PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating add on

planedriver7
29th Nov 2015, 02:51
Hi there,

I recently got my FAA PPL with airplane instrument rating based on the conversion from ICAO commercial/ IR. I have passed both the written for Instrument and Commercial. Now, I just passed my FAA commercial flight exam and I heard that I have to do an IR check flight to get my Instrument added to my commercial certificate despite having it on my PPL. Anybody with the same experience?

Thanks!

MarkerInbound
29th Nov 2015, 11:56
Did you take the Instrument Foreign Pilot written or the regular IR written to get the IR on your 61.75 certificate? Without a checkride your IR is still based on you foreign licence.

planedriver7
29th Nov 2015, 13:18
Markerinbound, thanks for your reply. I took the regular IR written exam. Right now, my commercial certificate is restricted to 50 nm and night is prohibited. I was under the impression that the IR would transfer automatically to my Commercial certificate.

peekay4
29th Nov 2015, 17:17
Technically you don't have an FAA instrument rating as you haven't passed the FAA IR practical -- you have a 61.75 private pilot certificate with instrument privileges (which is only valid at the PPL level), plus an FAA CPL.

To obtain a standard FAA IR you will need to meet all the requirements of 61.65, including both written and practical exams.

Assuming you have the necessary flight hours (including the 250nm instrument cross-country), 61.65 requires at least 3 hours of instrument training with a CFII within the preceding 2 months, an endorsement from the CFII that you are ready to take the practical test, and passing the actual instrument checkride.

MarkerInbound
30th Nov 2015, 15:33
Yes, as pointed out above you'll need the checkride. Some people take the regular IR written and a checkride on their 61.75 cert and then the FAA adds
"U. S. TEST PASSED" to the certificate. If you have that and later on get a regular FAS cert the IR will transfer to it without further ado.

planedriver7
1st Dec 2015, 22:07
Oh, wow! I didn't know that..looks like I need to sort some things out fast. Thank you so much guys.