PDA

View Full Version : EK 380 vs 777... Interesting read

Kapitanleutnant
23rd Nov 2015, 08:29
Why does Emirates use Airbus A380 planes as opposed to twin engine planes ? (http://www.airlineupdates.net/why-does-emirates-use-so-many-airbus-a380-planes-as-opposed-to-twin-engine-planes-which-might-be-cheaper-to-operate/)

White Knight
23rd Nov 2015, 08:57
Quite an interesting read... There are other points though that are missed; slot constraints at places like LHR, JFK for example. And of course the ability to carry a full payload without leaving any staff passengers behind!

Mind you, with the price of Jet Fuel now the 345s would be supreme...

High Energy
23rd Nov 2015, 09:15
No mention of cargo carrying capability anywhere. And to finish with 'EK only have 51 outstanding 777's on order compared to 80ish A380 is a useless fact. The 777's have been coming in thick and fast over many more years. And 150 (replacements) have been ordered too.

CAYNINE
23rd Nov 2015, 10:24
More inane A vs B bulls$t, give it a break I fly aeroplanes... we all fly aeroplanes.... does it matter which, no.

White Knight
23rd Nov 2015, 11:07
Caynine - I actually can't agree more and my post certainly wasn't A v B. Just adding a couple more points.. They are both great aeroplanes...

LadyMatilda
23rd Nov 2015, 19:30
The 777 is an AWESOME machine. It can carry all those bags the A380 leaves behind ALL THE WAY to Hyderabad, Islamabad and all those other "...bad" places.

Enjoy it boys! You fly the best plane in the sky! :D

Wizofoz
23rd Nov 2015, 20:11
Fill it and the Bus makes money for EK- though it will never make a cent for Airbus.

The question is, are there enough routes to regularly fill 120 of them?

SOPS
23rd Nov 2015, 22:54
Even I have to admit...the A345 would be in its element now with the current fuel price.

Outatowner
25th Nov 2015, 06:54
And of course the ability to carry a full payload without leaving any staff passengers behind!Yes, very genuine WK, not a hint of guile there.... :=

Of course management took their staff into account when they bought a hundred of those things. And pigs will fly.

In fact - they DO!

GoreTex
25th Nov 2015, 11:07
777 SEA to DXB, 140 empty seats but load restricted, nice

Schnowzer
25th Nov 2015, 11:11
As most 380 flights are ULRs, you need at least 3 per route so that swallows up a fair few.

What is the biggest the fleet numbers are planned to get to? Many of the orders are replacements. We must be due to ditch the test 380s soon followed by the older jets in short order.

bogeydope
25th Nov 2015, 11:55
That's only because there will be about 30-40 tons of fruit in the hold.......:D:D

GoreTex
25th Nov 2015, 14:01
so the 777 can take fruits but not passengers from SEA to DXB lol

bogeydope
25th Nov 2015, 15:54
You can LOL all you want, but I guess those decisions, are above both of our paygrade.........:uhoh:

harry the cod
25th Nov 2015, 17:33
I agree with Bogey. At the end of the day, who cares which is 'best'. Each one has it advantages and disadvantages. 380 is spacious, quiet and has probably the best rosters. Downside are the 400 faces that watch you take a dump and the crap service from 2 month old clueless cabin crew. Less team spirit too on the super. We get paid the same and treated the same regardless of which machine we operate. It's the quality of life that matters most and the 380 is probably out in front on that score.

So, to answer Schnowzer's question, I believe that with another 72 A380's to come, all 150 will be in service alongside over 200+ B777 variants. The 777X will replace older 777s from 2019 as and when with a possible new type being ordered within the next 1-2 years. Whilst the Super may well take some more premium destinations off the Boeing within the next few years, I envisage more and more mixed types on the same route depending on load factors, especially when the new generation Boeings arrive. It's sheer size will inevitably restrict the 380 from some of our less popular destinations but without doubt it will begin to be used more and more on high density routes such as India, Thailand and Asia/Australia, especially in the new 2 class config.

In 5 years from now I'd not be too surprised if the rosters across the fleets had far less disparity than is currently the case.

Harry

natops
25th Nov 2015, 21:50
Thats what Im thinking Harry...

Wizofoz
26th Nov 2015, 01:53
IF Airbus don't decide to stop throwing good money after bad and stop making the thing.....

fatbus
26th Nov 2015, 02:18
Emirates CEO lets the cat out of the bag - eTurboNews.com (http://www.eturbonews.com/60057/emirates-ceo-lets-cat-out-bag)

up to 300 by 2025, 70 additional in 10 years. You can find other articles stating similar numbers 280 to 300 by 2025

donpizmeov
26th Nov 2015, 04:26
That's only because there will be about 30-40 tons of fruit in the hold.......:D:D

Goretex,

I don't think anyone has taught the John Deere fellas how to read a loadsheet.

CaptainChipotle
26th Nov 2015, 12:01
Until its revealed that the company surreptitiously picked out the "best of the best" from the selection to inject into the Airbus fleet under the premise that only the best could fly the big bird I'm going to continue to shake my head at the people who think WHAT they fly defines THEM as an aviator.

You fly a big plane, but you cry like a girl. And that accounts for A and B.

And Muttley I had a good chuckle at your comment. Because it's true.

Moving on...

helen-damnation
26th Nov 2015, 12:02
777 SEA to DXB, 140 empty seats but load restricted, nice

BS, unless it's using JFK as an alternate. Been there, good loads and also to LAX with 300.

Flown both and they are both good at what they do. Halas!

wanabee777
26th Nov 2015, 12:28
If the headwinds are a little strong or the OAT is high, the JNB to ATL leg on the 777 can be problematic.

One night we left with 40 empty seats and the same amount of revenue passengers behind.

On another, we pushed with a full airplane but not one bag or ounce of cargo in the holds.

On yet another, we departed with reduced fuel and had to flag stop in SJU where another crew had been pre-positioned to take the flight on to ATL.

Makes for a lot of happy campers.:\

Regardless, I still miss that plane.

nolimitholdem
26th Nov 2015, 19:56
The 380 guys HAVE to love it. They're stuck at EK forever.

The B777 and A330 guys? Lots of options. Which they're now exercising in record numbers.

It's not about Airbus or Boeing, it's about which rating lets you leave Dubai/EK the quickest. Bickering about which can carry X payload or flies Y route is to completely miss the point.

A380 = career dead end. Unless you have some compensatory need to say you fly a Super. Which, judging by how some of the lads seem to work the suffix into every single radio call, appears to be the case for a few.

*cough* WhitedonpizmeoffKnight *cough*

fatbus
27th Nov 2015, 01:34
I know of 2 380 pilots , never flown a Boeing before , now flying 787! Also one 380 pilot (5 years since flying 330) now on 330 again.

Would not be so quick to say 380 is a dead end . Many pilots are more than happy to enjoy the rosters on the 380 compared to the 777 and be finished in a few years.

Eau de Boeing
27th Nov 2015, 02:00
Plenty of jobs available to 380 drivers, even on Boeings....

We just have to bring our own back supports.

nolimitholdem
27th Nov 2015, 06:37
lol.

Sorry, but where are the "plenty of jobs" that would prefer a 380 or other Airbus rating for a B777/787 job over an experienced B777-rated captain? Now you're really starting to believe your own bs. Or just have zero knowledge of the contract world.

Reading comprehension. If you want to dust off your A330 rating, I already said there are jobs. And of course there will be places that will take non-rated guys - but then you have to ask why the rated guys aren't applying lol. (Hainan, anyone?! Yuck.)

The 380 is a career deadend because absolutely no one is enamoured of it the way EK is. The order book is shrinking, not growing. It's not news, and hardly difficult to understand.

Many pilots are more than happy to enjoy the rosters on the 380 compared to the 777 and be finished in a few years.

Annnnd we're back to where we started. My point exactly. You better be ready to end your career on it, and you better love EK and Dubai. You ain't going anywhere. If that works for you, that's great. But don't try and claim there are plenty of opportunities elsewhere. Your satisfaction will have to subsist on your awesome roster, flogging another ULR trying to sleep next to the screaming babies in the CRC that renders EK's machines unsaleable on the secondary market lol.

Now, back to your tired bickering over which destination you "get" to go to and pilot seat comfort and all that. You still have to work for the slave machine.

Eau de Boeing
27th Nov 2015, 07:16
Who said anything about contract jobs?

Nolimit there are plenty of other jobs and dare I say careers out there for A380 eurobrats, especially for people who are young enough to use "lol".

The airline I am referring to is actually far more interested in the person rather than what ratings they hold and place you on whichever fleet the business needs require taking into account your personal preference too. Oh and this one is through personal experience not bs.

So I will take my nice rosters for the moment and enjoy them, knowing there is a good option to leave should I need it, thanks for your concern though.

MerAir80
27th Nov 2015, 08:08
How come this kind of topics always drifts away to what's best and what's worst?
I am on the Boeing fleet but still can't get any benefit of knowing the 380 guys being stuck in EK, or not sleeping in the CRC or getting extra cosmic radiation for the continous pole flights.
As they don't get any benefit of knowing me doing sh1tty night turns 4 to 5 times a month, or flying almost permanently over 100 hrs per month or strugling to put 5 days off together.
Unless we feel better for others' issues rather than our own situation. That's quite sad though.
And then the continous statments of which aircraft is better than the other (performancewise and so on).
I am in the fleet they assigned me to. That's it. Same for you guys.
Anyway I am glad many of you know which aircraft is the best and am sure you'll make the right choice when you go buy your own 380 or 777.

GoreTex
27th Nov 2015, 09:25
nolimitholdem,

I am leaving in a few months and I flew the 380 for the last 6 years, I have no problem finding a job, lots of offers out there for me, I have to say my rosters were not too bad on the 380, I didn't get what I wanted but only did 4 turns in 6 years.

That you don't get a job is BS, spread by the same people that also say EK has to block 100 seats on the 380 to fly to LAX

LHR Rain
27th Nov 2015, 21:14
Korean is interested in A-380 pilots. They haven't hired any or even interviewed yet but if they do watch out. I would be in the first class if they hire ex-pat 380 drivers.
It is only going to get worse at EK and I didn't think that was possible a year ago.

swh
27th Nov 2015, 22:05
In short order A350s will start entering service in numbers. It is an A380 twin up front.

White Knight
29th Nov 2015, 04:55
Nolimit - you are a very bitter and sad individual... Time to grow up maybe?

As for the 'Super' affixed to the call sign it is, as far as I'm aware, required on first contact with each new ATC sector! (definitely mandatory in UK airspace) And it may help YOUR situational awareness; hate to see a tractor getting rolled too far over!!!
As I say though - only for first contact... I'm not the one dragging the 'super' into every single contact and nor is Don!

Wizofoz
29th Nov 2015, 07:09
NLH is twelve months short of having bitched about EK and the UAE for a solid decade- yet, strangely, still seems to be here....

NLH, just as well you are on the fleet that makes exit easy- where are you going?

Outatowner
29th Nov 2015, 08:55
That's not really a fair comment, Wiz. Did you check his history before making that claim? Even if NLH has been bitching for nine years (and he may well have been working here a lot longer than his join date on this site) than maybe what that really says is the company management should be taking a good long look at themselves in the mirror.

Having made the decision to come here presumably of sound mind at the time, NLH and others try to make a life out of it a long way from home and amidst the ever-changing (for the worse) conditions and terms of the agreement they thought they had with the employer. Having to bear the expense of endless, underhanded, nit-picky (and often not transparent) belt-tightening fiscal actions by faceless fuks in the 9-5 Mon-Fri office labyrinth who help themselves to salary deductions but don't reply to emails can get to even the most stalwart. Dealing with those m/fkrs is compounded by endless, pointless small-minded rules each week and fear of repercussions for anything. Then throw in the everyday realities of living in this place.

He's venting harmlessly on a website while their response to employee woes has always been "if you don't like it leave." And you're surprised? Maybe, having committed to this place, he finds it hard to uproot and feels trapped, which leads to a bad attitude. It's pretty simple concept. I'm actually surprised there isn't more mental illness in this company.

You should walk a mile in his moccasins before criticising, Wiz. Despite your positive outlook, you may find your rose-tinted view will clear a little.

PS: In fact I haven't heard them say that about leaving for a while, after so many began to take their petty, churlish advice but you get the point.

nolimitholdem
30th Nov 2015, 00:00
Now now. No need to get panties in a twist. I have an opinion, and am fully entitled to express it. But if you think my time at EK is anywhere near 10 years...you can think again...I would have done myself in long before then. The company is just doing that for you, now.

White Knight advising another to grow up. Will wonders never cease. But come on. We all know full well that it's you on the radio dropping "Super"-bombs every call. No need to deny it, be proud! lol

anson harris
30th Nov 2015, 00:31
This? Again?
To quote Alan Partridge: "get yourself a girlfriend".

QCM
1st Dec 2015, 08:24
That"s fantastic all these figures...fuel burn...fuel cost...seat number...but we will always need 2 pilots to make these numbers come alive,and these pilots made of flesh and bones will be the Achille's heel of these cold predictions...just 2 more seats to feed...a colossus with feet of clay is growing...