PDA

View Full Version : The life of a humble UK Charter Pilot- any thoughts?

gimbley
19th Jun 2002, 16:55
Well guys,

I'd really appreciate some advice and opinions here from those of you that can spare the time. At the moment I'm flying props for a scheduled airline and while it's good fun I'd like to move on to probably jet charter work when the upturn comes.

Basically, I'm looking for views on what life is like amongst the holiday charter operators MYT, Air2000, Monarch etc. Trouble is, a lot of the guys I fly with paint the picture of constant night flying/roster disruptions/time away from home/broken marriages etc. Saying that, most of these guys have never done charter work and so are only going on their own impressions.

Anyway, if anyone can throw some thoughts, opinions this way it'd be much appreciated- thanks..

expedite_climb
20th Jun 2002, 17:52
Probably more hours than what you are doing now, but less days away. Max 13 trips a month in the summer. Almost always a 2 sector day back to home base. Normally no more than 4 night flights a month.

Winter - 3 or 4 trips a month, very few night flights, lots of contactable, unrostered and standby days...

As for roster disruption - depends - I have had very little this summer so far @ LGW.

Dont expect people to stop moaning though !!

All in all I'm quite happy.

Pilot Pete
20th Jun 2002, 21:50
Same as Expedite......but we are with the same airline! In two summer seasons I have never spent a night (or day) in a hotel whilst on flying duty, only when doing CRM, SEP's or Groundschool. As for broken marriages.....well, the amount of time I'm 'under her feet' during the winter is bound to take it's toll at some point!!:D

The flying is great, with enough time in the cruise to enjoy dinner (the quality varies from one carrier to another), as do the number of hours worked depending on Fight Time Duty Agreements within each airline. It would also appear that there is a vast difference in how you are treated as pilots within the different charter companies (look at (re)action since Sept. 11th).

I have a friend in BR (BACE) who spends many more nights away than me, who does many more days a month and many more sectors per day than me and who earns less, so I don't think it's really that bad. Mind you, he gets better concessions................... It certainly suits me with kids though.

PP

fireflybob
20th Jun 2002, 22:03
Well as with many things in life there's a down side and an up side.

It's a while since I have flown with the charter airlines and yes there is always the night flying/disruption factor etc.

BUT if you like flying it's VERY stimulating and challenging! Don't let anyone kid you that it's straightforward! You will be presented with a myriad of challenges, many of which have little to do with flying but much to do with CAPTAINCY!

Charter flying to all the usual destinations teaches you to think on you feet and make decisions whilst down the route.

If you want something that is going to stretch you and give you the ability to do almost any job in commercial aviation then go with the charter airlines.

Yes the "******ation" factor can be high but the job satisfaction can also be very high when you have to keep it altogether when you are on your third night flight towards the end of the season when you have a new FO with you going into CFU in the middle of a thunderstorm!

If you want a quiet life in the comfort zone then stay where you are but if you want to learn something new go to the charter companies. Enjoy!!

Ed's babe
21st Jun 2002, 13:14
I'm fed up with charter work for the following reasons:

Long, long nights to the Canaries, Turkey and Cyprus ( 2 nights on the trot).

Lots of positioning by taxi,bus,jumpseat or scheduled.

Crap pay and allowances.

Disruptive rosters - everything hinges around what the parent travel company want.

Some people like it, but like many I'm just waiting around for something better.
:( :( :(

gimbley
24th Jun 2002, 16:51
Thanks for the info and opinions- very helpful and good to get a balance of views after the negative comments of (most of) my work mates. I think charter flying is something that would suit me, especially at my current stage in life being single with no ties, so demand for pilots allowing I'd still like to give it a go when the upturn comes.

"Ed's babe", if you read this thread again, I'd be grateful if you post what you're holding out for as "something better". Not trying to provoke a reaction, just genuinely curious.

Thanks guys

Mister Slot
25th Jun 2002, 02:30
gimbley It depends heavily on which particular airline one flies for. Terms and conditions etc. vary extensively.

At my outfit things are, for the most part, pretty good. Pay in the upper quartile, excellent pension scheme, good loss of licence and PHI are amongst the many benefits that we "enjoy". Having said that, it could and should be improved.

Currently the union and management tend to work together (as much as possible) in a proactive manner. Consequently we now have probably the best scheduling agreement in the charter market. With the notable exception of tech. problems and ATC strikes/delays etc., almost all roster changes have to be mutually agreed. Therefore a high degree of stability is being achieved.

Sure, there are long night flights (predominantly during the summer season) but if rostered intelligently using a robust scheduling agreement, the pain can be kept to a minimum, and yes, this is not always the case!!

Operationally fireflybob has pretty much summed it up. So, if you’re fortunate enough to find yourself with a choice (it does happen from time to time – honestly) choose your airline wisely and you’ll have a good time.

Clio Toros
25th Jun 2002, 15:37
So, you are offered a starting salary of £40k and the chance of command within 1-3 yrs at 60k. Both plus allowances, insurances, private medical, pension etc etc. Worth coming to work for 13-14 times a month in the busy season? Might even be worth staying up the odd night! Where else are you going to get this sort of deal?