PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heading to OASC next week ?

Mich Mac
20th Jun 2002, 07:38
Hi there, sorry to hijack the Forum, but I was wondering if any PPruners are attending OASC next week?

Im going there myself and was just seeing if anyone wanted to hook up for a beer in the mess ;)

Regards

Mich

STANDTO
20th Jun 2002, 17:38
I'm not, but best of luck and don't drink too much!

Take a moment to go for a walk, stand on the orange outside CHOm,and savour

Mich Mac
20th Jun 2002, 20:05
Thanks Standto.

Do tell about the orange outside CHOM - not heard of that :)

Regards

MM

Dr Schlong
20th Jun 2002, 22:00
The Orange - Large oval expanse of grass outside of CHOM, was used as a cricket pitch once upon a time according to a promo video I remember seeing many moons ago. Have to agree with Standto, enjoy the whole thing, be yourself and give it your best! ;)

STANDTO
21st Jun 2002, 06:52
Yup. Thats the one. You can almost hear the sound of leather against willow, the chinking of the Pimms glasses etc. A tiger moth used to fly from the north airfield behind college hall, which on a balmy summers day sort of added to the atmosphere.

You will also be able to see the hallowed parade ground, which in March 1988 I drove across in my Fiat Strada whilst on my way to twilight cleaning duties in Whittle Hall. How we laughed. Indeed, I cant remember why I even had to go that way, when there was a perfectly good bit of main road between no 2 mess and WH. It might have been one of those orders along the lines of 'Officer Cadets will not drive along the main road in cars of less that seventeen hundred CC when there is an 'R' in the month.

Cranwell is a funny place. Exciting to go to, crap when you are there and great to look back at.

Look at some of the past threads with OASC advice and you won't go far wrong. Make it count, and when you are a fast jet mate, drop me a line and take me for a spin!

Mich Mac
21st Jun 2002, 06:55
Thanks Standto, top advice.

Oh the heady days at Cranners - sounds tops ;)

Ill keep you all posted on my progress (if your interested of course :) )

Best Regards
MM

rivetjoint
21st Jun 2002, 07:29
Yes, it would be nice see what its like once you get there. We have all the threads about before you go and what to say etc, but keep us informed. Although if the RAF decide you're not for them and give you the boot...please don't come here and start another World War ;)

Mich Mac
21st Jun 2002, 07:39
Well unfortunately they dont think that cos I wear blue at the moment - but I see what you mean ;)

Ill keep you all posted, rgds

MM

STANDTO
21st Jun 2002, 12:08
I think rivet joint is referring to WEBF and his scorching post following his demise from the matelots.

Do let us know how goes it and once again best of luck

Mich Mac
21st Jun 2002, 13:05
hehe

I see the post in question now ;)

Thanks again, Ill report back at the end of the week.

MM

Mich Mac
23rd Jun 2002, 13:58
Further to the above, just before I pop accross to Lincolnshire, what is the waiting time expected to be from appearing at OASC to getting a letter?

I have a course to start in Mid July and the outcome of a board at OASC would have an obvious outcome on me starting that course or not. Ill be letting the board know this and hopefully it might help but I dont want to be in the situation of having to faff about with the course.

My branch choices are Pilot/WSO so whats the best and worst case from those who have just appeared assuming I have been boarded and all is well by Friday.

Is it a case of the best get notified soonest or do they go through to the melting pot and find out last?

Thanks in advance

MM

topgun172
24th Jun 2002, 16:45
Hi MM,

Im heading to the OASC on the 4th August for the Pilot sponsership, cant wait, just trying to gather as much advice as possible! Whats your current situation, and what are you trying for?
Best of luck

TP172

Mach2
25th Jun 2002, 16:51
Mich Mac - You can expect to wait around 3 weeks to get a letter following your attendance at OASC - however, it will not necessarily say 'Yes Please' or 'No Thank You'. For the more competitive branches - including Pilot and WSO, it will quite often be a case of 'You are selectable (ie you have met all of the minimum criteria to be selected), but are in competition with a number of other candidates for the available places'. In that case you may have to wait up to 3 months to get a final decision. If you are not attending OASC until the end of June, and your course is starting in mid-July, go on it. Unless you fail to get through to Pt 2 of the selection, you will certainly not know anything before that, and even if you are selected, you won't be required until much later in the year. And if you aren't selected, you won't have lost the benefit of the course...