PDA

View Full Version : My Route To An EASA fATPL---Opinions and Answers Much Appreciated

CMY.BRYAN
9th Dec 2015, 03:32
Dear fellow Aviators,

I'm from Singapore, 30 yo this year and have recently acquired my FAA CPL SEP/MEP IRA. I also hold an FAA Class 1 Medical.

With not much jobs in this country for N-registered license holders, my next step would be to convert to an EASA CPL with fATPL.

Essentially from what I understand, I bascially need to:

1) Get a EASA Class 1 medical ( UK)
2) Start Studying and Pass ALL 14 ATPL exams
3) Undertake a CPL Skills Test
4) Undertake the ME and IR skills test

My concerns lie mainly with the first 2 steps:

Getting an EASA Class 1 medical

I did a general eye check at my optician yesterday. Results as follows:

Left Eye: -4.0 dioptres myopia, -1.75 astigmatism
Right Eye:-6.0 dioptres myopia. -1.25 astigmatism

Both eyes' axis is 180 degrees and VA is 6/6 for both eyes as well.

As per the CAA's eyesight standards, I meet the requirements for the left eye, but the right eye is right on the dot at -6.0 dioptres.

I am in general good health condition having just completed the FAA Class 1 medical examination 2 days ago

But which medical facility would be much recommended for the initial? NATS Aero in Swanwick Hampshire OR Dr David Tallent Brookdale Medical Centre (Gatwick)?

OR would there be any other pragmatic/practical AMEs that any of you can recommend to do my initial? I am essentially looking for an AME who's not a hard-ass if you understand what I mean. Of course this doesnt mean I should be given any leeway if I obviously do not meet standards by a super huge margin.

I would need to know prior to making any travel arrangements that I should ideally be able to secure the EASA Class 1 medical without much fuss and drama as this is the most economical savvy thing to do.

The 14 ATPL Exams

Essentially, I will be going with Bristol GS. which means 3 trips to the UK for the classroom revision courses prior to the exams.

Considering I am an ICAO CPL holder already, I understand that there is some groundschool hours exemption? However I cant find much info on how many hours do i still require of groundschool. Anyone can help with those numbers?

Regards
Bryan

rudestuff
12th Dec 2015, 15:31
Seeing as you have a CPL but are going for the ATPL exams, I don't think there's much (if any) reduction in hours. As for going 'with' Bristol GS, you'd be forced to visit the UK for classroom work, which unless you get free flights, would be pretty expensive. I think you can take EASA ATPL exams in Kuala Lumpur - so logic tells me there must be a groundschool there somewhere. I would suggest signing up with them, then sign up to bristols question bank anyway, as that's what will get you through.
I went with CATS in the UK, as their course was the cheapest (You just need to be registered with a training provider) Then I studied bristols question bank and google/youtube for anything I didn't understand.

paco
12th Dec 2015, 15:56
You would only get exemptions from ground school if you have an ATP, plus some multicrew time (the numbers escape me at the moment). All it means is that you can self-certify, but given the nature of the questions, it would be a mistake. :)

Having said that, if you have a CPL(A) your course reduces to 400 hours, which means at least 40 hours in the classroom. FCL isn't clear whether that needs to be an EASA CPL(A), but we read it as an ICAO one.

Some schools don't require that much time in a classroom ;).

Phil

BillieBob
13th Dec 2015, 10:23
That's a rather dangerous assumption, Paco, as FCL seems to be perfectly clear on the point.

GM1 FCL.005 Scope

INTERPRETIVE MATERIAL

(a) Whenever licences, ratings, approvals or certificates are mentioned in Part-FCL, these are meant to be valid licences, ratings, approvals or certificates issued in accordance with Part-FCL. In all other cases, these documents are specified.

paco
13th Dec 2015, 12:00
That's not in CAP 804, and the paragraph I read is:

ATP modular course – Aeroplanes
1 Applicants for an ATPL(A) who complete their theoretical knowledge instruction at
a modular course shall:

(a) hold at least a PPL(A) issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago
Convention; and complete at least the following hours of theoretical knowledge
instruction:
(1) for applicants holding a PPL(A): 650 hours;
(2) for applicants holding a CPL(A): 400 hours;
(3) for applicants holding an IR(A): 500 hours;
(4) for applicants holding a CPL(A) and an IR(A): 250 hours.
The theoretical knowledge instruction shall be completed before the skill test for
the ATPL(A) is taken.

The CPL(A) is mentioned in the same breath. But the best place to ask is always [email protected]

Phil

Alex Whittingham
14th Dec 2015, 08:26
In the past the UK CAA have said it needs to be an EASA or JAA CPL to qualify for the exemption but, who knows, policy may have changed.

paco
14th Dec 2015, 12:42
The other thing to note about the last paragraph (and this is a common query) is that the theoretical knowledge must be completed before the skill test is taken, so you can train while you are studying. Also, it doesn't mention taking exams.......

Phil

ersa
14th Dec 2015, 13:09
You will find the schools require the exams passed before starting the training

paco
14th Dec 2015, 14:10
That's up to them, but it isn't necessary. I have the confirmation from ltspolicy.

phil

paco
15th Dec 2015, 13:23
And just to confirm:

"You are correct, an ICAO CPL holder only needs to complete 400 hours of theoretical knowledge."

Phil

Alex Whittingham
15th Dec 2015, 14:04
Could you email me the full reply from the CAA, please Phil? It would be useful to have on file.

paco
15th Dec 2015, 14:22
Done!

Phil

seen_the_box
16th Dec 2015, 09:59
The initial class one must be done at the CAA at Gatwick.

sspencer1248
22nd Dec 2015, 12:12
Converting your licenses would be a waste of money. There may be no jobs in Singapore but most definitely there are jobs elsewhere in Asia.