PDA

View Full Version : Retired JAA Captain requires FAA PPL .

kotakota
22nd Nov 2015, 11:35
I hope someone can help with some advice .
Long story short , 23,000 hours tt , holder of UK , Oman , Austrian , Malaysian etc ATPLs , all now expired . Have been flying with a Kenya PPL since 65th birthday last year , still using it , mainly C.206 flying .
Would now like to acquire an FAA PPL so that I can fly a friends private N reg aircraft ( mostly in Africa ) .
Can anybody tell me how to go about this ie will I Get any ' credit ' for previous experience , current Kenya PPL etc etc . Will I have to go to the US to sort it all out ?
Thanks

Pace
22nd Nov 2015, 11:52
not an answer to your own question :E I hold a current FAA ATP MULTI and current type rating.
I have just sorted my CAA SEP AFTER A 3 years plus lapse to convert to EASA to do some private Single piston flying. i have two deals on a UK reg Cirrus and an FAA reg Cirrus.
i don't have an FAA SEP and would want to go out of the UK
What would i need to do which doesn't involve a trip to the USA

Pace ( NB sorry to crash your party )))

winkwink
22nd Nov 2015, 12:53
Peter, contact www.rnav.us run by Tom Hugheson and he can sort out an FAA ASEL Private for you.

ahwalk01
22nd Nov 2015, 16:52
Without the need for another exam, a piggyback license is possible, though slightly lengthy.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

custardpsc
4th Dec 2015, 08:45
three routes are possible

1. If you have any ICAO compliant licence that is valid ( ie in date, even if you don't meet currency rules) you can get a 61.75 FAA private certificate. You will have to go through the verification process - I'd suggest using your UK licence, (converting it to easa while you are at it which can be done on the uk caa website) because the UK caa are moderately efficient at replying to foreign requests (eg FAA) . You will need to appear in person to a DPE ( eg the guy mentioned above in UK), or take a trip to a US FSDO. You will need a valid medical - you have the option of verifying and using your medical that matches the licence you are verifying or getting a new FAA 3rd class medical. ( and FAA 3rd class is probably less arduous and more generous with issues than most) You will need a flight review (BFR) before being able to excercise the priviledges of your certificate.

2. You can get a FAA PPL by following the same route as any student. Written, checkride, etc. You will meet the hours requirements. You will not need an endorsement for the check ride, and thus theoretically don't need TSA. Lots of people will tell you otherwise, but that is the case. This is more work but you get a stand alone licence. I have done this.

3. Fly day vfr in an N reg using a licence applicable to the country you are in if that country allows it ( eg the UK)

Pace - that might work for you. At least until april 2016.

awqward
4th Dec 2015, 16:28
three routes are possible

1. If you have any ICAO compliant licence that is valid ( ie in date, even if you don't meet currency rules) you can get a 61.75 FAA private certificate. You will have to go through the verification process - I'd suggest using your UK licence, (converting it to easa while you are at it which can be done on the uk caa website) because the UK caa are moderately efficient at replying to foreign requests (eg FAA) . You will need to appear in person to a DPE ( eg the guy mentioned above in UK), or take a trip to a US FSDO. You will need a valid medical - you have the option of verifying and using your medical that matches the licence you are verifying or getting a new FAA 3rd class medical. ( and FAA 3rd class is probably less arduous and more generous with issues than most) You will need a flight review (BFR) before being able to excercise the priviledges of your certificate.

2. You can get a FAA PPL by following the same route as any student. Written, checkride, etc. You will meet the hours requirements. You will not need an endorsement for the check ride, and thus theoretically don't need TSA. Lots of people will tell you otherwise, but that is the case. This is more work but you get a stand alone licence. I have done this.

3. Fly day vfr in an N reg using a licence applicable to the country you are in if that country allows it ( eg the UK)

Pace - that might work for you. At least until april 2016.

If you do indeed contact Tom Hughston I am sure he would vigorously disagree with your #2 above.... To get a standalone FAA "initial" certificate, or an Instrument qualification you MUST get TSA approval unless you are a US citizen....(www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Flight-Instructor-Resources/AOPAs-Guide-to-TSAs-Alien-Flight-Training-Citizenship-Validation-Rule/Aliens-and-Non-U-S-Citizens-Seeking-Flight-Training (http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Flight-Instructor-Resources/AOPAs-Guide-to-TSAs-Alien-Flight-Training-Citizenship-Validation-Rule/Aliens-and-Non-U-S-Citizens-Seeking-Flight-Training) )....secondly you must be endorsed by an FAA CFI who must have given you at least 3 hours instruction in the 2 calendar months prior to the checkride.... FAR Part 61.109(a)(4) refers...

Zed-Air
15th Dec 2015, 01:08
Before I became FAA licenced, I flew American-registered aircraft all around the world - sales-demonstrations and air shows - the requirement being that I was licenced in the state and/or territory in which I was operating. That I was licenced in 29 countries helped -- but it was a very clear provision of all of the applicable regs -- and, most importantly, our insurers were cool with our compliance.: