PDA

View Full Version : EK flight Ops Who is in Charge?

ekwhistleblower
28th Nov 2015, 08:07
So the time has come and gone for the DSVP to leave. It has been announced that he has a new job but he still doesn't seem to have disappeared.

As I understood it there were 2 possible replacements and promoting his deputy would have made the most sense and would IMHO be a sound appointment. A man of sharp intellect that is prepared to show leadership rather than just manage his own career....I hope.

Of course there would be a few snags for those further up the greasy pole as they might actually get told what was happening at the coal face with the filter removed. But as they say knowledge is power and were I in senior management I would want to be given sound information, even if it was uncomfortable, rather than keep getting shoved into square corners because the minions won't raise their heads above the parapet to point out the issues.

If they don't make the change what does that say about senior management's perception of either the candidates' capabilities or their desire to be told the truth rather than drink the political cool aid? Anyway you cut it, from the outside it appears to show indecisiveness and weaknesses coupled to poor succession management. All utterly avoidable.

lowstandard
28th Nov 2015, 08:31
Same as always...AAR

They just need a new sock puppet to rubber stamp directives and burn at the stake for the eventual train wreck. TCAS just ducked out of the way for the next pension padding, 8th floor sitting, flight bag skimming, wine crate furniture selling, annex 2 FTL ing, vacation credit stealing, overtime swiping, FTL fiddling, fatigue inducing sell out to take a bullet. Did I miss something?

Maybe raise Ed from the dead!

cost neutral
28th Nov 2015, 08:34
Really, who cares

glofish
28th Nov 2015, 08:45
Absolutely, and i sustain costneutrals point without any sarcasm, cynicism, agenda or anything else.

Honestly, no one cares anymore.

Press your monthly 2 because there is the same effect further up -> no one cares

harry the cod
28th Nov 2015, 08:51
ekwhistleblower

Without wishing to appear facetious, perhaps they're applying the same principle to this position as they do for new pursers. 6 months on the job 'training' without the new pay but all of the responsibility. That's six months DSVP salary that can be saved, not, I'd imagine, an insignificant amount. As for the 'contestants' in the race, JA would be the sensible choice. HAH is a figure head smoothing over the locals talking politics while drinking copious amounts of coffee in the Majlis. His current role in training has been invisible and jumping 2 grades, whilst acceptable within the HR policy, would be an unlikely move. JA can get to grips with the mess he's inherited and with 5 years or so from retirement, DSVP would work well for him. HAH can bide his time, follow closely with JA then perhaps take over himself for the last 4-5 years, assisting with the Emiratisation policy!

As already alluded to on another thread, I agree with you. It's nothing short of disgraceful. I wonder if the same will the same occur when STC retires?

Harry

donpizmeov
28th Nov 2015, 09:23
I really don't think JA will make any difference if he gets the job. The only difference is TCJA does not rhyme as well.

fliion
28th Nov 2015, 11:44
Don,

I reckon ATC covers it.

;)

f.

donpizmeov
28th Nov 2015, 13:59
Like ya thinking fliion.

Modesh
28th Nov 2015, 16:09
You guys are very strange.

Why would you make up an abusive name for somebody that has so far not does not have the job nor has proved to be an arse yet? And that you want to help you in the future?

Do you not think, little Al might have had a quick look on here all those years ago when he joined and saw you "witty" people calling him TCAS and thinking to him self.. How nice ...I might not help these guys too much after all!

Once they prove themselves to be an arse then make up all the names you want.

M

fliion
28th Nov 2015, 16:25
Modesh - chill brother, light hearted venting

If makes you feel better...and he gets the job and sorts it out in six months, we rename him:
JAR-OPS

..reorganizing previous shambles.

Too much ill1will has been created that regardless of person in question - it's got too poisonous.

The guy who gets the upper floors to put through a 20%ish pay raise might have a chance.

Don't hold your breath.

Wizofoz
28th Nov 2015, 16:39
JAR-OPS

..reorganizing previous shambles.

[/wins.thread]

Modesh
28th Nov 2015, 16:51
Ta Fliion chilled now.

I don't disagree with your comments, just saying it can't have helped our position.

Would you go out of your way to help somebody that was calling you a C?? Light hearted or not.

Actually JAR-OPS is quite good.

Plus its not at all abusive. Lets hope he lives up to it, if he gets the job.

M

fliion
28th Nov 2015, 19:56
Preferred to be called one than treated like one

donpizmeov
29th Nov 2015, 00:50
Oh no. EK policy is decided from comments on pprune. We are in deeper sh@te than we thought.

ATC has been in charge of the leave policy since the horse left hasn't he? He wrote the letter congratulating himself and team on giving 90% of the pilots 30days leave right? He forgot to mention how much of the 90% received forced leave. If you write to him about the 42days he replies they only need to give you 30.

I am thinking JAR-OPS will require some Blues Brothers type divine intervention.

The Zohan
29th Nov 2015, 03:01
didn't we use to call him TOGA?

tz

halas
29th Nov 2015, 03:24
I thought things under the Talking Horse couldn't get any worse. :(

halas

Outatowner
29th Nov 2015, 09:04
If TOGA (That Other Guy .......) gets the job then I wish him the best - he's a good man - but I wouldn't actually wish the position on a gent like TOGA because of what it means to hold a position like that in this company.

Modesh, were you here when TCAS showed up? If he wanted a chummy loving relationship with the pilots then he did himself no favours from Day One when he put his name to Father of Factoring thereby establishing his position with a shabby dodgy policy that, if I recall correctly, lasted exactly the six month effective duration of the FCI and then vanished without a trace. The chicken came before the egg.

Modesh
29th Nov 2015, 13:01
Sadly I was here when he turned up.

And wee A was being called TCAS before he set foot in the office....

It can't of helped.

M

The Zohan
29th Nov 2015, 16:54
I think it was "That Orange Guy...."

Modesh jeeezzzz...your english :eek
What did you edit your message for?

tz

donpizmeov
29th Nov 2015, 19:43
TCAS is from his BA days. Not made up here. It's not our fault he lived up to his reputation.

JA may be a gentleman, but he has been here a few years and has been ineffective. The puppeteers are still the same, so can't see how he would improve.

Emma Royds
29th Nov 2015, 19:48
DSVP Flight Ops is a AOC postholder position within EK and changes to any postholder position necessitates a revision to the Part A manual. Until we see a FCN informing us of his replacement, then TCAS unequivocally remains the DSVP Flight Ops.

Modesh
30th Nov 2015, 11:02
Donny....TCAS is from his BA days. Not made up here

Not true. It comes from TCK. They just replaced the K with AS.

However the rest of your post is spot on.

The Z...apologies.

M

Three Wire
30th Nov 2015, 12:23
The Don is correct.

Monarch Man
30th Nov 2015, 14:48
Modesh, you are speaking from your Panal Asage, the name comes from his BA days where he was universally loathed, he even managed to upset a good portion of the CX 747 population as well when he acted in a less than honourable fashion in respect of some members of a select group of 49, I'll let others elaborate if they choose as I know several here that have first hand experience of his previous post.
I personally wouldnt cross the street to pee on him if his hair caught alight, but I would bring marshmallows.

olster
30th Nov 2015, 15:33
MM you are correct: the TCAS soubriquet came from BA.

sluggums
30th Nov 2015, 15:35
OK, I'll go with it coming from his BA days. Where did TCK come from then?

Modesh
30th Nov 2015, 16:52
Gentlemen,

You are correct.

Strange though, that TC(K) was replaced by somebody already called TC and from a different airline. Coincidence?

Actually maybe not, as it seems CK was at BA before EK...so maybe the TC is a BA thing?

Lets hope the new guy isn't already a TC or from BA!!!

Apologies all round.

M

camber
1st Dec 2015, 02:43
I see that latest FCI, issued today, was signed off by AS?? I thought yesterday was his last day in the job.

donpizmeov
1st Dec 2015, 06:01
Maybe his new nickname should be "floater", he just can't be flushed away?

InnocentBystander
1st Dec 2015, 06:27
I see that latest FCI, issued today, was signed off by AS?? I thought yesterday was his last day in the job.

He was appointed principal to a non existing academy. He can obviously hold two posts when one of them holds no responsibilities besides collecting a pay check.

All hail the profits!

Emma Royds
1st Dec 2015, 18:55
Note my earlier post. TCAS is still DSVP Flight Ops until we are informed otherwise by FCN.

my salami
20th Dec 2015, 10:08
Well... There you have it...
New appointments have been announced...
Any thoughts??:confused:

InnocentBystander
20th Dec 2015, 10:59
The guy most responsible of severely pushing the envelope in flight safety (Reduced rest hours, increased flying hours, shorter ULR layovers to name a few) is now in charge of everything.

What can go wrong? :D:ugh:

Kapitanleutnant
20th Dec 2015, 11:16
.... and that would be who? HAH?

SOPS
20th Dec 2015, 11:39
My guess would be AAR.

InnocentBystander
20th Dec 2015, 12:23
SVP Safety promoted to DSVP flight ops. VP-Flight training has been given a newly created position SVP technical or some such. Effective Jan 1st

flyinthesky
20th Dec 2015, 13:10
Political appointment! AAR has appointed someone that will carry out his every wish. JA not appointed due being 'too soft' toward flight crew. Don't ask for further explanation as i cannot give but that's the bare truth.

The company missed the best opportunity to bring us onside by recruiting JA but chose not to. Make of that what you will.

Bring Back The Biff
20th Dec 2015, 13:17
Didn't see that one coming. Everyone else must have turned it down...

HD will be equally ineffective as AS.

Disappointing, but not surprising.

falconeasydriver
20th Dec 2015, 13:44
HD in my dealings with him was a thoroughly nice fella, in point of fact on a couple of flights he's been on to the Emerald Isle that I skippered he made the effort to say hello and have a chat on arrival.
He is in my opinion a vastly different animal to TCAS, how effective he is in terms of dealing with the issues you guys now face? Perhaps someone from Aer Fungus might be able to enlighten? Wee Willy came from a similar background, so perhaps a harbinger of things to come?

TangoUniform
20th Dec 2015, 13:53
Biff,
You are correct, in that, the position was turned down by others. Probably not a more ineffectual post holder position in the company. Notice there was not a "National" promoted to the position. HD seems to be nice chap and has seemed to do what he can in safety, but don't see this as being a major change for the front line.

donpizmeov
20th Dec 2015, 13:55
So are we going with HIC or DIC?

Jumeirah James
20th Dec 2015, 15:40
Does this mean Numb nuts is going to be promoted from VP to SVP FS?

ekwhistleblower
21st Dec 2015, 07:03
Well that one is a bit left field. I guess the upper echelons really do struggle to be challenged.

glofish
21st Dec 2015, 07:45
You can apply as many genuine medications or generica as you want, as long as the abject root cancer is there, we will see ugly metastasis popping up

sluggums
21st Dec 2015, 11:34
TCHD. Saw him once in a meeting, only once mind, but I took an almost instant dislike to him. Very pleased with himself and riddled with typical management speak and attitude.

A disappointing choice IMHO, another yes man who is quite happy to do AAR bidding. The race to the bottom continues unabated...

alwayzinit
21st Dec 2015, 15:17
All hyperbole aside, I think I will give "Our 'enry" the benefit of the doubt, until proved otherwise.

InnocentBystander
21st Dec 2015, 17:53
All hyperbole aside, I think I will give "Our 'enry" the benefit of the doubt, until proved otherwise.

His record as SVP FS doesn't speak for itself? He was the one that pushed the GIG-EZE shuttle through, as well as the 3-man BOS and JFK. Not to mention the smoke and mirrors that is FRMS, and the latest rostering practices. HF was begging us to write more ASR's to change some of that as Safety wasn't really interested in Safety after all.

He's quite the company man alright.

alwayzinit
22nd Dec 2015, 08:26
IB,
I am not sure that it is the Flight Safety Depts role to "Ok" anything per se, their role is to advise, as far as I am aware.
The actual policy is decided higher up the tree.
In addition, in the Darwinian world of EGHQ, as elsewhere, it is sensible to only fight the battles that you can win. Correct me if I am wrong but the flights you quoted are no longer operated as you quoted due to FS getting the ammo from our ASRs.
At the time of their launch the duties were "legal" under FTLs.
Now we can all bitch about how it was obvious that the trips you mentioned wouldn't work but we all also know that until proven otherwise to AAR the schedules were going to go ahead, come what may. So rather than show "Our 'enry" as a naive idealist, it shows he is a grown up, aware of the realities of life in EK.
I am still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in his new role, until proven otherwise.

Dropp the Pilot
22nd Dec 2015, 08:52
what he said

Ophion
22nd Dec 2015, 08:52
IB,
I am not sure that it is the Flight Safety Depts role to "Ok" anything per se, their role is to advise, as far as I am aware.
The actual policy is decided higher up the tree.
In addition, in the Darwinian world of EGHQ, as elsewhere, it is sensible to only fight the battles that you can win. Correct me if I am wrong but the flights you quoted are no longer operated as you quoted due to FS getting the ammo from our ASRs.
At the time of their launch the duties were "legal" under FTLs.
Now we can all bitch about how it was obvious that the trips you mentioned wouldn't work but we all also know that until proven otherwise to AAR the schedules were going to go ahead, come what may. So rather than show "Our 'enry" as a naive idealist, it shows he is a grown up, aware of the realities of life in EK.
I am still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in his new role, until proven otherwise.
I fully agree. There's things the Safety Dept aren't happy about, but in the usual world of EK politics, those further up the food chain don't always see it he same way.

InnocentBystander
22nd Dec 2015, 22:35
Correct me if I am wrong but the flights you quoted are no longer operated as you quoted due to FS getting the ammo from our ASRs.

These were changed after intervention by Human Factors, namely HD and RH (One of which is no longer employed by EK) with the support of ASR's, CSR's and fatigue reports against the explicit intention of SVP-FS.

You believe what you want and give whoever a second look. I'll happily revisit this thread in a year from now and see what your verdict is. I'm pretty sure it won't differ much from mine today.

alwayzinit
23rd Dec 2015, 18:58
IB, I think you maybe misunderstand, giving someone the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise is simply, me, a grown up, being capable of making my own mind up, without the need to be told this or that by whomever.

I know Henry and I know John and think they need a chance to see what, if anything, they can do.

You may be right and if so I will bow to your insight and knowledge. Until then .............................................. nuff said.

VAMY
25th Dec 2015, 04:53
Monarch Man,

You are spot on re the lineage of TCAS. His nick name is from his BA days and also true about his association re CX & the 49's. I'm ex BA(27 years there) and my best mate is one of the 49's.

Which unfortunate group of pilots is going to inherit him now he has left EK?

olster
25th Dec 2015, 05:58
I was not aware of TCAS involvement in the CX 49er issue / debacle. How so?

grottyyottie
26th Dec 2015, 20:51
MM is a good candidate. Discuss
GY

helen-damnation
27th Dec 2015, 05:49
MM is a good candidate. Discuss

MM turned it down (allegedly). Nothing to discuss.