PDA

View Full Version : Trolley Hydraulic Servicing Mk 2B

Pengellybob
12th Nov 2015, 14:00
Can anybody shed any light on this 2 cylinder petrol hand start unit,
The pump is missing and we would like to know what it should look like.
Who used this unit RAF or RN?
What era?
Who manufactured it?
We have the item in the archives at Brooklands Museum
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzMe-Iwu33fLLVE0RUZtU3EzaFk&usp=sharing

Ted Angus
13th Nov 2015, 15:13
Certainly in service from the late 1950s - they were used by RAF & RN, used on numerous smaller aircraft; The pump would be the aircraft pump relevant to the type being serviced. Wessex and Hawk spring to mind;

longer ron
16th Nov 2015, 05:54
Yes - bit of a black art getting these rigs started - one had to be aware that there was a locking lever to lock the carb at idle,they usually then started ok.
You then had to keep your teeth clear of the starting handle if it slipped off the 'dog'.
I have seen some fitted with an aircraft hyd pump but also seen some with a cheaper looking non aircraft pump unit.

I believe there is a complete example in the Apprentice Museum at RAF Halton !

rgds LR

Pengellybob
17th Nov 2015, 20:19
Thank you for the useful info.. A good pointer as I know someone ex RN who used to maintain Wessex. I will ask him next time I see him.
We also have some some connections with RAF Halton, I was there last year to collect our Bleriot replica which we had lent them. I will see what I can find out.
Gum shield in place before any starting attempts.
Cheers

relight9
25th Nov 2015, 15:11
Who used this unit RAF or RN?
As far as i'm aware it was RAF, though with standard couplings on the receiving aircraft, i can't imagine the RN not using them too, just never seen them..
What era?
Our four cylinder rig has servicing dates from 1965 through to 1972...
Who manufactured it?
The engine on our four pot is a Coventry Victor, i don't know if there's an a different makers plate but will happily take a look if you like?

kaitakbowler
25th Nov 2015, 16:41
Looks like a Coventry Victor, were also used to power "cherry picker" hydraulics, ISTR, good wheeze was to wait until someone was up high in the basket then cut the engine and earth the magneto so the upper start button was useless.

PM

Xtiff
26th Nov 2015, 09:05
The "2B Rig" was used on the Scimitar during my time on the aircraft, 57-61.
Interesting for such a small rig as the Scimitar hydraulics ran at 4000psi