PDA

View Full Version : The last Andover crashed at South Sudan.

JanetFlight
11th Nov 2015, 20:27
Hi...it seems the last flying bird of this series, just crashed in a WFP mission at S.Sudan.
Fortunately all occupants escaped without serious injuries, but its another sad end for a great english flyin'model. :(

Accident: West Wind A748 at Malakal on Nov 10th 2015, forced landing shortly after takeoff (http://avherald.com/h?article=48f30d22&opt=0)

Perrin
11th Nov 2015, 20:48
Worked on them with the short lived Chieftain Airways in Glasgow. Sorry as it was nice rugged type.

ATB to them who care

JW411
12th Nov 2015, 16:13
Not an Avro 748 but an Avro 780 (which started off as XS606 I believe).

surely not
12th Nov 2015, 17:05
7 cylinder man you missed out the mandatory weather report in addition to the FR24.

Very sad that this fine old girl has come to grief. Are there any stuck away in museums that people know of?

munster
12th Nov 2015, 17:08
There's one at Cosford.

bvcu
12th Nov 2015, 18:24
Sad to see the end of XS606. Flown by many trainee test pilots on ETPS over many years. Had a few rides in her , duty free runs to channel islands . Also carrying all our kit to Karup for a hunter detachment. Amazed she survived so long as ETPS retired her due to no spares available anywhere anymore. But thats africa.........

DaveReidUK
12th Nov 2015, 18:33
Not an Avro 748 but an Avro 780

Yes, as the Avherald link points out. But still an ICAO A748 for ATC purposes, they don't care if it can kneel. :O

which started off as XS606 I believeIndeed so. Served with 52 Squadron FEAF, RAE and Qinetiq/ETPS

JammedStab
12th Nov 2015, 22:33
Rather surprised that the accident has not become a topic by the resident PPRUNE 'experts' to establish why it crashed. :rolleyes:

Well, seeing as you asked.....accidentally putting fuel in the water methanol tanks can lead to an extremely high TGT value on both engines on a wet takeoff followed by a quick landing. A sharp person doing the walkaround can save the day though. Day saved for several aircraft my outfit over the years.

keri
13th Nov 2015, 10:47
I remember a strange looking Andover with peculiar looking antennae used to calibrate the ILS at various RAF airfields I was stationed at in the '80's.

rog747
13th Nov 2015, 11:52
fuel was put in de-min water tanks of a German BAC 1-11 500 in the 70's

it landed on an autobahn PDQ after take off - sadly not all got out of that one but many did

Preon
13th Nov 2015, 12:16
There's an example in the RNZAF collection Wigram.

What happened to the Open Skies aircraft displayed at Fairford a few years ago?

DaveReidUK
13th Nov 2015, 13:13
What happened to the Open Skies aircraft displayed at Fairford a few years ago?

Scrapped at Boscombe Down a couple of years back.

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/000/099/099302.jpg

Genghis the Engineer
13th Nov 2015, 13:46
Oh gosh, XS606.

Back end of 1993 I started at Boscombe Down as a Flight Test Engineer. Just after Christmas I was given my first task, paired up with a new ETPS graduate Test Pilot - which was evaluating some "keep her going safely and cheaply" engine mods on the Andover, with XS606 as the inevitable airframe. My logbook shows just over 12 hours on her.

She was a good bulletproof airframe, who'd done a lot of good service over the years. Sorry to see her go, but very glad without loss of life.

G

Cantiflas
13th Nov 2015, 15:44
Worked on them at Woodford in the mid 60's.Kneeling u/c was a good concept I thought-apart from the occasional bouts of arthritis!
Sorry to see the last one go.Happy crew survived.

munster
13th Nov 2015, 17:55
Kari,
The ones you recall were the 115 Sqn ones. I worked on them for Huntings at EMA many moons agohttps://www.google.co.uk/search?q=115+andover+sqn+ema&client=safari&hl=en-gb&biw=1024&bih=672&prmd=mniv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoA2oVChMIlITF9YiOyQIVhG0UCh3TqwOf#imgrc=A97rXvOK WjxANM%3A

JammedStab
13th Nov 2015, 20:19
fuel was put in de-min water tanks of a German BAC 1-11 500 in the 70's

it landed on an autobahn PDQ after take off - sadly not all got out of that one but many did

ASN Aircraft accident BAC One-Eleven 515FB D-ALAR Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel Airport (HAM) (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19710906-0)

A BAC One-Eleven 515FB passenger jet was destroyed in a forced landing on a road, shortly after takeoff from Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel Airport (HAM), Germany.
One crew member and 21 passengers were killed. Five crew members and 94 passengers survived the accident.
Paninternational flight DR112 was a charter flight from Hannover, Germany to Málaga, Spain with an intermediate stop at Hamburg. Fifty-eight passengers boarded the flight in Hannover.
Five water canisters were offloaded from the cargo hold. The canisters contained demineralized water and were used to fill the water tank near the engines. For better engine performance during takeoff the water is injected into the fuel-air mixture to cool the combustion chambers of the engine, allowing for greater compression ratios.
When the airplane was prepared for the flight to Málaga, taxi clearance was given to runway 34. Take-off was commenced at 18:18. Reaching a speed of V1 during takeoff, the crew noted a rise in engine temperature. Takeoff was continued. The left hand engine then failed, immediately followed by the right hand engine. The airplane was climbing through an altitude of 300 m and the pilot pushed the nose down to gain speed. The engines could not be restarted, forcing the crew to carry out an emergency landing on the Hamburg-Kiel Autobahn E45.
Due to the high sink rate the jet touched down hard. The left hand main gear collapsed. The crew applied brakes to keep the airplane on the road. It then struck concrete pillars of an overpass, causing the flight deck to separate. The fuselage skidded and broke up, bursting into flames.
The female first officer of the flight survived the accident. She later died in a Cessna Citation accident on May 31, 1987.

Investigation revealed that two of the five water canisters actually contained kerosene. The canisters had been misplaced at Düsseldorf the night before and loaded on board the plane.

DaveReidUK
13th Nov 2015, 21:06
Is William of Occam away on holiday ?

LOMCEVAK
14th Nov 2015, 08:37
Following on from JammedStab's comments regarding putting fuel in the watermeth tanks, I know of one incident in XS606 of putting demineralised water in one of the water meth tanks (demin water was used by Harriers that were operated from the same base). On a short take-off from a grass strip the crew had full wet power until just after unstick at which point the watermeth that was in the lines to one engine ran out and demin water was injected into the engines resulting in a serious loss of thrust. Luckily, they were light weight and flew away safely. I am not speculating that this could have happened in this accident because the incident to which I refer was caused by a local procedure of keeping water meth in barrels with demin water labels on (don't ask!).

The last flight of this aircraft as XS606 was on 19 December 2012, 20 minutes from Boscombe Down to Bournemouth. Many happy hours in it.

ACW342
14th Nov 2015, 15:50
Kari - Yes, the Andovers operated by 115 Sqn. on behalf of the Support Command Flight Checking Unit. Some of you might have noticed the pyramidal shapes on the bottom of the fuselage of those aircraft fitted with the Litton Inertially Referenced Flight Inspection System. Shame that GPS was just around the future corner, IRFIS was short lived afair.

I have a beautiful line drawing of XS 603 "Guy Degas" on my wall, signed by Guy Degas himself and the majority of Eleventy Five aircrew.

I was fortunate enough to have been posted to SCFCU as the Ops assistant in '84 and worked under the tutelage of Arthur Small. Those of you who remember him will, i'm sure, remember his greeting to all, no matter the rank, high or low, of "You F&3j1ng Wanchors!" especially when someone from higher echelon rang to find out why yet another task was way behind. Thanks go to Dr. Oliver Tappins for the translation of the above to the classic latin - Effetuens Irrimator Es which was transcribed onto his farewell gift on his retirement.