PDA

View Full Version : 737 NG caution lights with eng failure

73qanda
5th Dec 2015, 03:30
Hi,
I am wanting to be confident of what caution lights I will see with a straight engine failure, so that I can recognise if we have more than one issue during the identification process.
Thinking about it, I expect to see the DRIVE light as oil pressure decreases but if N2 is still rotating I might not?
I expect to see the SOURCE OFF light.
I expect to see the Eng Hyd Pump low pressure.
I expect the Master Caution panel to show ELEC and HYD.
Is there anything else ?
Thanks for your time.
Q&A

mmrassi
5th Dec 2015, 11:19
I think you missed the most obvious one which is ENG FAIL Alert on upper DU.
That would be the best way of identifing.

RAT 5
5th Dec 2015, 13:00
The EDP HYD Low Press (& MC HYD) will depend on your speed. In the sim the windmilling ENG will give enough RPM to keep the Low Press light out, even down to F15 speeds.

73qanda
5th Dec 2015, 17:01
Sorry mmrassi,
I should have been clearer. My aim is not to identify that I have an engine failure, but to be familiar with the associated lights so that during the identification phase I will be more likely to recognise additional failures. Ie eng fail No2 with a B system hyd failure.
Rat 5, thanks, does the DRIVE light behave in a similar fashion?
Cheers

RAT 5
5th Dec 2015, 18:47
KISS.
First you identify that there is a loss of thrust. This can be done via various methods depending on phase of flight and therefore thrust levels. You scan the engine instruments to determine the type of failure; e.g. flame out; severe damage, separation. This assumes it not a manual shutdown due engine parameters. + you will know if it is a fire.
Then when the engine malfunction is contained and QRH executed and complete I suggest you check RECALL and analyse what is residual. Check the system lights that are associated with the engine shutdown and discard these. Anything left over is another problem and needs dealing with.

Chesty Morgan
5th Dec 2015, 18:57
I wouldn't be worrying about other failures until you've sorted the engine out first. After successful completion of an engine failure check list there should be only one annunciator light left on. DRIVE.

If there are anymore then deal with them in the time honoured Boeing fashion.

73qanda
6th Dec 2015, 05:22
Thanks for your advice.
I will take it onboard and KISS.
While I've got you .... what would I see with a single FCC fail?
I have recollections from the sim of SPEED TRIM or MACH TRIM annunciation a along with the removal of FD and some speed tape indications on the effected side but I am not sure exactly how to identify it.
Thoughts?