PDA

View Full Version : Sponsoring a pilot

kmjame
4th Dec 2015, 06:08
Dear Ppruners

Has anyone been through the process of sponsoring a foreign national for a flying role in the US.

PM me if preferred.

Thanks in advance!

foswillruletheworld
4th Dec 2015, 18:06
I am not really following what you mean. Is that even possible for the U.S. companies?
I think you need a Green Card or a citizenship to fly for an airline.
If there is a way to do that and work for a U.S. major i would like to know.

bafanguy
4th Dec 2015, 19:25
I'd bet every nickle I've got (both of 'em) that no US major will ever sponsor expat pilots. They just don't need to; regionals remain an unknown at the moment.

This from UPS addressing sponsorship. I assume they've gotten apps/inquiries from foreign nationals or they'd have no reason to even mention sponsorship in the requirements:

Other information:
• Employer will not sponsor visas for position.
• No company-paid relocation assistance available.
• Must be a U.S. citizen or National of the U. S., an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or an alien authorized to work in the U. S. for this employer.

AviationJobs.Me Flight Crew: B747-400 Non Type Rated First Officers UPS US (http://www.aviationjobs.me/2015/12/b747-400-first-officers-ups-us.html)

And this from Expressjet, not the best regional in the bunch:

"Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship"

http://www.expressjet.com/careers/pilots/qualifications/

James331
4th Dec 2015, 19:51
Won't happen. We simply don't need the pilots, the US has the strongest GA scene on earth and plenty of pilots coming up through the ranks.

The regionals aren't hurting for pilots because there aren't any, it's because their pay doesn't match the job description, and not one chit is given for their cheap arses.

I'd also imagine the airline unions and lobbyists would block a airline from brining in foreign pilots who are willing to work for peanuts, just to keep from having to pay a proper wage for a US citizen regional pilot.

MarkerInbound
4th Dec 2015, 23:41
Thirty five years ago I saw a want ad for a pilot from a small flight school in west Texas. The job description required very specific flight time, something like 573 TT with 27 MEL. And fluent in Farsi. In order to sponsor an employee the employer must show there are no Americans who are qualified for the job. I figured they had an Iranian CFI they were trying to help keep in the country. They could post the ad, show they got no responses and then say a green card should be issued to their person who met the requirements.

For regular airline jobs, as long as pilots sign up for $2000 a month jobs there will be no need for foreign pilots.

kmjame
6th Dec 2015, 20:47
Thanks fellas, it is for a "working visa" a company is able to file to the Department of Labour to sponsor a working visa for a certain length of time providing they and I meet a certain criteria some of you have mentioned.

Thanks for the advice.