PDA

View Full Version : Jackaroo

PAXboy
22nd Nov 2015, 18:25
Anyone heard of this big modification to a G.Moth so that it had an enclosed cabin and 4 seats? I have seen a photo og G-AOIR but do not have it to hand at this stage.

treadigraph
22nd Nov 2015, 18:37
Perhaps 20 Tiger Moths converted to four seat Jackaroos at Thruxton, late 50s and early 60s. Rollasons did one too for the Tiger Club. I think one or two survivors were de-modified back to Tiger Moths.

Sheila Scott owned and raced one before she acquired her Comanche.

munster
22nd Nov 2015, 18:45
I had the pleasure of a ride in G-APAP a couple of months ago. It spent several years as a Jackaroo before being converted back.

norwich
22nd Nov 2015, 18:46
The only photo I can find quickly is of G-AOIR at Lt Gransden some years ago .... but doesn't show the cockpit canopy very well ??

Keith

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/lt%20gransden/DSC_0130.jpg

DaveReidUK
22nd Nov 2015, 19:09
Eighteen conversions at Thruxton, plus one that wasn't completed. The one-off Rollason conversion was to a slightly different design with a tapered rear fuselage rather than the characteristic Thruxton "tadpole" shape.

GGR155
22nd Nov 2015, 19:27
G-APAP Thruxton Jackaroo was our tug aircraft at Moonrakers Gliding Club RAF Upavon in Wilts. It was there up to 1973 when I left. Learned the art of prop swinging on this old girl. Great fun.
GGR

PAXboy
22nd Nov 2015, 19:46
Ah, great and prompt response thank you! The man who did the engineering detail for it has just died and I am gathering a little extra information for the family.

He started at Fairey in Hayes, and went to the College of Aeronautics. Then Martin Baker and Baynes Aircraft Interiors before moving into the construction line but aviation was his life long interest. Many other things along the way.

Are any jackaroos still airworthy?

treadigraph
22nd Nov 2015, 20:06
Nice little film (http://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-crop-duster-four-seater-aircraft)

clunckdriver
22nd Nov 2015, 20:18
Yes, quite a few flying, my wife and I were at the Woburn Abbey fly in this year, one flown by a lady did very well at "balloon busting" and flying under the "Limbo banner", We have in fact thought about buying one as our DH Hornet Moth has a very snug cockpit with very little pay load and it would be nice to take more than one person flying at vintage gatherings over this side of the pond.

scotbill
22nd Nov 2015, 21:51
Classic "variable noise, constant speed" aeroplane with four up!

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2015, 21:56
I'd love to fly one, but so far have only been able to admire at a couple of vintage aircraft fly-ins.

There are two currently flying on the UK register.

https://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detail&aircrafttype=Jackaroo&dataindex=0

and

https://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detail&aircrafttype=Jackaroo&dataindex=2

G

DaveReidUK
22nd Nov 2015, 22:07
There are two currently flying on the UK register.

Based at Henlow and Headcorn respectively.

You can fly in the latter: Fly in the Jackaroo - Aero Legends (http://aerolegends.co.uk/tiger-moth/fly-in-a-jackaroo)

oftenflylo
23rd Nov 2015, 09:59
Clunkdriver - Suggest you go the whole hog and get a Dragon.

CSman
23rd Nov 2015, 10:13
Ah, the Jackaroo, flew one, G-APJV as part of my PPL together with Tiger Moth G-AOUY in 1959. Both owned by the Glamorgan Flying Club If I remember right the Jackaroo Climb Speed was 80 the cruise speed was 80,and the best descent speed was 80 So long ago Csman

Fitter2
23rd Nov 2015, 10:40
G-APAP Thruxton Jackaroo was our tug aircraft at Moonrakers Gliding Club RAF Upavon in Wilts. It was there up to 1973 when I left. Learned the art of prop swinging on this old girl. Great fun.
GGR

Minor correction, the Upavon based Jackaroo was G-APAM, owned by Ralph Jones, and the one originally owned by Sheila Scott. I did my first aerotow from the front end of the rope in PAM, with 11 hours power total in my logbook. We used her as a tug at Inkpen from 1972, when Moonrakers closed. There was another Jackaroo at the Army Club at Netheravon at the time.

I remember it being a one-speed type, but nearer 60 kts than 80; also the 12 inch speader bar in the undercarriage to cater for the increased fuselage width making it far more docile than a standard DH82 in a crosswind.

PAM is now converted back to a proper Tiger, based at a strip near Hungerford.

clunckdriver
23rd Nov 2015, 10:56
Oftenflylow, We are looking for one at this time, but dont want to buy a restoration project, have done enough of that, so somthing with more payload would fit the bill, the Waco series seem to be along the right lines and are more common than DH products this side of the pond, but maybe we have enough toys for our time left on the top side of the grass!

oftenflylo
23rd Nov 2015, 11:13
I only came for the entertainment. Don't think anybody needs a Jackaroo. WSF greatest achievement was announcing at Farnboro they had sold one to India. I seem to think bits shipped & a registration was allocated by the Madras authorities. Before wisdom prevailed.

DaveReidUK
23rd Nov 2015, 12:01
I can't find any trace of that Indian Jackaroo, but ex-WSF examples certainly made their way to Nigeria, Argentina and Canada in the late 60s/early 70s.

oftenflylo
23rd Nov 2015, 15:08
Madras aeroclub ordered one - kit was shipped - I saw a reggie quoted in about 1965 -that did not appear as 82a or Jackaroo. Rollasons built two NZT & POV.
keep up!

Planemike
23rd Nov 2015, 19:33
Have done some sleuthing on Jackaroo histories.

It would appear that G-APAK (with that reg you would expect it to go to the country next door!!) was intended as a Jackaroo conversion. Conversion never took place: cancelled from UK register 18 Jun 69. The airframe was apparently shipped to the Madras Flying Club and registered VT-DOF. It was overhauled, acquiring the "c/n" MFC-06/61. It was eventually cancelled from the Indian register 21 Nov 69.

Four more Tiger Moths were intended for conversion N6667 (G-APRB), T8197 (G-APRC), N6585 (G-APSU) and DE636 (G-APSV). None of these was converted.

A J Jackson's BCA 1919 - 1972 Volume III states 18 were built by Jackaroo Aircraft Ltd (Wiltshire School of Flying) and ONE was built by Rollasons
(G-APOV).

I was always under the impression G-ANZT was a Rollason machine but it would appear this is not the case, unless anyone knows otherwise.

G-ANZT and G-AOIR remain airworthy in UK. At least one other remains in store. It is likely G-APHZ is still be airworthy in Canada as C-FPHZ formerly CF-QOT...http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1150970/ http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/cazsite/aviation/avgen/mothmania/mm09.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thruxton_Jackaroo#/media/File:Tiger_Boys_Jackaroo.JPG

DaveReidUK
23rd Nov 2015, 22:00
A J Jackson's BCA 1919 - 1972 Volume III states 18 were built by Jackaroo Aircraft Ltd (Wiltshire School of Flying) and ONE was built by Rollasons
(G-APOV).

I was always under the impression G-ANZT was a Rollason machine but it would appear this is not the case, unless anyone knows otherwise.The photos that survive of the Thruxton-built Jackaroos mostly show a kink in the turtledeck just aft of the canopy, apart from G-ANZT which has a smooth profile and a tapered fuselage. That's also the case for the confirmed Rollason-built example G-APOV, so it would certainly seem possible that, despite what Jackson says, G-ANZT was also a Rollason conversion.

Edit: This source:

http://all-aero.com/index.php/contactus/46-planes-i-j-k/5285-jackaroo-aircraft-thruxton-jackaroo-

suggests that G-ANZT was a Thruxton conversion, subsequently acquired and modified by Rollason as a precursor to carrying out their own conversion on G-APOV.

That sounds more likely.

oftenflylo
24th Nov 2015, 07:18
Not really interest what folk have put on web-sites in recent years.
Pleased you dug out the indian reggie.
As for G-ANZT I think we are all thinking/remembering along similar lines. The slight difference might be conversion (& completion) by Rollasons.
The real abomination was the crop sprayer with the cut-down deck, a single pilots seat on left side with even less sightline to the right, additional drag etc. Somebody must be able to put a picture up here.

As an aside Airspray initially use G-APHZ as a sprayer but quickly took the kit off.

treadigraph
24th Nov 2015, 09:09
The single seat crop sprayer appears in the video I posted on first page. Can't find any pics on web. There is a pic of 'PHZ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Airspray-(Colchester)Ltd./Thruxton-Jackaroo/2101385/L/) in her dusting outfit!

Planemike
24th Nov 2015, 10:11
"""Not really interest what folk have put on web-sites in recent years."""

No, but other readers of the thread maybe interested in seeing them.

""""As for G-ANZT I think we are all thinking/remembering along similar lines. The slight difference might be conversion (& completion) by Rollasons. """

This looks possible, G-INFO shows NZT initially registered to WSF and then to Rollasons, transferred in Mar/Apr 58. Transferred back to WSF in Jun 64.

clunckdriver
24th Nov 2015, 12:43
Well, managed to get Tom and Bob of the "Tiger Boys" on the phone yesterday before they go South for the winter where they carry on their restoration work in hangars which dont require heating! They own and fly Jakaroo CF-PHZ, which I belive started life in 1937 as a DH82A, Im away from any decent internet hook up at the moment but if someone Googles this registration it seems to have had an" interesting" life, including being in France during the Germam invasion! Im on my way next week I hope before they depart for warmer climes and hope to get some pictures along with advice on some work to be done on one of our Gipsy engines, Sorry to be so brief but our world just turned very white and have snow equipment to prepare!

oftenflylo
24th Nov 2015, 14:02
Planemike - Sorry did not quite mean it like that. I always hope someone will put up their own photos from long time ago. The ag-abomination request was just such a hoped for....
These made up pages like Wiki Aerod etc are just grabs of bits & become gospel. I find two complete pages on Wiki credited to me - never did it, somebody else has & put their errors in..
Overlooked, so far, the original G-AMTX - which later grew in to G-APJV and G-ALIV which was another not completed (might have blossomed later as G-APsomething).

DaveReidUK
24th Nov 2015, 14:13
They own and fly Jakaroo CF-PHZLovely looking example. If that can be said of any Jackaroo. :O

http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/46/46159_800.jpg

oftenflylo
24th Nov 2015, 14:17
ooooo -look -they've fitted Canadian 'raked' legs!

Planemike
24th Nov 2015, 14:32
oftenflylo....

Yes, agree G-AMTX morphed into G-APJV. No signs of G-ALIV (T6247) moving onto another identity, although the registration document has been amended to show type change from deH82A to Thruxton Jackaroo. Think this is another one to add to the other four "might have beens".

oftenflylo
24th Nov 2015, 14:52
The one up the road here is fully assembled & could be flown

treadigraph
24th Nov 2015, 15:03
ooooo -look -they've fitted Canadian 'raked' legs!

And a tailwheel!

India Four Two
24th Nov 2015, 16:43
I saw one performing in a Tiger Club display at Ramsgate Airport in the 50s.

Two questions:

1. Why Jackaroo?

2. Was it really a four-seater?

Wiki says about 800 lb useful load, so with full fuel - 120 lb?, there is room for four 170 lb people. I know people were skinnier back then, but this seems a bit fanciful. I noticed in the video that one of the passengers was quite young. ;)

I wonder what the performance was like at max. AUW.

VictorGolf
24th Nov 2015, 17:52
Well, back in Summer 1959, a pal and I were on a plane spotting trip down to Cornwall from Blackpool when we called in to Thruxton. Lovely Summer's day and a Jackaroo was sitting on the grass and being 19 and therefore a fount of knowledge on everything, I casually said "well that will never take 4 people". Naturally I was overheard by a bearded aviator who said "find me 3 people and we'll go flying". So I did and we did! And neither my chum nor I were 7 stone weaklings of Charles Atlas fame. Unfortunately my log doesn't reveal the registration which is pretty poor for an ex-spotter.

norwich
24th Nov 2015, 19:18
I have found a couple more photos, not old I am afraid, taken within the last four years I imagine ? at Northrepps Cromer .... I hope I have sized them better this time ???? Enjoy !

Keith.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/northrepps%20etc/cb5b0396-6118-485d-992e-4afc6d4c2f1f.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/northrepps%20etc/7ca59d70-da8d-4977-b534-b61ae9dfce17.jpg

Fitter2
24th Nov 2015, 21:36
2. Was it really a four-seater?

Among the sorties in my logbook, one in 1969 when the weather was too rubbish to launch gliders, Jackaroo G-APAM, pilot Ralph Jones, passengers John Thorne (who used to own Compton Abbas), Ron Wright (ex RCAF CF-100 nav) and myself flew Upavon - Nympsfield to see if the weather was better there. It wasn't. The other 3 had a pint or two, and I was designated pilot back to Upavon when the cloudbase lifted a bit.

It could carry 4 up (cruise about 65 mph).

thetexpat
25th Nov 2015, 02:08
I believe this may be the 'missing' crop-spraying Tiger referred to:

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy98/thetexpat/Thruxton/G-AMTOTigerMothduster13AUG1961_zpsc284690c.jpg (http://s781.photobucket.com/user/thetexpat/media/Thruxton/G-AMTOTigerMothduster13AUG1961_zpsc284690c.jpg.html)

Pic was taken when I was 'doing' my PPL @ Thruxton JUL-AUG.1961!

thetexpat

DaveReidUK
25th Nov 2015, 06:46
I believe this may be the 'missing' crop-spraying Tiger referred toThat looks more like a regular Tiger Moth, rather than the crop-sprayer Jackaroo.

oftenflylo
25th Nov 2015, 07:26
Yup G-AMTO - regular Tiger but with the larger screen to aid visibility & the ability to look over both sides. The Thruxton conversion appears in the treadigraph film-link much earlier in the thread.

Planemike
25th Nov 2015, 07:50
Victor Golf............

You beat me to it by about three years. My first visit to Thruxton was to attend Thruxton Air Races 16 September 1962. Seem to recall there was a Jackaroo race with about six aircraft taking part. Down in the hangar I remember seeing Miles Falcon G-ADTD, this was to crash a week later practising for Shoreham Air Races.

Think your "bearded aviator" could be Pat Shea Simmonds who was the "test pilot" for the Jackaroo.

treadigraph
25th Nov 2015, 07:59
Would Pat Shea-Simmonds be Charlie's dad?

Planemike
25th Nov 2015, 08:02
Yes, I believe so...........

FAStoat
25th Nov 2015, 15:23
I dont remember Pat Shea Simmonds having a beard.However I was at the same Prep School as his Kids Robert and George,Charlie having gone elsewhere.I did my Flying Scholarship in 1962/63 at Wiltshire School of Flying under the Instruction of John Heaton ,the one eared CFI,who used to freewheel Jackaroos and any John Isaacs Aeroplanes over the lower Hangar Roof dropping floor bags on those below.There were magic old WW2 Instructors with names like "Sprocket" Spencer Smith,"Ramsay"Smith,and the redoubtable Bill Leary,whose wife "Tickle" ran the cafe,plus others I cant remember or flew with.Having learnt to fly I used to return some weekends and fly the Parachute Club,under a tall blonde haired Yank known as "Aces",in a Jackaroo with the side doors removed.The static lines were attached to metal bulkeads inside the cockpit,and the Instructor sat beside me with 2 studes in the back.It took over 30 minutes to get above 5000ft,then a throttle off spiral descent to land before the chutists-this used to regularly blow the exhaust gaskets."ZT" was all black in those days and rested engineless in the hangar owned by Charles Boddington.Also "APAM used to rest in the hangar unflown.The Zion Koenig was there as well as about 3 or 4 Proctors.The Jackaroos I flew in 1963 were :- G-AOEX<OAP<OIX<OIW<OIR<OAJ.In 64 they were temporarilly grounded after one spun in over Chilbolton,and the ASI had to be moved from left side of cockpit to far right,so that the Instructor could see it from behind.The Stude was killed and the large Dutch Instructor survived,as I recall.The Army Flying Club from Old Sarum,used to shoot Pheasants over Inkpenn Ridge from a Jackaroo ,with the Cockpit sides off, with Land Rover and Dogs on the ground-I seem to remember it was a Major Peter Kent in charge,but great fun was had in these now nearly extinct aeroplanes!!I think Pat Shea Simmonds helped design and test fly them for the Airfield Owner and Boss,Sqn Ldr Doran Webb.Other characters were Ken Voss who also parachuted and owned a very nice Emeraude as did Luella Selka who also drove a dove grey MGA and often offered a lift to us kids into Andover!!!!Other Instructors were Ted Clowes who then flew at Wallop,as did Joe Ruprecht(Ex WW2 Polish Ace).Various DogFights were staged near Shaftesbury,to encourage their Tiger Moth to get airborne.Poor Ted later flew out to sea in a FRADU Hunter never to be seen again in the late 70s.Very happy and Fun days!!!!!!
One final memory was that "ZT" had a Chipmunk Gipsy 10/2 fitted and metal prop,which both Boddingtons used for Air Racing,but never flew during the time I was there,and the engine had been removed.Also a Magister was in bits in one of the nissen huts.

Ian Titcombe
25th Nov 2015, 16:40
As a slight aside, I used to sit around with my mother in the late 50's early 60's whilst my "Uncle" Jim attempted to obtain his PPL on the Jackaroo. I can remember at one stage there being three Mosquito's parked by the control tower, which if memory serves me had been sold/were being sold to Jordan. I think that I have some photo's somewhere and must have a dig and delve.

PAXboy
25th Nov 2015, 22:54
Thank you for all the information and I'm glad that the topic was of interest. The gentleman in question was Ron Prizeman and his funeral was today. Here is one paragraph from a tribute that one of his sons read, that may amuse:

You can imagine his pride and excitement when, in the 1980s during a family trip to an airfield, one of the few Jackeroos unexpectedly landed. "I want to shake that pilot's hand" Dad said. You can imagine his dismay when the pilot managed to taxi it into a gatepost, smashing the wing. "Do you still want to shake his hand?" I asked mischievously. "I want to punch his nose" was the reply.

treadigraph
25th Nov 2015, 23:28
Pax, I was going to ask. Bless him and RIP.

FAStoat
26th Nov 2015, 11:24
Delving into my old paperwork,I see Thruxton was under "Western Air Training" in 1962,becoming Wiltshire School of Flying later in 63.I think Denis Neville still owns one of the only Jackaroos left in the UK??Most were converted back to Tiger Moth Spec.With regards to the 3 Mosquitos,there were in the 80s 3 burnt out wrecks still,just about identifiable by their Centre Sections and U/C mounts still in the long grass just north of the now Grain store old Hangar.Maybe removed after the Race Circuit was developed,but these were never sold and burnt in situ.Very Sad!!!??Of course the Jackaroo was always known as the "Thruxton Jackaroo".

old,not bold
26th Nov 2015, 19:24
My very first powered flight (not counting passenger flying) was a joyride in a Jackaroo at Thruxton; 60 minutes of total bliss and I can still remember every minute of it, although not exactly when, or who the pilot was. Probably in 1960/61. I had a gliding Silver C (Lasham), but this was exciting and different. It launched me into a career in the aviation industry now fast approaching its, and/or my end.

I blame that b****y Jackaroo for the fact that I spent last Tuesday in a large room in Germany, with 175 other victims, undergoing death by Powerpoint as low-quality European officials turn aviation safety into an ever-tightening spiral of over-complicated, self-defeating bureaucracy, each Regulation produced to correct the errors of its predecessors, and each one more badly thought through, and more badly drafted than the last.

PS Please ignore the above, sorry for the drift. I'll have a strong drink now to make it better.

Mechta
28th Nov 2015, 00:12
1. Why Jackaroo?

Jackaroo is an Australian term for a trainee farmhand, so it could be that the perceived market was outback sheep and cattle stations needing a simple, rugged aircraft for getting around the property,doing odd jobs and taking the kids to school?

With De Havilland Australia producing the Drover (named after the Australian equivalent of a cowboy), and Jackaroo inferring a small or junior worker, the inference is that it would be something smaller and cheaper to run.

DaveReidUK
28th Nov 2015, 08:24
In 64 they were temporarilly grounded after one spun in over Chilbolton, and the ASI had to be moved from left side of cockpit to far right, so that the Instructor could see it from behind.The Stude was killed and the large Dutch Instructor survived, as I recall.

Some more details on the accident from the MoA's 1964 Accidents to Aircraft survey:

"During a dual practice forced landing on the aerodrome, the aircraft suddenly stalled while turning at a height of about 500 ft. It entered a spin and this continued until the aircraft hit the ground. There was no fire. The student pilot was sitting in the left hand front seat, and the instructor was sitting behind him; because of this, the instructor was unable to see the airspeed indicator, which was in front of the student. Furthermore, when the instructor attempted to take control, the student pilot could not understand him when he said "Let go, I have control", because no intercom was fitted. The student did not let go of the controls, but continued with his efforts to recover from the spin, until the aircraft hit the ground. The report on this accident was published by HMSO as CAP 233."

The location here is identified as Thruxton aerodrome, though of course that's not far from Chilbolton There may be some confusion with the accident that destroyed another Jackaroo, G-APAI, also in April 1964 (on the 8th), which did occur at Chilbolton.

The report also shows both the student and instructor surviving, albeit with serious injuries.

PAXboy
28th Nov 2015, 15:07
Prizeman's family told me that the idea for the Jackaroo came from an instructing airfield where they wanted to make it more economical than using the 2-seater Moth.

It was only later that the crop conversion was made. However, the word 'jackaroo' to indicate someone in training would be appropriate and could be how the name came about.

Allan Lupton
28th Nov 2015, 15:47
The student pilot was sitting in the left hand front seat, and the instructor was sitting behind him; because of this, the instructor was unable to see the airspeed indicator, which was in front of the student.
In the mid 1960s a group of us tried to form a flying group and as most had no licence I recruited a colleague as instructor/member.
The two group leaders, who were PPL holders, bought a Jackaroo without reference to the rest of us and the instructor withdrew as the conversion made instruction impossible in his opinion, since there were no instruments for the instructor - and his view forward to the right was compromised. It seems he was all too right, but happily he didn't flight test the problems he foresaw.

rotorfossil
28th Nov 2015, 16:16
I find it interesting that whereas the Jackaroo seems to be regarded as a complete dog, the Fox Moth with the same engine and theoretical 3 pax capacity was highly regarded as an efficient aircraft. Different times I guess.

GGR155
28th Nov 2015, 16:32
G-APAP was at Upavon when I was stationed there. On occasions G-APAM would also be available. I will not disagree with earlier comments but AP definitely was the tug in residence in my time. I left Upavon in March 73. I have it in one of my logbooks too.

India Four Two
29th Nov 2015, 13:09
Mechta,

I know the origin of the word Jackaroo (and its non-PC version, Jillaroo ;))

What I was wondering was how an Australian name was chosen for a British aircraft?

Stanwell
29th Nov 2015, 14:28
I42,
Yes, I'd always wondered about that myself.
A couple of explanations offered on here so far cause me to go - 'hmm', but that's about it.

If the intention was to market it to Outback station owners, then that clearly failed.
I stand to be corrected, but they didn't sell out here at all.
Such a machine may have had a chance in the thirties but definitely not in the fifties.

As for 'Jackaroo' hoping to align itself with the very dubious success of the DHA Drover, well...
Admittedly, they had in common a De Havilland heritage, relatively simple rugged airframes and used the bulletproof Gipsy Majors for noise.
They were both marginal performers as well, so there may be something to it.

India Four Two
29th Nov 2015, 14:48
Such a machine may have had a chance in the thirties but definitely not in the fifties.

Of course then it would have been competing (probably unsuccessfully) against the Fox Moth.

I had wondered about the Drover connection too.

Perhaps they were hoping to tag on the coat tails of that other, very successful British aircraft with an Australian name! ;)

Fitter2
30th Nov 2015, 10:18
GGR155

G-APAP was at Upavon when I was stationed there. On occasions G-APAM would also be available. I will not disagree with earlier comments but AP definitely was the tug in residence in my time. I left Upavon in March 73. I have it in one of my logbooks too.

Hi GGR. That would by 1972 have been the Wyvern Army Gliding Club, which moved from Netheravon to Upavon in 1972, bringing PAP with them after RAFGSA Moonrakers closed down at the end of 1971. Ralph Jones would have dropped in to do repair assessment and air tests in PAM. By then he was mostly using it to commute Thruxton/Compton Abbas (which he ran with John Thorne). The 'commute' down the A30 was done almost irrespective of weather - don't ask me how I know...

Herod
30th Nov 2015, 17:12
Perhaps they were hoping to tag on the coat tails of that other, very successful British aircraft with an Australian name!

I didn't think the Blackburn Billabong was THAT successful.

Stationair8
30th Nov 2015, 21:02
I always thought that the Jackaroo was an Australian modification for the Tiger Moth, and the Thruxton was the Canadian modification was the tandem enclosed cockpit.

India Four Two
1st Dec 2015, 09:01
I didn't think the Blackburn Billabong was THAT successful. Herod,

Try the next letter of the alphabet! ;)

Stationair,

The Canadian Tiger Moth was only ever known as the DH 82c. Canopy, gear legs further forward, heater (?), electric starter (?) and an unspung tailwheel. A member of my gliding club rebuilt one with open cockpits. I suppose you could call it a DH 82ca:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/Mobile%20Uploads/D2C2CA7C-4409-41FD-BCFF-D68EB3167FDE_zpsafstsm1i.jpg

TCAS FAN
1st Dec 2015, 09:06
Stationair8

No mate, definitely a Thruxton Jackaroo, as the example below shows:

GINFO Search Results | Aircraft Register | Operations and Safety (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=AOIW)

Remember them well when most were flying with the Wiltshire School of Flying, based at Thruxton, a few mile up the road from where I lived.

PAXboy
1st Dec 2015, 11:29
Ah! 'Wiltshire School of Flying' that is where the Prizeman family said the original idea came from.

treadigraph
1st Dec 2015, 11:54
I forgot: there's a fair bit about the Jackaroo in Bransom and Birch's "THe Tiger Moth Story".

Herod
2nd Dec 2015, 15:10
India Four Two: I was after an alliterative name, but I've got you now (I think). Twin Jet?

India Four Two
2nd Dec 2015, 15:51
Twin Jet?

Affirm. :ok:

Herod
2nd Dec 2015, 16:54
It's amazing the way one thing leads to another. This is a bit off-topic, but following India Four Two's post, here's the gen from Wiki.

The word "Canberra" is popularly claimed to derive from the word Kambera or Canberry which is claimed to mean "meeting place" in the old Ngunnawal language, one of several Indigenous languages spoken in the district by Aboriginal people before European settlers arrived, although there is no hard evidence to support this. An alternative definition has been claimed by numerous local commentators over the years, including Ngunnawal Elder, Don Bell, whereby "Canberra" or "Nganbra/Nganbira" means "woman's breasts" and is the Indigenous name for the two mountains, Black Mountain and Mount Ainslie, which lie almost opposite each other. In the 1860s, the name was reported by Queanbeyan newspaper owner John Gale to be an interpretation of the name 'nganbra' or 'nganbira', meaning "hollow between a woman's breasts", and referring to the Sullivans Creek floodplain between Mount Ainslie and Black Mountain. An 1830s map of the region by Major Mitchell indeed does mark the Sullivan's Creek floodplain between these two mountains as "Nganbra". "Nganbra" or "Nganbira" could readily have been anglicised to the name "Canberry", as the locality soon become known to European settlers.

And there was me thinking it was named after Lord someone -or-other.

Stationair8
2nd Dec 2015, 20:49
In Australia, Canberra means land 100 square miles of stupidity surrounded by a million square miles of reality.

Back to the Tiger Moth, what was the enclosed cockpit version called then?

treadigraph
2nd Dec 2015, 22:35
[QUOTE=
Back to the Tiger Moth, what was the enclosed cockpit version called then?[/QUOTE]
DH-82c. The Canuck Moth...

clunckdriver
2nd Dec 2015, 23:27
The "C" model became known as the "Civilised" Moth as it had a conopy, brakes, tailwheel, and a heater, all things which made flying in our Canadian winter a lot nicer for the long sufering instructors and students!

regentbl
3rd Dec 2015, 11:00
I was a co_owner of AP in the 70's at Upavon. It was a dreadfull tug and in poor condition. I remember the plugs needed changing virtually daily and the misfiring engine was normal! It was a lot steadier than the tiger owing to the ailerons further outboard and the wider maingear, the result of the wider cabin. We removed the right hand seats to save weight but they had the harnesses attached which came in useful later when the directive came from the CAA to install shoulder harnesses on the left front seat. ( None were fitted!). I simply cut a hole in the leatherette seat back and bolted the liberated harness on. Voila and no paperwork. Around this time I flew G-APAM from Inkpen; a much nicer Jackaroo painted yellow/ red sunburst stripes and white leather seats and sharkskin grips on the sticks! I flew it for the only time 4 up to Redhill with CFI Ray Hunt. It performed remarkably well. Climb speed 60; cruise at 1900 RPM gave about 75 if I remember correctly. Without brakes on an undulating airfield in the wind caused a few minor disasters!

India Four Two
3rd Dec 2015, 15:38
It was a lot steadier than the tiger owing to the ailerons further outboard and the wider maingear, the result of the wider cabin.

So it had a wider-wingspan - obvious when I think about it and it is clear when I look at pictures of the fuel tank.

So did the Jackaroo have any changes to the tail or did it have a normal Tiger Moth tailplane and elevator?

I remember reading an article by Derek Piggott on test flying a T21 motor glider. The engine had been installed in a new centre section, to which the wings were bolted. He found that the aircraft was now unstable, because there was not enough tail surface area to balance the larger wing area.

Were there any issues with the Jackaroo's handling?

regentbl
3rd Dec 2015, 16:24
It was better in roll than the TigerMoth; felt more positive. No the tail was standard TigerMoth. Lifting the tail by the struts was no problem; clearly the weight/ C of G didn,t affect this with the extra "plug" cabin. I remember there was no mixture control; just mags and a throttle and no idle cutoff.

Lizard5T
23rd Sep 2016, 09:16
http://www.pprune.org/c:\users\user\pictures\crash2.jpg

They weren't that seriously injured. The instructor was walking wounded and the student recovered fine. Remarkable when you look at the pic.

DaveReidUK
23rd Sep 2016, 13:54
Thanks for the photo. It resolves the confusion (see earlier posts) over whether G-AIOW's accident was at Thruxton or Chilbolton - the photo is clearly taken at Thruxton.

Amos Keeto
23rd Sep 2016, 23:03
Ah, I have fond memories of my first ever flights. At the age of 12, my father took me for joy rides in Jackaroos G-AOIX in September 1961 and in G-AOEX in June 1962 with the Wiltshire School of Flying at Thruxton. I remember the orange canopy roof glazing and the noise and vibration as the canopy shook.
There is a great book about the experiences of flying a Jackaroo by Maurice Brett called "A Sunday Flyer" which I have and enjoyed it immensely.

Marchettiman
28th Sep 2016, 09:30
It was on 22nd July 1962, at the tender age of 17yrs 1 month that I reported to the Wiltshire School of Flying to begin my RAF Flying Scholarship, having ridden there on my NSU Quickly moped from Wimbledon. No messing about, I was shown my room in a very basic hut on the South side of the airfield, just by the black hangar which I soon discovered contained several Mosquitos and other aircraft in varying states of disrepair, and told to report to the club house by 3pm for a briefing. Late that afternoon I was strapped into Chipmunk G-AORL for my first effects of controls lesson with a very determined Polish instructor named Ruprecht. Over the next 12 days of complete immersion in the ways of the Jackaroo I completed the PPL course of 30 hours (18:40 dual and 11:20 solo) on G-AOEX (first solo), G-AOIR, G-AOIW,G-AOIX, G-APAI, G-APAP, and G-ANFY, spending evenings learning Air Law, Met and the mysteries of the Dalton computer. Taking my PPL Flying test on 5/8/62 with the larger than life CFI John Heaton, who had a few days earlier spun into a cornfield in a Tiger in full view of my fellow students, I seem to remember a heavy night of celebrations in the Jackaroo bar before launching off to home on the NSU the following morning.
As well as learning to fly, we cadets were used as cheap labour, ground handling the aircraft, refuelling, swinging props and making tea and coffee for the instructors. Over those action packed 13 days I flew with Hallmark, Lewis, Hadley and Ramsey-Smith, Ruprecht and Heaton, doing between 2 and 5 trips each day, with cross countries to long forgotten airfields such as Christchurch and Portsmouth. With no radio, brakes or starter the Jackaroo was hardly the most complicated training aircraft and seems to have done the job well; hearing what the instructors were saying to you through the Gosport tube intercom was probably the most challenging part of the training. Navigating the Airspace around Thruxton was no mean feat either, with RAF Andover, Boscombe Down, Chilbolton, Middle Wallop and Old Sarum all active military airfields with some pretty exotic machinery to see, avoid and marvel at.
I still fly from Thruxton and would love to hear from anyone who remembers "those days".
Sadlythough I never flew a Jackaroo again, the £4 17s. 6d an hour was beyond the means of a schoolboy with another year to go before A-levels.

76fan
28th Sep 2016, 10:40
... and following on from that ... I landed at Thruxton on the 12th August on my qualifying solo cross country in an Elstree London School of Flying Chipmunk G-ARGH as part of my ATC Flying Scholarship. It may well have been the first time that I had landed on grass and whoever I got to sign my required paperwork referred to my landing as a "wheelie". On requesting someone to hand-swing the Chipmunk I discovered that they were very reluctant because the Chipmunk had a metal prop! Eventually some brave soul did and I went on my way to my next landing at Luton before returning to Elstree. I seem to remember that someone else on my course failed to find Thruxton at all, and instead landed his Chipmunk at Boscombe. Having parked up he walked to the guardroom to report his arrival but at first they wouldn't believe him. The tight security(?) meant they then impounded the aircraft and I believe an Elstree instructor had to go down a few days later to retrieve it.
Similar to Marchettiman I had just done my A-levels at that time and two years later (and now earning about £9 per week) I could not afford the £6 15s per hour for a Chipmunk and tried instead to keep my PPL by paying £5 5s for a check-out in an Auster at Denham. If I remember correctly I couldn't hack the left hand stick and right hand overhead throttle and so I gave it up. Fortunately a couple of months later I was accepted for training as a helicopter pilot in the Royal Navy and so continued my flying in helicopters for the rest of my working life.

olympus
28th Sep 2016, 14:46
...qualifying solo cross country in an Elstree London School of Flying Chipmunk G-ARGH...

...did mine in G-ARGG!