PDA

View Full Version : RYR QRH and engine NNC

Driver 170
1st Dec 2015, 09:56
I'm not a pilot!!

Looking at my RYR QRH, you have ENGINE FIRE or Engine Severe Damage or Separation. And the list of conditions. If i programme my software to have a V1 CUT which results in SEVERE DAMAGE on ENG X why doesn't the condition list have ENGINE FAILURE shown? Because with SEVERE DAMAGE on my engine display it shows ENG FAIL alert on the EGT. Wouldn't that lead you to look at the Engine Failure or Shutdown NNC instead as those conditions have - An ENG FAIL alert shows

Driver 170
1st Dec 2015, 10:59
Also for the...

ENGINE FIRE
or
Engine Severe Damage or
Separation

Why do we close the isolation valve for the first part?

Johnny F@rt Pants
1st Dec 2015, 18:56
1 - because there is already an engine failure QRH checklist, and is for use when the engine has "flamed out" without any evidence of damage. When it comes to identifying whether you have a flame out or severe damage you have to look beyond the "eng fail" alert. This alert appears to simply alert the crew that the engine has "wound down" (N2 below 50% and eng start lever at idle) not why.

2 - close the isolation valve to prevent it opening when you switch off the Pack related to the engine that has had the trouble. If you don't switch it to closed it will open when you turn the pack off.

Driver 170
1st Dec 2015, 21:38
Ok well for 1. That clears my question up. As for 2. You close the isolation valve but later on you have to verify AUTO?

Driver 170
1st Dec 2015, 21:48
Ahh so for 2. You close it, extinguish the fire and then place the isolation valve to AUTO

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Dec 2015, 10:30
Ahh so for 2. You close it, extinguish the fire and then place the isolation valve to AUTO

No, you fight the fire first, then when you are running through the QRH checklist you close the isolation valve prior to switching off the Pack. Later on you put the isolation valve back to auto in case wing anti-ice is needed otherwise you would have asymmetric wing anti-ice, and that wouldn't be good at all.

Driver 170
13th Dec 2015, 19:37
I thought you keep it closed if you have an engine fire?

Driver 170
15th Dec 2015, 20:01
What items are missed out in the QRH if you reject prior to V1 because of an engine fire and warning? Because surely you wouldn't balance fuel or start the APU?

Driver 170
15th Dec 2015, 20:49
Also on every abort before V1 does the captain set the parking brake and the FO sets f40. It seems in my RYR QRH this is the case...

Johnny F@rt Pants
16th Dec 2015, 08:52
I thought you keep it closed if you have an engine fire? If you have an engine fire you keep it closed, if the fire is extinguished you go back to auto to ensure that you have bleed air to both wings if you have to use wing anti ice.

What items are missed out in the QRH if you reject prior to V1 because of an engine fire and warning? Because surely you wouldn't balance fuel or start the APU? Basically, we stop the aeroplane, then we deal with why we have stopped, then we deal with the consequences. So in your case with a fire, we stop, then at my operator (not RYR) the FO would perform the engine fire recall items, then we check whether the fire is extinguished or not. If it is then we could vacate the runway and taxi away to a remote area to let the brakes cool down as necessary, if not then we evacuate and leave the aeroplane where it is. With regards to continuing with the rest of the checklist after the recall items, there is no need because they are done in the air to configure the aeroplane whilst airborne.

Also on every abort before V1 does the captain set the parking brake and the FO sets f40. It seems in my RYR QRH this is the case... If that is what YOUR QRH says then that is what you do, again, in the company that I work for that is how it is done, which is how Boeing recommend that it is done, however operators are at liberty to gain approval to do differently and have their own SOP's.

Wirbelsturm
16th Dec 2015, 10:00
Also on every abort before V1 does the captain set the parking brake and the FO sets f40.

In my company the FO, on their sector, runs the entire aborted take-off down until the park brake is set and the engines in forward idle. Then the roles are handed over and the normal checklist operation is resumed.

As stated above it is all down to company SOP's.

Driver 170
16th Dec 2015, 11:13
That clears the NNC up and now i know ONLY to perform recall items on the ground ;)

Here it is

On Ground Emergency RYR

STOP

CAPTAIN "stop airplane"
"Set parking brake"

FO "Wait until parking brake is set
" select flaps 40 "
" inform ATC Including aircraft position"

Driver 170
16th Dec 2015, 11:29
@wirbelstrum what is the normal checklist that you do?

Wirbelsturm
16th Dec 2015, 17:00
normal checklist

Not the 737, relevant EICAS checklist.