PDA

View Full Version : Career advice from US pilots

7Q Off
4th Dec 2015, 19:45
Hello guys. I need a career advice.

I fly for a south american carrier as 737 Captain with 9000 plus TT. My wife may get a US green card next year and I am wondering if it is worth it to start from zero in the US a pilot. I know that I need to go to the bottom in the seniority in any US Airlines and it is fine to me. I dont pretend any career at any major. Going there as FO is good to me. Besides I can get a 2 year no pay leave in my actual airline so if things dont work for me I get my old job and actual position.

I know that there are lots of jobs in the regionals with 1 year or less upgrade time, but salary is low and since I dont have the 1000 hs US part 121, 135 or 91 time require by the new rules I can forget a fast upgrade. 2 year in a RJ FO salary doesnt look nice buy I can eventualy survive If it is worth it.

I read about companies like spirit, allegiant, sun country, frontier, with 3 to 5 years to upgrade, with is fine to me. Are they worth it?

what about cargo jobs?

how about Part 91 or Part 135 jobs? Fractionals?

mabe I can try to start with something like Surf Air flying a PC12 for a couple of years (with a salary that allows me to survive), until I get my 1000 hs part 135 hs and then try to apply for a Regional and get a fast upgrade.

If I finally get the green card, which path you recomend it to try??? Regionals, LLC, Part 135 jobs like weels up? Cargo?

Thks guys. :ok:

bafanguy
5th Dec 2015, 18:01
Check your PMs

Pvtpilot
6th Dec 2015, 00:51
7Q off,
Im also from South America. I've been a regional pilot in the US for almost two years now and I can help/ give you an insight in the life of a regional FO but as you mentioned the compensation for FOs is TOUGH, REALLY THOUGH!
Do you have any bases in mind? Where in south america are you from?
Shoot me a PM if you still need help.
Regards

kimsmith
8th Dec 2015, 12:49
Part 135 is not common. I think that once a person decides to do the airline flying it becomes very hard to change course.

TheBiggerD
8th Dec 2015, 13:24
7Q.
There are plenty of 135 outfits which are HURTING for pilots. Don't pay much attention to what kimsmith posts as he really has no idea what he is writing about.

david2000
8th Dec 2015, 17:41
Hello 7Q, I'm in the same boat as you, I'm a captain at a South American airline with 5000 tt, got hired at a regional, every thing seemed ok, except the pay, I did my research before, but I have come to the repentance of going regional, I left after ground school, also got my old job back, and I will do everything possible to at least get into a LCC and move on from there, personally I do not recommend the regionals to anyone, if you have already flown bigger equipments and pay. Try for something at the same level not below.