PDA

View Full Version : DJ and DPS

catseye
13th Nov 2015, 23:49
Well this is an interesting approach.......

VAAC/BOM (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDD65305.shtml) said gap to operate in this afternoon and evening.

Winds model said ESE this afternoon at MSL and 500 hpa

Travel Alerts | Virgin Australia (http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/bookings/flight-status/travel-alerts/)

:rolleyes:

Snakecharma
14th Nov 2015, 00:15
What's your point?

Company does risk assessment and says no, not flying, sounds like a sensible approach to me.

Bit of a Bugger for those stuck in Bali but that is life I guess.

BPA
14th Nov 2015, 01:27
The VAAC/BOM said the same last week and both VA and JQ launched flights and then turned them around due to the forecast changing.

wheels_down
14th Nov 2015, 03:27
Turning back multiple 787s everytime would probaly send them broke.

Don't blame them.

juzanuthapilot
14th Nov 2015, 12:05
Furthermore, a diversion to Surabaya would cause bigger issues in their recovery plan. At least by not flying, they isolate all their problems to Bali and to a lesser extent, Australian ports.

ad-astra
14th Nov 2015, 18:17
Catseye,

I am not sure if you are serious or if you are having a dig in some way but perhaps you might like to plot the southern boundary of that plume or even just open Google Map and have a look at how big that "gap" of yours is for us to operate into DPS.

I have it around Ubud.
30km away from WADD from SL to Fl140

Tell me again the degree of accuracy that the VAAC/BOM guarantee?
Tell me again what VAI volcanic ash avoidance policy is?

Perhaps a flight up with Lion Air and a pleasant little 30 minute ride in a tuk tuk up to see the Ubud rice paddies will satisfy your desires to see volcanic ash.

Meanwhile I think I will stay in Australia.

Selamat Pagi

Octane
14th Nov 2015, 19:54
Chatted to a Garuda Captain at Tulla Saturday morning. He was on his way to Denpasar. I asked about the ash cloud, "no problem" he replied with a smile!??

Snakecharma
14th Nov 2015, 20:24
Says it all really doesn't it!

training wheels
15th Nov 2015, 03:45
Jetstar from Perth and Adelaide are inbound in to DPS as we speak. There have also been departures from Lombok (the island where Mt Rinjani exists) so perhaps there's a lull in vocanic ash activity at the moment.

MakeItHappenCaptain
27th Nov 2015, 16:56
Sure P&O cruises would get some takers if the Pacific Dawn just happened to drift by. (Or maybe some ingenious local fishermen could fit a few in with the other welfare seekers?)

Saw a similar thing happen on Palm Island a few years back. All flights down due to weather (Except for a "brave" sky coloured liquid named operator who was able to get a VFR C206 in where IFR Titans and other VFR operators were unable to.:rolleyes:)

Only problem was when a ferry turned up to take the 50+ stranded people back to TL, they brought a heap of Red Rooster for catering.

Remember how I mentioned weather was a factor?

Well, greasy chicken and three metre swells don't go too wellon a boat...:D:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk: