PDA

View Full Version : Another 109 Crash - 5 Dead

qmark
19th Jun 2002, 16:50
Just saw a line that another Greek 109 (Hems ?) Crashed yesterday - 5 dead, would be gratefull for any more info.

Not good for the 109 world - AGAIN !!!!:(

http://www.hri.org/news/greek/mpa/2002/02-06-17.mpa.html#03

Heliport
19th Jun 2002, 18:32
I think it was on Monday 17th

EMS helicopter carrying a patient from the island of Anafi in the Aegean (about 100 miles south east of Athens) went down before dawn near the base of a towering mountain. The reason for the crash was not immediately known.

Besides the patient, two pilots and two medical personnel were on the helicopter. Many small islands around Greece depend on the helicopter ambulances, which normally ferry patients to hospitals in Athens and other cities.

It was the second fatal crash in Greece's medical helicopter fleet in two years.

Condolences to family and friends of the crew and passengers. :(

ppheli
20th Jun 2002, 04:37
Heliport. You are assuming that the press report is correct, just cutting and pasting it...

I have also heard that the impact was very close to the _top_ of the mountain rather than the base of the mountain in the report above.

(this has been edited at the request by email of Rotorbike and others)

Rotorbike
20th Jun 2002, 06:35
Whatever the reason for the accident I lost a friend on Monday.

I had the pleasure to meet and work alongside Stephen during his time at Bravo Helicopters, next door to the Robinson factory in Torrance, CA. Many of you may have spoken or flown with him during that time too.

A charming Swiss guy, who later went to work at Papillon Helicopters, Grand Canyon before heading to Greece.

What makes this worse is he's survived by Trada whom is in her fifth month of pregnancy.

My thoughts are with her and his family at this tragic time.

Stephan Meyer, Rest In Peace.

Thomas coupling
20th Jun 2002, 08:41
ppheli: I genuinely don't believe you meant what you said! It's just come out all wrong!

I suggest you amend it at your earliest convenience..........

Sincere condolences to all involved in another tragic and turbulent year for helos.

Heliport
20th Jun 2002, 09:26
ppheli
Thank you for editing your post. I'm not assuming anything. There's surprisingly little media coverage. As you rightly say, I did a cut and paste of what I could find.

Our sympathy to the families and friends of all who lost their lives, and especially to the loved ones of a fellow pilot. :(

qmark
20th Jun 2002, 17:54
Sincere condolences to all involved - but can't help thinking about all the 109's that have crashed over the last few years - still flying with a scissor link that can be fit backwards - 2 have crashed in the UK (operated by Sloanes) and whilst Augusta have made changes to the maintenance manual the part remains the same !!!
The first Greek one crashed into the sea - so no confirmed outcome
Does anyone out there care that this problem MAY still exist
I don't wish to begin false or dramatic rumors but keep reading about 109 crashes and no change to this crucial part is not good for the sole.
Interested what anyone else may think ?

BlenderPilot
20th Jun 2002, 19:59
Reply moved to the new thread, for the reasons explained below.

Heliport
20th Jun 2002, 20:25
qmark
Hope you don't mind, but I've started a new thread with your question about the A109. This thread now contains condolences and tributes to the pilot who was killed, so I thought it was better to separate your general question about A109s from posts about this particular accident.

BlenderPilot
I've moved your reply for the same reason.

Please post any messages of condolence on this thread and post general comments on the new thread at A109 crashes - Why? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57184&referrerid=30158)

qmark
20th Jun 2002, 21:18
Thanks Heliport - good idea

My Heartfelt feelings go with the pilot and all the crew

Buitenzorg
20th Jun 2002, 23:35
Stephan flew with me once when I was a pre-solo student. The thing I remember about that flight was Stephan’s obvious and contagious happiness at flying. He was an excellent instructor.

Later, at Papillon, his help and advice kept me from making all the usual beginner’s mistakes. His love for flying was as unquestionable as his professionalism.

In a trailer in Arizona or in a beach cottage in the Caribbean, Stephan and Trada brought each other happiness. My thoughts are with her and Stephan’s family.

To all who died trying to save lives, rest in peace. You will be remembered.