PDA

View Full Version : A Chopper is born!

CRAN
19th Jun 2002, 12:28
Taken from the website of a light kit helicopter manufacturer...

Following the great successes of two previous kit-building series titled "A Car is Born" and "A Plane is Born" (recently on Discovery Wings), the next step seemed obvious to the producers. Why not a helicopter? So, they chose the Exec 162F and produced the exciting new series titled "A Chopper is Born", which promises to be their most popular building program yet.

This 15-part series is all about building a RotorWay Exec 162F. It not only includes the major elements of the construction process, but features informative side trips to the factory itself to learn how major components are made and tested. There are even a few clips of AirVenture 2001 in Oshkosh, WI, which include interviews with Exec 162F owners attending the show. Add to that some flight demonstrations in the Sonoran desert of Arizona with a RotorWay CFI Pilot and you have the ultimate aviation entertainment for helicopter fans.

After researching numerous kit-helicopter possibilities, the production company, i2i Television, based in the United Kingdom, opted for the Exec 162F. They purchased a kit, built it with the guidance of the RotorWay representative in England, and then they went to RotorWay itself to film the factory and flight footage. From welding the airframe and making the blades to machining and inspecting the parts, each mini-segment is designed to show the viewer just what goes into making the kit being built on the program and then finally, learning how to fly it.

The host, Mark Evans, is both the producer and presenter. An amateur mechanic, Evans uses a lighthearted, humorous approach, which simply makes the entire show a fun and entertaining experience. In collaboration with i2i Television, they have unique experience filming complex workshop construction.

In previous series, Evans has built a replica AC Cobra, built a 200 mph kit airplane, and completely restored a 1965 E Type Jaguar. The E Type show was actually the highest rated series broadcast by any Discovery Channel in Europe in its ten-year history.

The series will air first in the United Kingdom during the summer, then Europe, Australia, the Pacific Rim and the United States on the Discover Network. In the United States, it will appear on the Discovery Wings channel which just recently completed airing the "A Plane is Born" series. While no dates have been set at this time, it is expected to run sometime this year.

Should make for interesting viewing and answer a lot of the questions about this much talked-about aircraft.

CRAN;)

RotorHorn
19th Jun 2002, 13:07
Cheers Cran - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Watched the "Plane is born" series when I was training 'cos even though he was building a plank, he was also learning to fly - so you got to see some of the lesson briefings he attended - a good revision aide!

As for me, the Rotorway Exec is probably the only way I'd be able to own my own helicopter - but if you'd seen my airfix modelling skills, you'd soon realise building a real 'un ain't an option for me.

It all boils down to, "so you think you can build a helo? Would you bet your life on it....?"

i.e. are kit helicopters worth the risk?

CRAN
19th Jun 2002, 14:20
RH,

You hit the nail on the head! ;-)

It's the Cranfield PFA Rally on Fri, Sat & Sun this week, as i'm based at Cranfield i'll have a good look round. If there are any Rotorways here i'll have a good look and let you know what I think.

CRAN

Dave Jackson
19th Jun 2002, 19:50
CRAN

Thanks for the informative post.

It might be of value if you, or someone in the United Kingdom, were to start a thread on this forum as the 15-part series is presented. If there were 15 separate threads, each dedicated to a specific episode, then those in the United Kingdom could discuss each episode. Later, those in Europe, Australia, the Pacific Rim and American could recall the previous specific thread, read the comments, and possibly add to them.

Just an idea.

Dave J

Vfrpilotpb
19th Jun 2002, 20:04
The Rotorway Exec looks a very nice slippery shaped little Heli, and in truth is nearer most peoples pocket than even the R22, but it has attracted some previous bad and niggly publicity, connected with Vee belts and then Blades, plus on top of this the PFA dont have any interest in the thing and the CAA are very careful as to how and who they will allow to build the things.

Whilst it looks nice, and the price appeals, I think it would be a very brave/foolhardy amatuer who would build this sort of flying machine without a bucketfull of very expert advice!:eek:

Whirlybird
19th Jun 2002, 20:31
Cran,

There were some at the PFA Rally two years ago; I'm sure there will be again. Look out for me; I'll likely as not be staring at them on Friday. :D

If you do a search, there was a thread here way back comparing the R22 and Rotorway Exec, with some good stuff on it.

I know a couple of guys who built one; they're both engineers but said it was a huge amount of work and they wouldn't do it again. They also said it needs about two hours of maintenance for every hour you fly it; not sure why.

Nice looking little helo though.

CRAN
20th Jun 2002, 09:33
DAVE,

Good plan - i'll start the threads as the series is presented.

Whirly - I'll keep my eyes open, but how will I know its you?

CRAN

The Nr Fairy
20th Jun 2002, 10:19
CRAN :

Check http://groups.msn.com/LatinFlyersAirportBar/pprunegallery.msnw

CRAN
20th Jun 2002, 10:59
Cheers Nr,

Sorted

CRAN

Whirlybird
20th Jun 2002, 13:21
Cran,

Small, dark, female - not too many people like that looking at self build helicopters at the PFA Rally.

Though I guess you might get a bit embarrassed if you ask: "Are you Whirlybird", and they look at you blankly. :D

Let's see...if I remember, I'll be wearing a black jacket with a gold R44 on it, and a "Whirly-Girls" t-shirt.

You can see I like shopping almost as much as helicopter flying can't you? :D

RotorHorn
20th Jun 2002, 14:31
no La Croix sweetee? ;)

er.... do they do a black jacket with gold R44 in a 44" chest do you know.... its for a friend you understand :D

Whirlybird
22nd Jun 2002, 08:17
Rotorhorn,

Tell your friend I'm sure they do. ;) I have the smallest size, and it's massive on me, but I liked it anyway. Does ANYONE make aviation clothing for women?

Well, there I was at the PFA Rally, looking at this interesting looking self build helicopter (can't remember what it's called), not planning on staying by it long, as persuading salesmen of such things that I'm actually a helicopter pilot and will really really understand what they're talking about is uphill work, even with an R44 jacket and Whirly-Girls t-shirt - I know; tried it before, many times. And Cran comes up and introduces himself. Then Genghis the Engineer appears out of nowhere. And there we all are, happily discussing rotor systems and ground resonance and similar topics, and finally the salesman/designer/whatever says to me: "Oh, do you fly helicopters?" Ah well, shall I walk around with a big sign next time? :confused:

Sorry, totally irrelevant to anything, but it was nice to meet Cran - especially as we discovered we've both been flying out of Wolverhampton for ages but had never met.

muffin
22nd Jun 2002, 16:06
Yes, Whirly, that was an interesting little machine, wasn't it. Don't think I would like to trust my life to it. I did not see you again after we arrived, but we had to leave about 2 PM.

Nice day though.