PDA

View Full Version : Revalidating CPL MEP IR

Iflyplainplanes
25th Nov 2015, 18:27
Hi Guys, forum newbie here so apologies if this isnt quite the right thread. I have a few questions;

I finished my CPL in August 2010 under JAA, this expired in September.
I finished my MEP IR in the summer of 2011, which expired in 2012 and my SEP has also lapsed (I think in 2012 also) I have around 250 flying hours and about 50 in the SIM (FNPT and a Citation for MCC)

It is my understanding that to get a EASA CPL, you have to have at least one valid rating on your CPL then to exchange JAA for EASA.

I know that if my IR has lapsed longer than 7 years I have to do ground school exams again.

I want to know what I have to do to revalidate my CPL MEP IR and obviously to make sure its all EASA. Is it just a case of passing 3 skills tests to revalidate them at this stage or will I need to go back to ground school? Do I have to have a minimum amount of hours? and after 7 years will I need to do all 14 ATPL exams again or just IR related ones? Thanks.

ifitaintboeing
25th Nov 2015, 22:45
I want to know what I have to do to revalidate my CPL MEP IR and obviously to make sure its all EASA. Is it just a case of passing 3 skills tests to revalidate them at this stage or will I need to go back to ground school

The requirements are for you to complete training as needed to reach the required level of proficiency, then a combined MEP/IR Proficiency Check.

For the MEP/IR Proficiency Check, it's actually just one combined test to renew both your MEP and IR ratings. See FCL.625 for IR Renewal requirements (CAP 804, Section 4, Part G, Subpart 1, page 3) and FCL.740 for MEP Class Rating Renewal requirements (CAP 804, Section 4, Part H, Subpart 1, page 6). Simples!

You can then apply to the CAA for an EASA licence which will be returned as a lifetime EASA CPL(A) with valid MEP and IR ratings.

ifitaint...

Iflyplainplanes
28th Nov 2015, 14:12
Thank you! So no CPL skills test then?

macflea
28th Nov 2015, 18:29
for the jaa Cpl to easa Cpl , its just a paper exercise and a fee , plus class 1 medical that's up to date . they will issue an easa Cpl .
BUT if you want to fly on the easa Cpl , you have to have a valid single and be current . no Cpl skills test but if you haven't flown for a few years there would be a navigation exercise in addition to basic handling etc , then single engine rating test , might be on a par with the Cpl skills test.
not sure about ME/IR , I assume full skills test for this.
I finished in 2008 ,never made it , everything expired , but I converted the jaa Cpl to an easa Cpl just to keep it for life . if I want to go back flying for fun , its a single engine rating plus nav.

ifitaintboeing
29th Nov 2015, 17:23
Thank you! So no CPL skills test then?

Nope.

for the jaa Cpl to easa Cpl , its just a paper exercise and a fee , plus class 1 medical that's up to date . they will issue an easa Cpl .

It's a simple paperwork exercise providing the JAR-FCL licence is current - it can be issued without a class rating in this case. By the sound of it, Iflyplainplane's JAR-FCL licence has already expired. Where the JAR-FCL licence is expired, a valid class rating and medical appropriate to the licence is required for initial issue of the EASA licence.

no Cpl skills test but if you haven't flown for a few years there would be a navigation exercise in addition to basic handling etc , then single engine rating test , might be on a par with the Cpl skills test.

Where completing a combined MEP/IR Renewal, the navigation element of the check will be covered by completing a SID and short airways segment. See CAA Standards Document 14(A) (https://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1634) and page 2 of CAA Form SRG 1157 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=534).

not sure about ME/IR , I assume full skills test for this.

Skill Test is for initial issue of those privileges. He is required to complete a MEP/IR Proficiency Check either separately or as a combined check. The examiner has more scope for retraining and repeats during a Proficency Check.

if I want to go back flying for fun , its a single engine rating plus nav.

The cheapest way for Iflyplainplanes to obtain a EASA CPL is to renew his SEP Class Rating. Similar to above, as he's previously held a SEP Class Rating, then he just has renew his SEP Class Rating by completing a SEP Proficiency Check (which should take about an hour or so flying). His MEP and IR will be entered on the back of the licence as expired ratings. To renew them it's then just training as required and the associated proficency check providing he doesn't exceed 7 years expiry for his IR.

Happy to help with the training and/or tests for the SEP/MEP/IR.

ifitaint...

macflea
29th Nov 2015, 19:10
ifitaintboeing

what do guys do when they reach the 7 year mark as regard the atpl exams limit , I don't have a current ME/IR , but even with guys who do have a valid ME/IR and are coming up on the 7 year mark but don't have the hours to unfreeze the atpl . what happens? is it back to resitting all exams again or what ?. I just assumed its back to sit all 14 again . I am asking just in case I am wrong ?

cheers mac

ifitaintboeing
29th Nov 2015, 19:55
For the ATPL examinations, your reference is FCL.025(c)(2) which is reproduced in CAP 804, Section 4, Part A, page 4. (http://www.caa.co.uk/cap804)

For the IR, your reference is FCL.625(d) which is reproduced in CAP 804, Section 4, Part G, Subpart 1, page 3.

If you've got a valid IR the ATPL theoretical knowledge examinations '7 year clock' only starts ticking when the IR expires. I've recently conducted a single-engine IR renewal for a gentleman who was coming up to 7 years since his IR-SPA-ME last expired. Completing renewal of his IR, even in a SEP, will 'lock' his exams in for another seven years following expiry of that IR-SPA-SE in twelve months time.

ifitaint...

macflea
30th Nov 2015, 21:36
thanks for info

cyclic
1st Jan 2016, 21:14
I have a current EASA ATPL(H) IR. I also have an expired JAR CPL(A) IR. How do I go about getting an EASA CPL(A)? Under JAR my IR was kept current by virtue of my H IR but I don't think this is the case any longer. I took my ATPL(A) exams about 13 years ago but I have been a current ATPL(H) IR since.

Thanks.

Iflyplainplanes
8th Mar 2016, 23:02
ifitaintboeing,

Thank you for your information, this is very helpful.

So I have had a look at Fly In Spain in Jerez, and they said I have to do the whole MEP course again (4 hours + 2 FNPT + written exam and Skills test) to revalidate my MEP. Would this be true for the UK too? Also they have quoted me a price for doing my IR renewal in a SEP but I initially done the test in an MEP as I understood this is what the airlines want.

Happy to help with the training and/or tests for the SEP/MEP/IR.

ifitaint...

I would be grateful for more information on training and tests etc are you affiliated with a flight school?

Iflyplainplanes
9th Mar 2016, 00:10
I finished in 2008 ,never made it , everything expired , but I converted the jaa Cpl to an easa Cpl just to keep it for life . if I want to go back flying for fun , its a single engine rating plus nav.

How did you know when to quit? Or when did you realise it wasnt going to happen? Pretty sure i'm leaning toward the its never going to happen side of things.

BillieBob
9th Mar 2016, 08:13
So I have had a look at Fly In Spain in Jerez, and they said I have to do the whole MEP course again (4 hours + 2 FNPT + written exam and Skills test) to revalidate my MEP. Would this be true for the UK too?It's not even true for the rest of Spain. The amount of refresher flying needed to reach the level of proficiency required to pass the MEP proficiency check is entirely at the discretion of the Head of Training of the ATO. There are no minimum requirements set by the Regulation and the sort of hogwash that you are being fed is designed to only swell the income of the ATO concerned. Any reasonable training provider will assess the training required by reference to your logbook and, perhaps, a session in an FSTD and only then determine the training required. However, the actual time taken may be more or less than the initial estimate according to your ability to meet the required standard.

ifitaintboeing
9th Mar 2016, 15:14
...and they said I have to do the whole MEP course again (4 hours + 2 FNPT + written exam and Skills test) to revalidate my MEP. Would this be true for the UK too?

Following feedback from industry, the UK CAA filed an Alternative Means of Compliance for refresher training towards renewal of class and type ratings. The UK alternative requirements for applicants specify training as required in accordance with an individually tailored programme. See the UK Alt MoC1 FCL.740(b)(1) which can be found in CAP 804, Section 4, Part H, Subpart 1, page 7. Therefore, it's just training as required, then a MEP Proficiency Check to renew your MEP class rating.

Also they have quoted me a price for doing my IR renewal in a SEP but I initially done the test in an MEP as I understood this is what the airlines want.

At present, FCL.720.A(d) states that an applicant for a first type rating course must hold a current multi-engine IR(A) - see CAP 804, Section 4, Part H, Subpart 1, page 3. In the future, this is due to be amended as and when NPA 2014-29(A) (https://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/NPA%202014-29%20%28A%29.pdf) is adopted to make an expired multi-engine IR(A) acceptable.

are you affiliated with a flight school?

Under EASA, all renewal training must be conducted under an ATO.

ifitaint...