PDA

View Full Version : Pembroke

Herod
5th Dec 2015, 17:04
Experts please. There is some discussion elsewhere as to the fuel tanks on the Pembroke. Was there a centre tank? I would have thought it unlikely in an aircraft of that size and era, expecting only the two wing tanks.

DaveReidUK
5th Dec 2015, 18:27
I believe the Belgian AF had some of their Pembrokes fitted with long-range fuselage tanks (at Blackbushe, in fact), but AFAIK the basic Pembroke only had wing tanks.

ALGYP
5th Dec 2015, 18:36
The Fleet Air Arm version of the Pembroke was the Sea prince.
No centre tank.

oldandbald
5th Dec 2015, 19:02
Standard fit was 4 crash proof bag-type tanks mounted either side of the engines 53 gallons on the inner and 66 gallons on the outer so all fuel in the wings

Donkey497
5th Dec 2015, 22:07
Hmmm, Interesting.....

Does anyone know what the preferred usage pattern was (if any) inboard 53 gallon tanks first or outboard 66 gallons used first & 53's used as reserve?

megan
6th Dec 2015, 02:58
Fuel is carried in four crashproof, bag-type tanks, two being installed in each wing.

The 53-gallon inner tanks are located inboard of each power unit and the 66-gallon outer tanks directly outboard.

Fuel is supplied from both tanks via servicing cocks and non-return valves to a collector tank located in each undercarriage nacelle and incorporating an electrically driven booster pump. This pump supplies fuel to the engine-driven pump through a filter, non-return valve and manually operated master cock.

A quick fit 150 gallon tank could be fitted in the fuselage, usually used for long range delivery flights, and this may be what Dave refers to, as the Belgians used theirs for survey work where range/endurance may have been important, though the fitting of the tank is not noted in the delivery fitout, perhaps added later.

The above does not clear up if the inner and outer tanks were selectable individually, or if the drained into the collector tank simultaneously, the former I would suspect. If wing bending relief was a consideration then the inners would be used first. The RAF Museum have one on show so a visit or note to them should clear up any questions.

DaveReidUK
6th Dec 2015, 06:39
A quick fit 150 gallon tank could be fitted in the fuselage, usually used for long range delivery flights, and this may be what Dave refers to, as the Belgians used theirs for survey work where range/endurance may have been important, though the fitting of the tank is not noted in the delivery fitout, perhaps added later.

You're right - ignore my reference to the tanks being fitted in Belgian AF service, it was after their aircraft had been sold to Air America in 1978 that the extra tank was fitted for the ferry flight to the USA (and presumably removed afterwards).

So no permanent centre tank on the Pembroke (hard to see where they would have put one, in fact).

brakedwell
6th Dec 2015, 10:40
I can't remember selecting fuel tanks when I flew Pembrokes in the late fifties/early sixties. I'm pretty sure the fuel management was automatic, but it was a long time ago and my memory ain't what it used to be!

Stationair8
7th Dec 2015, 07:22
The Pembroke that we operated only had a centre tank, located aft of the front legs and forward of the back legs.

Herod
7th Dec 2015, 16:28
The Pembroke that we operated only had a centre tank, located aft of the front legs and forward of the back legs.

Woof, Woof!!;)

Rosevidney1
7th Dec 2015, 19:38
It was the Dogs Danglies back then!

Lordflasheart
7th Dec 2015, 23:32
Two tanks and one gauge each side on the Sea Prince, IIRC, which I think was the same setup as the Pembroke and seems to accord with Megan's more technical discourse. I don't remember any facility for feeding both engines from one side or for fuel balancing.

That simple configuration apparently accounted for the Pembroke ditching just off Aden in 1955. Out of major servicing for a trip to Hargeisa and back (to rescue a Bishop.) All four tanks full and indicating so on the gauges. Unfortunately one (different) tank on each side remained disconnected or isolated after the servicing, so though all the fuel on board was shown on the gauges, half of it was actually unavailable, and there was absolutely no way of telling. The available tanks ran dry in accordance with their unequal capacity (of 13 gallons or so.) All five survived the ditching - read the full story, including the various SAR antics, as recently told by a participant -

ASN Aircraft accident 20-APR-1955 Hunting Percival Pembroke C1 WV712 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=145281)

Odd that this prang doesn't seem to show in the "UK Serials" database. We were aware of the suggestion from this accident, that front crew egress after ditching might be impeded by main spar collapse, though I had no idea that this, apparently the only occasion of a ditching, and the first of eleven recorded service losses for the Prince and Pembroke, was as early as 1955.

LFH

megan
9th Dec 2015, 02:09
I don't remember any facility for feeding both engines from one side or for fuel balancing.Thanks for your post Lordflasheart. The Pembroke did have a crossfeed facility, and the ASN report you refer to would confirm that the tanks were not individually selectable ie both tanks in the respective wing drained simultaneously into the collector tank located in the main undercarriage bay.