PDA

View Full Version : airlines response to Paris attacks ?

TT738
15th Nov 2015, 04:39
obviously, less people will fly in the short term, but how will it effect airlines in mid term ?

With Xmas holidays only a few weeks away, there are probably going to be minimal cancellations, as majority travel on non-refundable fares these days.

So how will airlines handle flights to Europe/USA etc. ?

Obviously if an airline has more than 1 flight a day, they can cut flights, but you can't send out 1/2 a 747-400 on a long haul route.

Perhaps longer minimum connecting time at airports especially in places like LAX.

Thoughts ?

Capt Fathom
15th Nov 2015, 04:57
you can't send out 1/2 a 747-400 on a long haul route
Well you can! The hard part is deciding which half to send! :E

wanabee777
15th Nov 2015, 05:05
You can still make a profit if the belly is full of freight.

IsDon
15th Nov 2015, 05:26
Well you can! The hard part is deciding which half to send! :E

Depends whether you want to turn right or left.

ZFT
15th Nov 2015, 05:40
obviously, less people will fly in the short term, but how will it effect airlines in mid term ?

Sorry, why is it obvious?

andrasz
15th Nov 2015, 06:14
You can still make a profit if the belly is full of freight.

No you cannot. The premium-paying freight with guaranteed shipment times goes on dedicated freighters. Longhaul generic belly cargo which is loaded on pax flights is usually low yield, US$2.5-3 per kg depending on direction/destination. You need about 150-200 kg of freight to match average passenger revenues, you need a 74F full on both decks to make money on that. Rule #1 of passenger route economics: Never rely on cargo to make up for that difference to break even - it never will. If passenger loads make money, freight is a nice direct add-on to the bottom line.

wanabee777
15th Nov 2015, 06:28
Guess I was basing my comment on the triple 7 rather than the 74.

wishiwasupthere
15th Nov 2015, 06:41
Sorry, why is it obvious?

Because BNA320.....sorry TT738 says so, obviously.

morno
15th Nov 2015, 06:54
BNE320.... sorry TT738,
What has the Paris attacks got to do with aviation? I don't see why pax numbers to Europe will drop much, if at all.

morno

CaptCloudbuster
16th Nov 2015, 01:42
I was planning a trip to Italy / Vatican this coming March. I've changed my plans now specifically due to the rise of Islamofascism in Europe. Watch this space as the fallout from the unprecedented movement of refugees into Germany from Syria takes hold in the coming years. Japan gets my tourist dollar instead....

I can't be the only one?

Icarus2001
16th Nov 2015, 02:17
I doubt it will effect aviation. It may however affect aviation, short term dip in load factor.

Remember those people with leave booked will just fly somewhere else for a holiday. You know somewhere "safe" like New York, Istanbul, Sydney, Madrid, Mumbai, Oklahoma, London...

Japan huh. Take a gas mask for the train rides.

c100driver
16th Nov 2015, 03:52
The premium-paying freight with guaranteed shipment times goes on dedicated freighters. Longhaul generic belly cargo which is loaded on pax flights is usually low yield, US$2.5-3 per kg depending on direction/destination.

That maybe the case for the B747 but it is not for the T7.

On daily destinations using the T7 the cargo hold space/weight is premium pricing where there is demand for perishable produce.

Big Balls
16th Nov 2015, 04:26
airlines response to Paris attacks ?

Minimal!

Really, who gives a sh!t!! This is a pilot forum not an airline management forum!

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

AEROMEDIC
17th Nov 2015, 07:14
I was planning a trip to Italy / Vatican this coming March. I've changed my plans now specifically due to the rise of Islamofascism in Europe. Watch this space as the fallout from the unprecedented movement of refugees into Germany from Syria takes hold in the coming years. Japan gets my tourist dollar instead....

I can't be the only one?

No, you are not.

I love Europe, but will not travel there for quite a while.

I've moved to do my travelling Asia-Pacific and if THAT becomes compromised, then just around OZ will do.

chuboy
17th Nov 2015, 22:49
Where was BNEA320's similar thread when terrorists blew up an aircraft and murdered 200+ Russian tourists to Egypt? :yuk:

TT738
17th Nov 2015, 23:26
little balls.

If flights are cut back less pilots/airline staff in general are needed & less jobs going.

Hopefully it won't happen.

Heard that some cancellations to Europe happening, but as most tickets these days are non-refundable, people don't want to lose airfares.

Guess a lot depends on how this all pans out over next few weeks/months.

DJ737
18th Nov 2015, 00:14
How many people stopped travelling to London/UK during the IRA bombing campaign of the 70's & 80's? I'm guessing none, and I can't recall letters in the papers from people wanting Australia's borders closed to Catholics back then either. :rolleyes:

jaysonmoore892
19th Nov 2015, 14:57
I can't still get over Paris attack tragedy. I just hope this won't affect holidaymakers to Europe. For certain till at the moment, a lot of travelers have change their pre-arranged vacation plans to Paris or to its adjacent places. :sad:

MakeItHappenCaptain
27th Nov 2015, 16:48
Well you can! The hard part is deciding which half to send!

Well that's just obvious! The front half with the pilots! Yes..very bored...:}