PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on QZ8501, AF447 and greed

slf4life
1st Dec 2015, 12:53
Different cases I know, but basically, if I understand the results of the Air Asia report as summarized by the professionals: We have another incidence of a serviceable aircraft having crashed due to inappropriate pilot inputs in the high alt/speed regime. This in response to a technical failure which could have been otherwise managed without major incident.

Pilots today seem to be under the dual pressure of being competent at both actually flying in ALL flight phases, as well as understanding, monitoring, interpreting, administering as well as troubleshooting the networked system that is a modern airliner. This in addition to all the other disciplines and duties required on a daily basis for normal and abnormal operations. The consensus seems to be that pilots need all manner of enhanced and intensive training to mitigate a number of issues arising from having to be pure pilots as well as 'network administrators' (especially in emergencies), yet cost is a deterrent.

I worry about this shareholder capitalist driven world of ours. Profit is a good thing, it fuels economies. But I see the ramifications of 'reduced cost at all cost' in so many industries now - it's a common denominator that seems immune to the human cost of feeding the appetites of Oligarchs. Some say the remedy is higher ticket prices. Perhaps that is so, but going back to that common denominator in so many industries, does anyone have any confidence that higher profits would result in more/better training as required in all cases? I don't. Sounds like a 'occupy' mentality I know, but I do think somewhere along the way our big business practices lost something, and it's costing lives - in many ways.

pax britanica
1st Dec 2015, 16:08
A thought provokoing post.

I think you are in general right about the state of global big business where it seems lying and lawbreaking are fine just don't get caught, and if you do get caught like the bankers play the leave us alone or we will make it worse card.

Personally I think there is a high degree of disengagement between corporate management and their staff and customers , many senior managers have no respect for either and little for their employer who is these days seen as a step on an ever upward path. If they are successful they get head-hunted or seek a more lucrative role, if they are not successful they get let go and repeat the process elsewhere.

Very few have any strong attachment with their employers, very few come from the 'shop floor' and these days with diverging education standards very few come from humble backgrounds.

Of course profit is an honourable goal but not at any price, shareholder value the same but the willingness to do the right thing or say No , I will not lend my name to that seems to have radically declined.

I am not in the Aviation business but telecommunications which in many ways exhibits as many of these symptoms as it seems airlines do and recruits very few senior execs from within , I was lucky having started in an era where one could work ones way upwards. and is a seriously screwed up industry but luckily cannot kill people as regularly as an airline.

Someone needs to put ethics and standards back on the MBA exam paper pdq

As an example of this thinking a couple of years ago when easyJet introduced allocated seating i thought it was time to give them a try, partly tongue in cheek I wrote to them explaining this and saying the only remaining concern I had about using them was my concern that lo cost might compromise safety.
I got along reply back explaining how safety was their number one priority and was never compromised etc etc etc.

When I wrote back though to say that if it was so important why were all the board members accountants and marketing people and no one on the board had safety listed as one of their responsibilities, Never got a reply

lomapaseo
1st Dec 2015, 16:49
The job of regulation is to set minimum standards. If these are not enough than move the bar. I don't like the idea of throwing money at something that is technical based. Some operators can do it cheaper than others so don't meddle..

kcockayne
1st Dec 2015, 19:16
First two posts pretty much sum up the problem. Well said. I am not enamoured with the modern business world (or the rest of it, if I am honest); where will it all end ?