or Mouton Baron Phillipe were the standard reds - happy days:ok:

crewmeal
20th Dec 2015, 06:36
Most of the lads were ordered to cut the beef so thin you could see the logo on the plate through it by the CSO/CSD in order that he could take one home for Sunday lunch with the Missus

No no no we just told the pax the beef was off, but I also remember a certain CSD held a dinner party using left over Iranian Caviar. The next day the guests went down with severe food poisoning!

vctenderness
20th Dec 2015, 13:15
Quote:

No no no we just told the pax the beef was off, but I also remember a certain CSD held a dinner party using left over Iranian Caviar. The next day the guests went down with severe food poisoning!

Blimey! My cat had a narrow escape then:ok:

strake
21st Dec 2015, 08:05
My late father-in-law was an SCSO in the early-eighties. We indeed ate well when he returned from a trip and I have to say, I don't recall the Chateaubriand being anything other than whole so I'm guessing he used to 'acquire' the spare. As far as the OP's question, I have a few Club and First menus from the late nineties (I know, sad) and a Miami trip shows seared scallops in First. I think Princess just refers to the size - so maybe seared rather than smoked?

Private jet
23rd Dec 2015, 13:34
Yes, I think that "princess" scallop is just a Cheffy, gastroBS term for "small".

occasional
23rd Dec 2015, 21:22
Princess scallops does imply that the scallops are small, but it also implies that they are eaten guts and all. Smoked they are very good, whereas seared/fried they have a peculiar taste which would not normally be regarded as suitable for public consumption.

As far as I know, commercial production of smoked princess scallops ceased when the EU decided to prohibit the smoking of fish and shellfish in the same kiln.

Basil
4th Jan 2016, 10:53
the EU decided to prohibit the smoking of fish and shellfish in the same kiln
Hmm, wonder why that was?

vctenderness
4th Jan 2016, 14:09
Something fishy going on in the EU:ok: