PDA

View Full Version : Saving money on CPL/IR

Delta Wun-Wun
1st Mar 2001, 03:18
Whilst discussing details with a Flight Training School the other day.They stated that they advise students to do the IR course before the CPL course ,thereby saving 10 hrs off the CPL module and £1300 into the bargin.Anyone any knowledge of anything similar. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gifconfused

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

TooHotToFly
1st Mar 2001, 03:30
It all depends on you situation. For example:

1) If you currently hold a CAA PPL with IMC rating and multi rating and have passed the CAA ATPL exams it is definately worth doing. You do a 43 hour Multi IR course, then a 15 hour CPL course.

2) If you currently hold a JAA PPL with no experience on twins, your best bet is probably to do a 28 hour CPL and multi course and then a 50 hour IR course.

What's your circumstances?

foghorn
1st Mar 2001, 17:26
Delta Wun Wun,

This is correct - if you already hold a JAR Instrument Rating (single or multi-engine), you are spared the instrument training in the JAR modular CPL. This reduces the course by 10 hours.

Most schools require you to do the CPL first, though, and IMHO there is a good reason for this: low-houred CPL holders are better flyers than low-hours PPL holders simply for having done the CPL course. This means they are less likely to need extra training for the IR. Doing the IR first could prove a false economy.

Of course if you are a high-houred PPL with plenty of multi-hours under your belt, the IR first may be a sensible option, however you will be in the minority!

Delta Wun-Wun
2nd Mar 2001, 02:51
Thanks Chaps,I am only a newly qualified PPL.Class 1 in a fortnight then ATPL Distance Learning.So I think doing the CPL first will be the better option for me,even though it will be more expensive.
Cheers DWW

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Noggin
2nd Mar 2001, 23:35
Point to note: Holding an IR saves you 10 hours off the CPL course. Holding a CPL saves you 5 hours off the IR course. So the saving if any, is only 5 hours.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 02 March 2001).]

TooHotToFly
3rd Mar 2001, 15:23
Unless you hold a UK CAA PPL with IMC rating then its 43 + 15 instead of 25 + 50 - a whopping 17 hours difference.