PDA

View Full Version : help me please!!! ATPL decision to make

moo
20th Jun 2002, 16:20
I've just finished my HNC (aeronautical engineering) and am considering all the options available to me. I have a PPL and have full intention of getting an ATPL whatever it takes. I'm an avionic technician with the world's favourite earning just over £20000 and have a few options come september. At the moment I don't have the capital I need to fund the practical part of the course, but in two years I would've hoped to have saved a fair bit and am fortunate to have an uncle who has a fair amount of cash lying around, as well as the option of the HSBC loan - so would like to think that I would've gotten together £40000.

1. five more years part-time study to get a degree (from that point, who knows where or how - well paid job??)
2. start my ATPL theory course studying from home and save a fair bit of money - approx two years
3. go and get a well-paid avionic technician job in Saudi (there are opportnities at the moment) and save and study at the same time - approx two years
4. Apply for an ATC scholarship with NATS or Eurocontrol (I know its 5 years+ and its not piloting, but its good money and 100% relevant so long term a swap of career is possible)
5. Short-term service (5 years) with the RAF (I don't fancy this much...)

I think thats them all - I'm 22 years old and if any CEPs come up in the next few years I would apply for those too.
Personally, having been in actual classes for all of my study to this point (A levels, BA training, HNC) it might not sound like it, but it is quite a daunting thought not having a 'school' to go to anymore. I'm generally academic and have put many evenings and weekends worth of work into all the above so I'm certain I've got the discipline to do the ATPL course on my tod, but should a CEP come up in a two years time, what do I tell the panel that i've been doing for two years - it could obviously be seen as a negative thing by BA and probably most of the other airlines, they wouldn't want a 'know-it-all' amongst their fresh new students would they???
I think i've already made up my mind that i'll be doing options 2 or 3, just would appreciate some thoughts......

p.s. has anyone used the JAA ATPL Jeppesen manuals (the ones that are advertised in Transair's catalogue??) or are there better notes to be had???

thank you in advance to anyone who gives a bit of time to reply to this, I REALLY appreciate it.

cheers

Send Clowns
20th Jun 2002, 17:03
Certainly for someone in your situation (i.e. good job with an employer sympathetic to aviation) consider the distance learning seriously. It means you get the continuity of work, keeping the financial pressure to a minimum time. You also have the perks of BA - cheap flying at the flying club (I assume that is still available), cheap flights (to the US for flying, perhaps?). You can develop contacts through work to help you into a career, or at least to know what chief pilots are looking for.

The course should not be too tough, as you have a numerate background with relevant disciplines.

However you do it, best of luck, live your dream!

P.Pilcher
20th Jun 2002, 19:25
From what you say, I suspect you are not so old as to consider age to be something which could affect your chances when you are looking for your first airline job. Having done it, (it paid off the loan I took out for my I.R.) I can recommend Saudi if you are given the chance. A very different but fascinating lifestyle and you will be working in the heat! But, having spent a portion of the money you have earned on your full time Oxford course or similar for your A.T.P.L., think of how much more interesting you will be at interview than your colleagues with similar qualifications and bank loans above their heads!

Remember my final decision for giving up a well paid teaching job in the U.K. and working on contract in Saudi was "what if I don't - I will ask myself that question for the rest of my life."

all the best.

biped
20th Jun 2002, 22:17
moo. I think jeppesen now do the notes for oxford. Therefore they would be the oxford notes, which were always the best of the notes I've seen (and I saw a few sets) especially for self study!

pseudorandomnoise
21st Jun 2002, 13:00
Moo, I guess you've reached a real turning point.

If it were me, save up the money and do a f/t modular theory based course. Swiftly followed by the cpl/ir training. Airlines are becoming more and more aware of this route. It also gives you one of the best chances of passing most things first time.

I'm sure I'll upset someone by saying that in my view, the next year is prob a very good time to start. I don't know whether this timescale is achievable because of your mention of 2yrs time. But maybe that uncle of yours might well assist.

Its a really difficult decision, and indeed a brave one especially given the current climate. But things are improving albeit slowly. By the time you've finished you may find that your on the market on the up-turning market, and thus greatly improving your chances of securing work.

Good luck anyway. Incidently are you still a member of CWFC?:)

moo
21st Jun 2002, 14:04
thank you pseudorandomnoise. I'm glad that it isn't just me thinkning i've hit this huge decision, I really have! I'm sure there will be plenty more to make and I feel for every single person on this forum who has at some time had to part with huge amounts of money and have basicallly gambled everything on getting this career.
Unfortunately, since BA kicked out all overtime, I have not been over to the club for a while. I bought a house which kinda killed everything flying wise short-term, but it has come up trumps and i've made £20000 on it - thinking bout selling up and moving back with the crumblies for a while, could invest £20000 quite wisely methinks. Possible promotion coming up though, so my head is all over the place - what you these days?