PDA

View Full Version : Training & Subsequently Working in Canada

JonnyHolbs
7th Dec 2015, 23:28
Hi everyone! Wannabe here.

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong place- I was torn between posting it in here and in the 'Canada' forum.

Secondly, I've trawled threads dating back around 15 years, and while I appreciate some of the info will be outdated, I've gleaned what I can. However, apologies if this has been covered before.

I'm a British citizen currently at university. After I finish university, I'm looking at the possibility of undertaking an ab initio CPL in Canada. From what I gather, the sensible thing to do would be to get a multi-engine and an instrument rating on top of these, taking the total to roughly $45-50k, including fuel surcharge and 13%(?) tax. Am I missing anything glaringly obvious here?

Lastly, I'm looking to hopefully remain in Canada after training and work- I've heard that some places take on their students as instructors after training- is this still the case for non-Canada nationals? I would ideally be looking to 'bush' flying, rather than commercial airline type stuff initially, as I'm aware the cost of an fATPL would push the price up further.

Thanks in advance for the help, and apologies once again if this has already been covered.

Cheers,

Jonny

ersa
8th Dec 2015, 03:15
I would think twice about "we give our trainees jobs on graduation " use your degree to get residence , then get your licence....The aviation world has a load of bull**** flowing sometimes

paco
8th Dec 2015, 05:22
Agreed - that should not be a factor in your decision - nice if it happens, but don't bank on it.

I would recommend taling to Adam Penner at harvsair.com in Manitoba - he has a feel for the Canadian industry and runs a good school as well.

Bush flying wouldn't necessarily require an M/E and IR, but you could look at a float plane rating - after 500 hours that might get you into firefighting.

phil

striker26
8th Dec 2015, 12:24
Aside from all the "marketing" of Harv's air, with any school there is no guarantee. Be careful with international fees as well as some schools differentiate whether you are a Canadian citizen or international student. I'm currently on my way to completing my CPL here in Toronto while working full time. The job i have pays the bills, and i save enough every month to obtain consistent training, i have a degree and some security. When im ready, ill leave the business and pursue flying full time. This is something you should consider doing IN THE UK first.

Canada has a great aviation record and for us citizens once you have enough experience you can get into the regionals and work your way up BUT it is very competitive we dont have an abundance of airlines like in the US or UK - something you should consider.

Last thing ill say - i was told "there was a good chance after i complete my CFI rating id get a job" with my school. Its looking good now, but nothing was ever written on paper. Outweigh your risks and costs - especially of living and consider home first.

paco
8th Dec 2015, 13:42
Nobody's "marketing" anything. I know from personal experience of their qualities. If you are near Boundary Bay in BC, proIFR would also be a good bet. But, as with any school, you have to visit them to see if you are comfortable.

phil

JonnyHolbs
11th Dec 2015, 17:36
Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. Much appreciated.

Working & doing CPL simultaneously definitely sounds like the best option, aside from the amount of work it'll involve!