PDA

View Full Version : Clearing customs in the EU

nottellin
7th Nov 2015, 19:45
Hello all,

I was hoping for some advice on good locations and ones to avoid in order to clear customs in the EU when coming in from North America.

Any other tips and advice is appreciated.

Thanks

733driver
7th Nov 2015, 21:30
A bit of a vague question. Where in the EU are you going? Are you just passing through? Are you importing an aircraft? (probably not, I guess). Anyway, tell us a bit more about your trip and I'm sure people here will be happy to help.

nottellin
7th Nov 2015, 23:06
We will be coming from North America through Gander in a Hawker 800, might have to stop in Iceland or might be able to make it direct to Ireland and maybe even England, will be a fuel issue that decides that.

From there passengers would like to head to Italy maybe France and are flexible to bounce around as they are making their first trip to the EU in their aircraft and its more about breaking the ice and seeing what our options are.

So if we clear in Iceland i am reading conflicting things on if we are cleared into the EU at that point, or do we need to land at a customs airport once landing in France or Italy after Iceland.

How is does that scenario work if we made it to Ireland and cleared there, are we free to move about the EU at that point or do we again need to land at a customs airport once entering a new country.

Thanks

Propellerpilot
8th Nov 2015, 05:04
The keyword is "Schengen", which is a customs agreement between states in Europe. So you will clear customs when entering the first Schengen Country i.e. Ireland. From there you can travel to any country within the Schengen-zone, without having to re-clear.

Note that neither Island nor the UK have signed the Schengen agreement, so you would not go through customs there, when stopping for fuel.

dc9-32
8th Nov 2015, 05:18
Regardless of where you clear customs, you will have to advise all passport details prior to landing in Europe. FBO's will ask for them.

Are you not using a Trip Planning company ?

Gray 14
8th Nov 2015, 06:53
"might be able to make it direct to Ireland and maybe even England, will be a fuel issue that decides that."

Any flight planning using the words "might make it" or "maybe" reference fuel on board should be discarded immediately.

mutt
8th Nov 2015, 07:13
So you will clear customs when entering the first Schengen Country i.e. Ireland. Ireland and the UK are members of the European Union, but they are not Schengen members. So theoretically your passengers would need visas for Ireland, the UK and Schengen if they were planning to spend time in all 3 places and were from countries that required visas.

nottellin
8th Nov 2015, 09:46
Thanks for the helpful advice, its a great starting point.

space-shuttle-driver
8th Nov 2015, 10:10
Iceland is NOT member of the EU but IS member of Schengen!

Schengen Visa Countries List - Schengen Area (http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-countries-list/)

Also, with an N-reg airplane, be careful of customs officials in South of France, they have their own interpretation of the rules of temporary importing foreign airplanes.

Pace
8th Nov 2015, 13:49
If you can make it just over the english channel into Ostend EBOS where i have been a lot you will get a quick turnaround, low fuel prices and landing fees and a very helpful bunch of people :ok: In an airport with good facilities yet low movements and your cleared in schengen
I am not sure on the Hawker range but a quick stop in Iceland and direct EBOS would work

Pace

ksjc
8th Nov 2015, 13:51
Also, it's considered good form to be prepared for, or at least understand what is expected of you, during a Safety Assesment of Foreign Aircraft (SAFA) ramp check. More likely to see an inspector in some places than others...word on the street is N reg in France or UK might attract more attention?

As with most things in life the better prepared you are the smoother things will be...or might not be needed at all in the end. Some put together a dedicated binder with copies of all necessary docs just in case.

Here is the guidance manual:

http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/SAFA%20Ramp%20Inspections%20Guidance%20Material%20-%20Version%202.0.pdf

HyFlyer
10th Nov 2015, 13:06
Be aware that France is closing it's borders and re-instating border controls even between Schengen countries for a month from about now.

Also that flying private around Europe is fine, but don't have EU citizens or residents aboard......

Pace
10th Nov 2015, 13:32
With the massive and uncontrolled influx of immigrants I am not surprised that the French as part of Schengen are not happy with the free movement between member states and are shutting their borders

Pace