PDA

View Full Version : Virgin super hub...wifi slows my ethernet connected PC.

magpienja
8th Dec 2015, 21:13
Hi all running win 7 on a desktop...with an Ethernet connection to a Virgin Super Hub.

If wifi is enabled it can make the PC run very slow..not just the net...if I turn off wifi on the hub the PC seem much better.

My wife likes the wifi for use with her phone.

Are these Virgin hubs troublesome.

BEagle
15th Dec 2015, 10:55
I've had a Virgin SuperHub 2 for about a year now and it's been fine.

I don't use Ethernet, but use dual-concurrent WiFi for 6 devices, 3 of which use 5GHz. My primary computer connects at 75Mbps downstream / 5 Mbps upstream which is Virgin's cheapest option and is certainly fast enough for my purposes.

I haven't noticed the computer slowing down, although my back-up is rather a slow HP TouchSmart, which has rather a poor internal 2.4GHz only WiFi card, so is connected using a NetGear 5GHz adapter.

str12
16th Dec 2015, 19:40
The Virgin SuperHub is fine, try rebooting it and make sure the firmware is up-to-date.

Also, change your Wi-Fi to use 5GHz (if your WiFi devices can handle that frequency) because the 2.4 GHz range is getting crowded with DECT / cordless phones and other devices and your neighbours Wi-Fi may be contending for the same frequency / channels.

Ancient Observer
17th Dec 2015, 16:51
Brother in Law has Virgin set up with main pc (W7) on cable, and lots of wifi around. Has no reported problems like yours.