PDA

View Full Version : Jet Pack anyone?

Aussie Bob
11th Nov 2015, 00:32
From the ABC news (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-11/aussie-inventor-flies-jetpack-around-statue-of-liberty/6929444)

Looks pretty awesome to me, good video too.

slackie
11th Nov 2015, 02:09
Maiden flight....over water?! I think not!

megan
11th Nov 2015, 02:48
Maiden flight....over water?! I think not!Water is at least a bit softer than terra firma slackie, if you're low enough.

Andy_RR
11th Nov 2015, 06:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF0j96zORj0 - this looks like the maiden maiden, or possibly the maiden maiden maiden, or something...

gerry111
11th Nov 2015, 08:31
'Lost In Space' certainly came up with the concept!

Bullethead
11th Nov 2015, 08:42
Nothing new under the sun. I remember a jet pack being displayed at the Sydney, Australia Royal Easter Show way back in the early1960's.

Cheers,
BH.

tartare
11th Nov 2015, 09:05
Not new?
I don't think so.
You may have seen a rocket belt, but a true turbojet powered jetpack?
This would appear to be new (well actually under development in secret for quite a while).
Turbofan version being talked about - ballistic parachute - auto stabilsation.
I want one!!!

Jetjr
11th Nov 2015, 20:46
The easter show model was simply compressed gas i recall

tartare
12th Nov 2015, 22:45
Riding home on the bus last night I was thinking about how you'd develop operating procedures for these things.
There are no aerodynamic surfaces to provide unpowered lift (obviously).
There's clearly a dead man zone where you're too low to use a ballistic parachute, but high enough to die if you have a major loss of thrust.
Similar to a hovering helicopter, but you don't have the impact absorption effect of skids and the protection of the seats/cabin.
Lift off from land, depart over water until above MSA? Same in reverse for approach?
But then hitting water from anything above 10 metres, especially with something like that on your back, is not going to be nice.
Zoom climb on take off over land to reach MSA as soon as possible?
Maybe just accept that if you lose thrust, unless you're high - you're dead.

fujii
12th Nov 2015, 22:57
The Sydney and Melbourne show, James Bond and Lost in Space were hydrogen peroxide powered.

A gas cylinder contains nitrogen gas, and two cylinders containing highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide. The nitrogen presses the hydrogen peroxide onto a catalyst, which decomposes the hydrogen peroxide into a mixture of superheated steam and oxygen with a temperature of about 740 °C.

Pinky the pilot
13th Nov 2015, 02:49
Water is at least a bit softer than terra firma slackie, if you're low enough.

Not if you hit it at the wrong angle, and hard enough!!:(

megan
13th Nov 2015, 14:06
Did a belly flopper off the 10 metre board Pinky?

Pinky the pilot
14th Nov 2015, 01:29
Did a belly flopper off the 10 metre board Pinky?

Nope. I can dive better than that!:eek::D

fencehopper
18th Nov 2015, 08:11
One engine out would be a pretty wild ride. Catherine wheel?
I'd like one and what they don't know won't hurt me.