PDA

View Full Version : CLASS 1 FAILED DUE TO HEARING

EIPCW
17th Nov 2015, 11:42
Hi,
As the title says, I've been refused a renewal of my medical due to my right ear dropping outside the limits to pass. Just wondering what advice people have based on experience? Is this the end of the road for me or is it possible to continue?

I did initially pass my class 1 back in 2007. I was border line back then for passing on my hearing. My medical expired back in 2010 and was looking to get back in the air.

Obviously this is a big set back for me so any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

jayteeto
17th Nov 2015, 14:42
Is it UK? Talk to the medical department at Gatwick. At my last medical, I was told that a company examiner could sim/fly with me and sign a waiver to say that they were happy for me to fly.

EIPCW
17th Nov 2015, 18:18
Is it UK? Talk to the medical department at Gatwick. At my last medical, I was told that a company examiner could sim/fly with me and sign a waiver to say that they were happy for me to fly.

Hi jayteeto, it is CAA, however it was through an IAA examiner here in Ireland.

Talkdownman
17th Nov 2015, 19:48
I went outside Class 1 audiogram limits for professional licences, and was asked by CAA-MED to undertake Functional Hearing Assessments. FHA for ATC had to be done by a 'watch manager' of all people, and for CPL a Cockpit Speech Discrimination Test carried out by an FE. Latter said "well you already wear a hearing aid". "No I don't" said I. "Yes you do", he said, "you wear a headset, just turn up the volume". All rubber stamped, no further action, non-event. I'm only deaf at home now...

parabellum
17th Nov 2015, 22:56
You have probably done all these things many times but softening and syringing the wax out of each ear got me through at the second attempt!