PDA

View Full Version : Why no mention of fuel price Anna?

Big Picture
3rd Dec 2015, 05:16
Dear AT,

I note that mid year in one of the your "operational updates", you mentioned that the price of oil had risen to almost $70/ barrel, from $45/ barrel in January. You also made mention of fuel price volatility and that fuel was Cathay's biggest cost.

I'm just wondering, now that fuel is around $40/ barrel why there is no mention of this in your dispatches?

Just for my clarification is the following correct?

Option A - Management gets the fuel hedging correct. Answer - but that was just a mark to market "paper" profit so we shouldn't really count that for profit share purposes.

Option B - Management gets the fuel hedging wrong (like now) - Answer - Mark to market fuel hedging loss, which under accounting principles will be directly offset against operating profit. This results in a reduced profit share for employees using the formula based on profit and revenue.

Am I just cynical?

Just Do It
3rd Dec 2015, 05:28
It was always well communicated in the past when a increase in the fuel surge charge was being sort from the CAD and would then be past on to the customer. Never heard of these charges being reduced though!