PDA

View Full Version : To tonyblair (no, not the PM) re: hour building

GonvilleBromhead
19th Jun 2002, 10:28
Tony,

Just in reply to your post on Bob Fleming's thread I'm just curious as to what else you expect out of hour building ??? How can long, challenging (perhaps the key word here ?) xc's be a "waste of time" ??? :confused: :confused:

Set your own standards, fly accurately, hdg, level, hard to find fields, good nav technique, be hard on yourself in doing so.

How can you say "a waste of time" when it's clear from your post that you have only done a wee bit of solo, surely to God this is the point at which you start to learn, by building up your experience "out of the circuit" so to speak ? An integral part of confidence / skill / experience / judgement building one would have thought ?

Get yourself a night qualification too, maybe a bit of multi, blimey a waste of time it is not, unless of course one isn't disciplined enough to make it so.

tonyblair
21st Jun 2002, 19:21
Hello Gonville, sorry, I didn't see this until I'd taken advice which was to ask my question on a new thread.

I'm sure that you can learn as you describe. It's just that it seems easy to me for someone as inexperienced as me to go off at tangents without the oversight of a good flying instructor.

I really don't know what to expect from my training: that's why I'm asking questions.

Thanks

GoneWest
21st Jun 2002, 20:27
If you abide by all Gonville's comments - with regard to self criticism of heading, level, speed etc. - you will get the benefit you need.

Why not consider taking a critical instructor with you on these cross countries?? The instructor will benefit from the time (and his cost will still come out cheaper than trying to do the same thing in the UK), you can still log it P1 and you can prevent those nasty habits forming.

I would suggest, however, that you find a JAA rated instructor who personally holds their own UK professional licence.