PDA

View Full Version : Overbuying MRTT Aircraft Saves the Tax Payer a Fortune....

LGW Vulture
19th Nov 2015, 11:39
....by not having to buy a dedicated VVIP transport aircraft. :D :rolleyes:

I'm surprised this hasn't broken through onto here yet!

David Cameron to get own plane for official trips - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-34864328)

saddest aviator
19th Nov 2015, 11:44
The very idea that an A330 will only cost 2k an hour to run is patently absurd!!!
The spin doctors at work me thinks:D

rlsbutler
20th Nov 2015, 22:03
I do not understand the modern RAF pay scales and I have no experience of the Voyager. However I have easily googled RAF/MOD pages that detail both subjects.

One indicates that in pax mode the Voyager has two front crew and eight rear crew.

Another tabulates service pay for 2012. Not being sure how representative this would be, I judge from that table that the front crew might be at level 33 on the Professional Aviator Pay Spine and that the rear crew might typically be at level 16. Calculating on each crewman working a 200-day year, that suggests over £3000 per day just to man the aircraft.

To our resident experts does that seem realistic ? I did see the hint that the aircraft may be flown by civilian crews for some of their lives.

Still, working with my figures: if Downing Street plans a day trip to Berlin and back that might not take all of two hours. It will take all of the remaining £1000 to pay for fuel, ground servicing and the PPI rent of the aircraft – and then some.

Amadis of Gaul
20th Nov 2015, 23:46
It seems to me our UK brethren have traditionally balked at the idea of the PM having a dedicated aircraft. I agree that the 2,000 quid/hr figure is ridiculous, but, times being what they are, is it not reasonable that there should be a specific aircraft equipped for the purpose?

Dr Jekyll
21st Nov 2015, 07:51
I suspect the £2000/hour is based on direct operating costs on the grounds that the aircraft is in service anyway. No real saving, just an accounting measure.

Daifly
23rd Nov 2015, 16:43
Really basic maths (and I'll happily be corrected) would tell you that an A330-200 burns about £3,000 of Jet-A1 an hour... So, DOCs might be a distorted argument.

That said, the Head of State and Prime Minister should have a HOS aircraft to represent our country abroad, so if it cost £20,000 an hour it would still be worth the money. We spend money on far more ridiculous things.