PDA

View Full Version : Teesside up for sale?

FlyMME
19th Jun 2002, 12:39
Just been on the local news up here that Teesside is looking for a new business partner from the private sector. According to the report the BAA are looking into it as well as both Manchester and Newcastle Airports.

Also in the report, they mentioned about BMIbaby moving to Teesside and the reporter seemed quite sure that it would take place.

niknak
19th Jun 2002, 22:14
I can't see any of the aforementioned organisations wanting a stake in Teesside:

1. BAA - Insufficient existing passengers in the catchment area to warrent their type of investment, little potential for further growth due to the influence of Newcastle.
2. Manchester - have tied up a lot of cash in recent aquisitions and associated operating costs and are allegedly not in a position to make further investments outside their current portfolio.
3. Newcastle - already owned by Copenhagen Airport (majority shareholding I think), why would they be interested in investing a large amount for a small return.

Norwich are going through the same process at this time, they have (allegedly) had serious approaches from just two organisations, one of whom is Liverpool based, and the other a Dutch national airline/investment bankers.

Given the present traffic levels at Teesside, a private investment consortium is probably the only realistic solution.

Joe Curry
21st Jun 2002, 10:50
>> BAA - Insufficient existing passengers in the catchment area to warrent their type of investment, little potential for further growth due to the influence of Newcastle. <<

Plus an investigation by The Mergers and Monopolies
Commission.? I think BAA will be satisfied to hold onto what
they have.?:(