PDA

View Full Version : Should I and if so when should I learn a language?

Az98
22nd Nov 2015, 16:30
I am in my last year of sixth form and I am not planning to go to university next year. Instead I am saving my all money I get and I am planning to study abroad for a year learning a second language. Firstly do you think it is worth me learning a second language? It is something that I really want to do, however, I don't want to waste my time and money if it is not worth doing. Right now I am around 25 hours into my PPL. If I was to go abroad next year it would be around October so I am fairly certain that I will have my PPL by then. Alternatively, I could complete all training needed to fly commercial and then go and learn a language. If I was to go to university it would be to learn a language but unfortunately it would be a 5 year course for me as I have not studied a language at A-Level. what do you think I should do? Thanks

Dick Whittingham
23rd Nov 2015, 16:02
You don't need a second language to be a pilot. English is the required language for commercial flying. That said, it is great fun to speak a second language at street level. Forget 5 year courses. Go and live abroad, get a job stacking supermarket shelves and immerse yourself in local life. Even better, get a job washing down aircraft at a flying school. Six months and you'll be almost a native.

Dick

paco
23rd Nov 2015, 19:08
"You don't need a second language to be a pilot."

You do if you want to speak to the customers :) Only 21% of the world speaks English outside of aviation, and there are companies where a second language is almost more important than a flying licence. Not sure which one to recommend, but Spanish would be a good start.

Phil

Sheba29
23rd Nov 2015, 23:09
Yes you should learn a language. Partly because it could be useful to you in you career; learning a language teaches you how to communicate more effectively, including in your own language, but mainly because going to learn a language is great fun. If I were you I would get yourself off to central America and throw yourself into the culture (and a few local chicas while you're there ;) ) If you do this you'll learn as much in 4 months as you would on a 4 year university course.

If and when you do your commercial training, your priorities will change, and getting a job will be all that's on your mind. Once you have a job, you can forget learning a language!