PDA

View Full Version : CASA ATPL Testing approval

float257
9th Dec 2015, 04:58
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone in Hong Kong approved and willing to conduct the new Part 61 Australian ATPL flight test.

Cheers,

wishiwasupthere
9th Dec 2015, 05:18
Good luck! There's hardly anyone in Aus who can do one, let alone overseas! :ugh:

float257
11th Dec 2015, 02:05
Yep, that's the problem. It certainly was nice of CASA to offer to fly here at my expense. $$$

I'm probably not the only one stuck with a CAD CPL based on my Aussie frozen ATPL that is now impossible to upgrade? Anyone had any success?

float257
12th Dec 2015, 04:46
That is true if you already hold an ICAO state issued ATPL (not frozen).

In my case, I hold an Australian CPL with ATPL credits. Until my CASA Licence is upgraded I am locked into the CAD CPL.

CAD does not accept the Australian ATPL theory credits until they are associated with the full ATPL. Only then will they upgrade your CAD licence. This leaves CAD CPL holders who's conversion terms were based on their Australian Frozen ATPL in a bind. It is almost impossible to upgrade your Australian licence following the change to the ATPL requirements since the Part 61 licence change.

If anyone has had a successful CAD licence upgrade I would be most appreciative for some advice and help.

float257
12th Dec 2015, 07:39
I would really like it to be that easy. It gets more tricky when the aircraft you fly doesn't have simulators in Australia, Gulfstream G550 for example. Although CASA has indicated that you are not required to be type rated, they have specified that you are required to perform the flight test maneuvers as per the AFM and of course to ATPL standards. I hope that CASA would agree, a Multi-engined, Multi-turbine, Multi-crew aircraft is not something you just get in and "give it a go" to ATPL standards. Does this encourage and inspire safety? That might be a deeper discussion.

Cool banana
12th Dec 2015, 08:26
Best going stateside, FAA cheaper and easier to maintain unless you have plans to return back to Australia.

float257
12th Dec 2015, 08:58
Agreed, especially in the Corporate sector, FAA is a much simpler option all round. Catch with that is my Australian licence is the backbone of my CAD licence. Even holding EASA, FAA or any other ATPL for that matter, CAD will not budge. The conversion terms are locked into that licence that was used durning initial validation/conversion.

Looks like I'll be paying for a CASA delegate to fly here and conduct the flight test during my next recurrent. That's why I was hoping there may be a chance someone here may be qualified to test or in the process of gaining qualification.

If there is one else in my position or similar that need a testing officer in Hong Kong PM me and we can line up a few tests to save some $$.

Cool banana
13th Dec 2015, 06:12
There is one CASA approved testing examinator in Vietnam.

Check your PM.

Best of luck.

InSoMnIaC
14th Dec 2015, 04:08
Have you looked into doing the rest of the CAD atpl exams. This will allow you to upgrade your licence directly from your HKCAD issued CPL bybassing CASA. This however has a disadvantage. Apparently if you start the hk cad atpl exams and later decided to not complete them, you can no longer go down the casa upgrade route.

nikunjp
10th Nov 2016, 20:55
There is one CASA approved testing examinator in Vietnam.

Check your PM.

Best of luck.

Hey Cool Banana,

Can you send me the details as well please.

Cheers

Dan Winterland
11th Nov 2016, 00:43
The caveat on the HK ATPL "This licence is issued on the basis of the holder's xxxx ATPL" has proved to be a real PITA. It looks as if it's a validation, but it's not as there is no requirement for the holder to keep their original licence current. In many cases such as a UK ATPL, they no longer exist. However, other agencies treat it as a validation and won't convert. You need to convert your original document. Typically, the CAD won't issue any statement clarifying the issue. In this respect, the HK ATPL is unique.

It's also becoming unique in other ways. It is so out of date that other agencies are not allowing it to be used for conversion. Recent émigrés from HK have had their licence refused by other agencies. Keep you original licence current!

stevieboy330
11th Nov 2016, 02:02
I hear 350 plus CX guys applied to QF in the last month !, so you might be at the back of a long line, though I wish you good luck. Part 61 rules have really tightened up, including the recognition of foreign aircraft ratings, MER tests & ATPL's. Best to ring CASA in canberra yourself directly. I have delt with them extensively during the last year & found them to be very helpful & informative. Best of luck finding a better employer !

Arfur Dent
11th Nov 2016, 06:33
"350 guys"! That should make Ivan wake up! And the rest of our arrogant so-called "Leaders" if anything like that number leave.

Arfur Dent
11th Nov 2016, 16:52
He's a hedge-trimmer from the Island apparently. Very good at gardening - or he will be soon!!