PDA

View Full Version : Am I too old to start training for an airline career?

troy01
1st Mar 2001, 07:14
Just wondering, anyone with any advice about starting to train for an airline pilot career at 28 years of age ? Am I too old ? What's the quickest way to do it in Australia ? Does anyone know of any Cadetship programs ? Thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

James#1
1st Mar 2001, 08:38
I HOPE NOT AS I AM 28 ALSO! LOL
I KNOW OF FRIENDS WHO IN THERE LATE THIRTIES UNDERTOOK COMMERCIAL FLIGHT TRAINING AND WHO NOW FLY FOR THE AIRLINES. THE YOUNGER THE BETTER IN THE EYES OF A PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYER WHO WOULD BE LOOKING FOR A RETURN IN THERE INVESTMENT IF THEY PROVIDE THE LINE AND TYPE TRAINING.
GOOD LUCK

Check-in
1st Mar 2001, 09:10
28 certainly not too old to start, just so long as you have enough money to see it all the way through within a reasonable time span. You don't want to be still buiding hours when you are 40. Oz a good place to train, if you have the right to residency, because there is a thriving g.a. industry where you would eventually get that first job. I say eventually, cos it ain't a foregone conclusion that you will step straight into a flying job. Just be prepared to go bush and do the rough stuff, which invariably includes washing and cleaning aeroplanes, for a couple of years.
Unless your daddy is already on the hiring panel, you are unlikely to get an airline job straight away in this country. May be different in Europe, but then the Oz training wouldn't be of any help in getting the new JAA licence. Hit the search key here and you will find plenty of commentary on how the airlines hire. It isn't all based on merit or whether or not you think you deserve it, either.

batty
1st Mar 2001, 13:31
I hope not! I started at 33 and just finished a month ago at 35. Your not too old but dont hang about too long.
I dont know what the job market is like in Oz but in the UK the first job is V hard to get so go to a good school because it helps. My first interview is from a recommendation from my school, flying 737.
There were people at 40 starting out , but I do think that is starting too push it!

The man formerly known as
1st Mar 2001, 17:19
28 too old!!!!!

I almost chucked it all at 35 thinking I was too old then I heard about a (female) pilot who started PPL training at 50 and got a RHS at 57 (admittedly TPs but its flying). Then I thought what the hey lets go for it.

Also that argument about the Airlines return on investment is questionable. If you are 21 or 40 when you get your first TP job you will leave it sharpish for a Jet job. The 40 year old may be the better bet (less likely to get taken on by Jet airlines). Also at 40 you still have 20 years to go.

I know many more pilots who started at flying airlines at 20 and by 40 have got so fed up with flying they have gone to desk jobs.

If you have a CPL IR and are any way presentable you have as much chance as anyone else. It just a question of how much you want it....

AV8 consultants
2nd Mar 2001, 02:54
I too started at 28. I'm now 38 and am 130 hours short of the minima for QANTAS !!!
I am an Instructor and will knock off the hours in a matter of months. Have IFR and yet to do ATPL but that's only 4 weeks study.
I did not go north either instead I had to stay in the city to honour commitments. It has been a long haul but I NEVER gave up and now I can smell it!! Roll on baby!!
My advice is to go for it and don't look back. Do all the theory straight up first while your young, as the brain starts to slow down a bit after 36ish. Goodluck

PS TROY01 what is your email and/or phone number? I'd like to discuss further at length.

[This message has been edited by AV8 consultants (edited 01 March 2001).]

multi405
2nd Mar 2001, 06:15
Don,t believe 28 is too old personally.I started flying at 27 and within 4yrs only have ATPL to complete before approaching the regionals/airlines.Seems to take forever clocking up those hours,but i look at it this way-i was paid(admittidly poorly)to see Australia,i think i,m very lucky?.It,s an amazing learning curve this industry and does take time and $$$ to get there,but still can,t think of another job i,d rather be doing!.Goodluck.

Hap
2nd Mar 2001, 17:03
I'm 28 too! I'll be starting my course shortly and I can't wait!

I finally made my mind up when I thought "hmm, when I'm 65 and I look back, will I wish I'd signed up for that flying course?"...

G SXTY
2nd Mar 2001, 19:59
Well I'm 29 & 6 hours into my PPL. Can't really add any more than has been said, except that if you've got a dream, you've got to go for it.

I'd rather have a go & risk failure than get to 55 & think 'why didn't I try?'.

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.

Hermie
2nd Mar 2001, 20:19
Hi,

I'm 18 years old. And I thought I'm too old to start flying. Well because only 10 years later will I be given an opportunity to take up flying. Back here in SINGAPORE<it sux>, to join the Airline as a Cadet Pilot you have to be 28 years old. And I think thats freaking load of crab meat. Talking about, Age commensurates with experience. Such contradictory. Why does other Airlines take in young pilots ?

Is there any other way that I can start off. Besides I think SQ don't take pilots who have previous experience to start off as a F/O. WHAT CAN I DO ? Do other Airlines takes pilots with previous experience to start off as a F/O or S/O ? Do they still need 1500hrs too ? How long does it take to build up that amount of hours ? Is there really a shortage of pilots or going to be ?

Which flying school is cheap, Nah.. affordable !! ANd not too bad and not too far away from home cause the further I am away from home, I'm gonna spend more money !!

HELP me TOO ?

Thanx yer all !!

Cheers & God Bless,
Herman

mariosbros
2nd Mar 2001, 21:11
AV8, do you honestly think just because you meet the QF reqmts that you automatically deserve a position. Believe it or not there is quite an involved process of selection, just because the requirements meet up doesn't mean things just 'roll on'.

The APTL is also alot more involved than just turning up for a four week course. You are very confident of your own ability, i wish you all the best http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by mariosbros (edited 02 March 2001).]

MaxProp
3rd Mar 2001, 00:57
from the other side--- 28 is ok but a minute longer---in the uk you need to have the licence and apply by about 30 to have a realistic chance for initial entry to an airline----afte that you will need significant commercial experience.

EggBeta
3rd Mar 2001, 01:54
Max prop,
I find your comment extremely narrow minded, where do yuo get this opinion from, its like one I have never heard before?

Jim lovell
3rd Mar 2001, 09:11
mario agreed about the ATPL theory part. Many people think they'll sit all 7 in one go and be done with it- if that's the plan then good luck! I've got 4 subjects knocked off so far and have sat AASA numerous times-what a bastard of an exam!!

Airborne Hamster
5th Mar 2001, 00:08
I've known many people who have started twenty years - plus your senior and who've been successful.It's not age (to a certain degree), it's the personal qualities in people the airlines are looking for.
Best of luck mate!

AH

Ja
5th Mar 2001, 04:30
Why so many 'threads' re Too Old ? Chase the dream! To do anything less is cheating yourself. If the dream is strong enough you will succeed! and you friends and family will stick by you and love you all the more for trying!

------------------
VNE or nothing

Sagey
5th Mar 2001, 17:21
I totally agree JA.

I am 22 leaving Uni and am skint. Will be applying for sponsorship etc, and if unlucky first time will reapply and reapply whilst always attempting to get the best non aviation job I can find to get the money together to get the dream through private funding.

I don't want to wake up in 30 years and go "If only I had tried harder"

Sagey

MaxProp
6th Mar 2001, 00:07
EggBeta sorry for delay. not my personal opinion, but trying to be helpful about what actually happens in uk.my own employer often
hire older-- but with some trepidation about the (proven) training risk.

BlipOnTheRadar
6th Mar 2001, 03:27
I started my PPL when I was 22, that was eleven years ago. I hope to complete it in the next month or so. Why so long?? lack of money to start with, then bad advice form bad friends, then tragedy and just lately not being able to get a Class 1.

I know of ATPL's who started flying in their late thirties and are now Captains. Age does not always count against you, your attitude does however, give them what they require and the airlines will be happy.

The struggle to achieve the goal is half the fun. There is "struggle" and there is "ridiculousness". I have the time, the energy, the dedication, the cash..... all I need is a little piece of beige card that says "Class 1"... ain't life grand?

Keep you eye on the ball and fly safe.

BlipOnTheRadar

AV8 consultants
6th Mar 2001, 03:39
Mario Bros,
At no time did I inferr that I automatically deserved a job with QF. I do understand the process of selection as I have had friends go thru that same process and I already work for an airline in the flight department, therefore I am familiar with the process.

I hope to get into the airline yes, but I never said I deserved or expected to get the position. I like many others will soon have the requirements to apply.To think I deserved a job would be arrogant.

Thanks for the good wishes but you should be careful how you express yourself in your replies, you don't make friends by saying egotistical crap like that. Oh and by the way I have studied the ATPL at university level over one year not your stated 4 weeks. I am doing the 4 week course as a refresher.
An "honest" apology would be appreciated.

rock_the_tower
7th Mar 2001, 02:27
I started taking flying lessons with 33 and finished Swiss CPL/IR/Twin rating/frozen ATPL with 35 and a total of 230 hrs. Have a master of science in materials engineering and science and had a very good job within the technology and development center of a big company but I desperately wanted to live from what I love...and that is flying. Got recently hired by Crossair and will start on June 5th. Why do I accept a huge pay cut compared to what I earned before? Because you only live once and I don't want to end up saying with 65 " why didn't I try ?!"

If you work for your dream you WILL finally make it.

Cheers

rtt

EggBeta
7th Mar 2001, 05:37
rock the tower,
My thoughts exactly! Nice one.

knighty
11th Mar 2001, 12:40
I'm 28 years old also and I believe everyone else started too early!!!!
Keep at it brother rabbit!
Do us a favour and check out my post, very origionally titled CONFUSED...
Shed any light?

TNT67
11th Mar 2001, 15:35
Bloke,

What do I say. I'm 33, and today had a long chat with a man about turning my (seemingly) paltry 200 odd hours into something worthwhile and sustainable. If you want, we can race! Hope to see you @ QF one day.

I'm greatly heartened by all the replies above, and can only wish you well.

"Sound, sound the clarion,
Fill the fife,
Throughout the sensual world proclaim -
One crowded hour of glorious life,
Is worth an age without a name."

Thomas Osbert Mordaunt

------------------