PDA

View Full Version : Better places to clear customs in EU

nottellin
7th Nov 2015, 12:19
Hello all,

looking for some tips on the better places to clear customs when coming over from North America into Europe and ones to avoid.

Also I have received conflicting advice on the custom procedures, once you clear in an EU country does that mean you are clear in the entire EU and do not have to go through customs procedures? if anyone would care to elaborate on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

boxmover
9th Nov 2015, 15:46
One thing to remember is that customs and immigration rules are not the same. Some of the EU plus some others are Shengen and some EU and non EU are not.

733driver
9th Nov 2015, 16:05
nottellin,

Why start a second thread on this topic within two days of opening the first one and within one day of having received the last response on that other thread?

As others have said: Understand that "customs" is not the same as passport control ("immigration").

Generally speaking: Once you are in the EU, you don't need to go through "customs" again as long as you stay in the EU.

Then there is the Schengen agreement which means that for travel between member states passport control is not normally required. However, there could always be spot checks and some airports have specific procedures requiring all general aviation arrivals to go through passport control. I don't remember for sure but I think it was in Italy and it was an airport with no dedicated GA terminal.

Google the list of Schengen Countries and google the list of EU members and you will get a good idea of what to expect.

Generally speaking small to mid size airports with dedicated GA facilities (FBOs) will be your best bet for quick and efficient service at reasonable cots.

farmer jo
9th Nov 2015, 16:53
Avoid Luton (EGGW) .They are the worst in Europe and very rude with it ! We use X jet at Stansted(EGGS) and have no complaints. Immigration, if needed attend the Aircraft.

nottellin
9th Nov 2015, 17:02
it wasnt intentional to start the second thread....

I didnt realize that the mods needed to approve my post and I wasnt sure if I entered it properly,

please forgive me:oh:

winkwink
9th Nov 2015, 17:18
I completely agree with farmer jo. Luton is dire. It's an abomination of an airport with a couple
of controllers (one male, one female) who are incompetent, pedantic immigration officials and the most aggressive and objectionable security officials outside Russia.

The best in the UK? FARNBOROUGH. A quality experience from start to finish. Worth every penny.

Wish I were still based there instead of at the Bedfordshire bumhole. :ugh: