PDA

View Full Version : Midair have gone into receivership

NutLoose
7th Dec 2015, 17:12
One just hopes something can be done to keep the Canberra and Hunters flying, it is such a shame as the guy must have put a fortune into getting the PR 9 flying on the uk register.

http://www.pkfcooperparryrestructuring.com/sites/cooperparryrestructuring/files/Buyer%20sought%20for%20MIDAIR%20SQUADRON%20Trio%2018%2011%20 16.pdf

Wander00
7th Dec 2015, 18:31
That's all a bit sad

Lima Juliet
7th Dec 2015, 18:35
All that money wasted on the Vulcan and its ridiculous manpower overheads, when we could have these three flying for many years...travesty! :(

LJ

Herod
7th Dec 2015, 19:35
I suppose it's asking too much for the government to block the sale to anyone abroad, as they do with significant works of art, which these are.

just another jocky
7th Dec 2015, 19:39
It is indeed a crying shame that it has ended this way.

The owner put a lot of time and a heck of a lot of his own money into restoring not only XH134, the Canberra PR9, but also the 2 Hunters with his vision of keeping an icon of British Aviation heritage flying. Also, the full-time engineers & volunteers at C2 Aviation at Kemble did an outstanding job of restoring them to flying condition and they were beautifully presented at every event.

And for one season, we had so much fun flying them.

If I could, I'd buy XL577; she makes a beautiful blue note at anything over 320kts :E.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIIMZX7Q6hM

Hopefully, a UK buyer can be found and they will fly again, soon.

Mike51
7th Dec 2015, 22:38
On the subject of Hunters, did the second one ever fly under Midair's ownership? And presumably any prospective UK Hunter buyer will not be parting with serious amounts of cash until the CAA grounding of the type is lifted, so there must be a real possibility of them heading abroad in the meantime.

just another jocky
8th Dec 2015, 04:59
No Mike, it never flew.

AtomKraft
8th Dec 2015, 10:40
I don't suppose 'Shoreham' did their business any favours....

NutLoose
8th Dec 2015, 12:03
They had announced a 1 year stand down from displaying to sort out paperwork etc prior to Shoreham I think, so no revenue, just outgoings... I just hope it can be turned around. Shoreham will have a knock on for the next season though as bookings will have dried up for Hunters.

falcon12
8th Dec 2015, 12:52
Having been involved in the original disposal of the last three PR9's from the MoD , I also investigated, like Mike Davis, putting one back into the air. Mike did it with 134, so I have an idea what it cost.

To go forward and get 134 into the air again the major cost will be not be limited to:- Insurance followed by annual maintenance to keep its Permit to Fly, direct operating costs, an 'accountable manager' responsible for the overall management of the operation, unpaid if your lucky, and after that engineering expenses and so on. In other word, hopefully a cheaper version of the Vulcan effort.

Oh, and not forgetting Crowd Funding to go with the big wedge just to get one aircraft and all that goes with it and then operate it year after year.