PDA

View Full Version : Flight Review and Instrument Proficiency Check

Transsonic2000
11th Nov 2015, 13:08
Hi all,

as stated above I'm in need of a flight review and an IPC. Haven't been flying for a couple of years and now I need to get current again.

I was wondering if there is anybody here on the forum who happens to know a FAA CFII in Europe (or Germany) who can help me get current again. Alternatively I was thinking about traveling to the States, but I guess considering the cost for the trip and accommodation it would be more expensive than doing it here in Europe.

Another question, I hold an FAA CPL/IR (ASEL & AMEL) if I do the flight review and IPC in a ASEL would I be current in AMEL as well?

Dhu
12th Nov 2015, 01:08
Yes, you would be current in both.

D

B2N2
12th Nov 2015, 12:47
I hold an FAA CPL/IR (ASEL & AMEL) if I do the flight review and IPC in a ASEL would I be current in AMEL as well

Nothing personal but yes, unfortunately you would be.
Ideally you should do your IPC/FR in the highest category you are rated in, not the lowest.
But in my time as a CFI I have seen many do an IPC/FR in the cheapest plane they can find rather then in their own Twin...:eek:

Instrument rating (FAA) is category not class limited so SE current = Multi engine current.
Flight review is not category nor class limited and any time you add a rating the clock resets.

What does not carry over are the 90 day landing currency requirements.
So with an IPC in a single you are Instrument "current" in a Twin but you cannot carry pax untill you've met the three T/O and landing reqs.

Transsonic2000
12th Nov 2015, 14:00
Thank you all for the feedback, it's very much appreciated! I understand that it makes sense to do the FR in the most complex aircraft for which the pilot is rated, but since I'm currently living abroad the number of N-reg aircraft and US instructors is quite limited and one must be happy with what is available at hand.

B2N2
12th Nov 2015, 22:53
True, except under FAA rules a N-reg is NOT required for an IPC or a Flight Review.
Common misconception.
If you can find a dual rated FAA certified Instructor you can fly any countries registry as long as he is PIC.
He's PIC anyway because you're out of currency.