PDA

View Full Version : Biggin Hill Mosquito

treadigraph
4th Nov 2015, 20:58
Just spotted this on Flypast:

https://www.facebook.com/BigginHillHeritageHangar/?fref=nf

Wow! Wonderful news and best wishes to the team with this fantastic endeavour.

VictorGolf
5th Nov 2015, 11:42
Absolutely and having worked with these guys on their 2-seat Spitfire at Duxford this year, you couldn't wish to meet a more professional and pleasant team of engineers and pilots.

Fareastdriver
5th Nov 2015, 13:35
I hope that they can stick it together with proper epoxy glues instead of the CAA insisting they shoot a load of horses.

Wander00
5th Nov 2015, 16:37
FED - I am with you on that, and it would be fantastic to see a Mosquito fly again in the UK

skydiver69
11th Nov 2015, 19:33
There might be another flying Mosquito in the works The Plan | The People's Mosquito (http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/the-plan/)

DaveReidUK
11th Nov 2015, 21:38
I wish them well, but it needs to be stressed that they are building a Mosquito replica, not a Mosquito.

Stratofreighter
6th Feb 2023, 17:01
...okay, slight "thread drift", but it still concerns Biggin Hill and a (flying) De Havilland Mosquito... :ok: :cool: ;)

https://flyaspitfire.com/2023/02/06/mosquito-at-biggin-hill/LATEST NEWS
FEBRUARY 6, 2023

Mosquito at Biggin Hill – announcement by Peter Monk, Managing Director of flyaspitfire.com and the Spitfire Company (Biggin Hill):

“Following previous announcements and patiently waiting for availability in a busy restoration programme
we’re delighted to confirm
that we’ve now commissioned the team at AVSPECS NZ to commence the restoration of a Mosquito FB.VI .

Upon completion the aircraft will join our fleet of 2 seat Spitfires and other WWII aircraft
that are available for flight experiences here at Biggin Hill.

The team at AVSPECS are leaders in the field of Mosquito restoration
and this will be the 5th airframe that they have restored to an airworthy condition.
https://flyaspitfire.com/2023/02/06/mosquito-at-biggin-hill/

The restoration is scheduled to take 3 years
and once completed the aircraft will complete a commemorative tour
of New Zealand, Australia and then on to the UK
in honour of the Commonwealth pilots that flew Mosquitos in WWII. https://flyaspitfire.com/2023/02/06/mosquito-at-biggin-hill/

We believe this will be the only airworthy example of the Mosquito in Europe :!:
and we’re excited at the prospect of offering members of the public

the chance to ‘Fly a Mosquito’ from Biggin Hill in 2026.” https://flyaspitfire.com/2023/02/06/mosquito-at-biggin-hill/
​​​​​​​ (https://flyaspitfire.com/2023/02/06/mosquito-at-biggin-hill/)

stevef
6th Feb 2023, 19:44
This would make a great addition to the 'What Made You Happy Today' thread. :ok: :)

chevvron
6th Feb 2023, 20:58
FED - I am with you on that, and it would be fantastic to see a Mosquito fly again in the UK
In 1963, I put on my ATC cadet uniform and hung around at Bovingdon for a couple of days; plenty of Mosquitos to be seen!.

Allan Lupton
7th Feb 2023, 16:11
I wish them well, but it needs to be stressed that they are building a Mosquito replica, not a Mosquito.
Yes and as one who was in the audience for the Hatfield RAeS Mosquito anniversary symposium (and helped publish the book thereof), I would have said it was impossible to build a real Mosquito.

GeeRam
7th Feb 2023, 22:29
...okay, slight "thread drift", but it still concerns Biggin Hill and a (flying) De Havilland Mosquito... :ok: :cool: ;)

So, is this the ex-highball spec B.Mk.IV, DZ452, that has been for sale for for a while, by AvSpec, being advertised at $9m fully complete and flying?
Would be a crying shame if so, to 'convert' this into a FB.VI, instead of its original B.IV configuration, especially given the rarity of the B.IV.
I can't think of any other Mossie project available, given they say it will be the 5th Mossie by AvSpec, and there was confirmation by Maurice Denholm of AvSpec last month and photo's posted of the former Glyn Powell owned, FB.26 in the hangar was being started on for a US customer, which will clearly be the 4th one they have done.
Even doing two alongside each other, I'd be surprised if they can do both in 3 years timescale, even having already done 3 of them.

Or I wonder if Maurice Denholm was being evasive by saying the ex-Glyn Powell FB.26 was for a US customer, and this is the one for Biggin Hill?
However, if so, it would be the 4th one not the 5th one? This FB.26 (Aussie built FB.6) was the project that was supposed to have been that the Pathfinder Trust had acquired but who seemed to have disappeared now without trace.

DaveReidUK
8th Feb 2023, 06:31
We believe this will be the only airworthy example of the Mosquito in Europe :!:
and we’re excited at the prospect of offering members of the public

the chance to ‘Fly a Mosquito’ from Biggin Hill in 2026.”

"Fly a Mosquito" ?

or "Fly in a Mosquito" ?

:O

GeeRam
8th Feb 2023, 21:30
Have seen suggestions that the BHHH FB.6 announcement may be the parts remains/identity of FB.6 TE881 that was acquired by AvSpecs from the late John Smith's estate.

tdracer
9th Feb 2023, 02:16
Unfortunately, it seems that is as about as good as it's going to get if you want a Mosquito to be 'airworthy'. Seems the original glues that they used don't age very gracefully, so any original Mosquitos don't have the necessary structural integrity to be airworthy, even if 'rot' isn't an issue.
Further, the sandwich style construction doesn't really allow the wood bits to be disassembled and re-assembled with modern glues.

India Four Two
9th Feb 2023, 04:25
DaveReid,

I disagree. If you rebuild an aircraft and have to manufacture some parts, it’s not a replica. Of course, in the case of a Mosquito, that’s the wings, fuselage and empennage, but if the metal bits are original, then it’s a rebuild. 😄

DaveReidUK
9th Feb 2023, 06:25
DaveReid,

I disagree. If you rebuild an aircraft and have to manufacture some parts, it’s not a replica. Of course, in the case of a Mosquito, that’s the wings, fuselage and empennage, but if the metal bits are original, then it’s a rebuild. 😄

Fair point - there are plenty of "rebuilt" Spitfires flying around where the best that can be said is that the serial number plate is original ... :O

sycamore
9th Feb 2023, 06:44
DRUK,ref#12,room for another in `super-economy...the bomb-bay`....

GeeRam
9th Feb 2023, 07:43
Unfortunately, it seems that is as about as good as it's going to get if you want a Mosquito to be 'airworthy'. Seems the original glues that they used don't age very gracefully, so any original Mosquitos don't have the necessary structural integrity to be airworthy, even if 'rot' isn't an issue.

The ex-Bob Jens, ex- Ed Zalesky B.35 (VR796) that was restored to airworthy in Canada over a long period and flew again in 2014, is all original structure, not a new build. Its the only all original structure Mosquito of the current 4 airworthy examples.

Despite many claims that Kermit Weeks B.35 (RS712) needs new wings, I believe from those that know Mossie's and have seen it in recent times, if he so chose to, its still in good enough condition structurally, to be returned to the air, despite it spending a couple of years in the heat and humidity of Florida before being flown off to a more suitable long term storage climate.

GeeRam
9th Feb 2023, 07:44
Fair point - there are plenty of "rebuilt" Spitfires flying around where the best that can be said is that the serial number plate is original ... :O

Not only Spitfires.

GeeRam
9th Feb 2023, 07:53
DaveReid,

Which in the case of the 3 already done by AvSpecs, this was indeed the case, as there was sufficient remains of the aircraft for that to be true. Especially so in the case of the T.3 rebuilt for the ex-Paul Allen FHC, which was of course the ex-IWM Lambeth example that was pretty much a totally complete aircraft, that had just had a wing sawn off for hanging from the roof in Lambeth.
The People's Mosquito on the other hand, is going to be pretty much a replica, as what amounts to a data plate was dug out of a whole in the ground. They aren't even returning it to its NF.30 configuration either (if it ever gets finished)

From the photos I've seen, I'm not sure there was an awful lot left of TE881 that John Smith acquired the remains of many decades ago, and which AvSpecs have acquired from the estate, and which is likely providing the identity of the BHHH FB.6, although more than the TPM example. Much easier for AvSpecs to make what there isn't though, if built alongside the substantially complete ex-Glyn Powell project, not something TPM have access to in the same way.

bobward
9th Feb 2023, 11:03
The rebuild vs replica argument will carry on for a long while I think. For me, the prospect of a Mosquito, especially a bomber, flying in the UK is the real potential treat.

By the way, a few years ago I was in the museum in Edmonton where they have a Mossie dressed up as Russ Bannock's (?) machine, complete with four gun nose.
What jarred with me was that it had two stage Merlin engines, just like the one's used in 633 Squadron and Mosquito Squadron years ago. Apologies for nit-picking.
Now off to dry clean my anorak again......

India Four Two
9th Feb 2023, 12:25
Quite a few years ago now, I was lucky enough to have a well-connected friend at Ardmore. We wandered down to Avspecs to have a look at KA114, the first Mosquito they had rebuilt.

My friend John said to one of the engineers that he knew:
"Can we have a look?"
"Sure hop in."

That's how I got to sit in the cockpit of an airworthy Mosquito. Unfortunately I never got to see it fly.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/john_emeny_ka114_mosquito_fbiv_a54233f6d7dfe13361223ad88c1ad 9a1638af6cc.jpg
Here's my well connected friend, John.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1824x1368/ka114_mosquito_cockpit_img_0738_50pct_6847a8e6da9d3be2221cd3 2363c6685c681cb21e.jpg
One of my treasured photos. A very poor quality picture but those are my knees!

It's interesting that the bomber variants have control wheels, but the fighter variants have sticks.

I thoroughly recommend these videos where Warren Denholme from Avspecs describes how it is built and Keith Skilling, one of the test pilots, is explaining what it is like to fly a Mosquito, after they both flew to Tauranga from Ardmore:

Mosquito Rescue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flPb-YSDT0

Flying the Mozzie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCUk2L7RTnE

GeeRam
9th Feb 2023, 12:54
The rebuild vs replica argument will carry on for a long while I think. For me, the prospect of a Mosquito, especially a bomber, flying in the UK is the real potential treat.

But, there is no prospect of a glazed nose bomber version ever flying in the UK again, unless some new group or individual buys the B.IV project (DZ452) from Avspecs that is for sale at $9m all-in completed and flying...?
Both the Peoples Mosquito project, and this new BHHH project are both solid nose FB/NF versions.

By the way, a few years ago I was in the museum in Edmonton where they have a Mossie dressed up as Russ Bannock's (?) machine, complete with four gun nose.
What jarred with me was that it had two stage Merlin engines, just like the one's used in 633 Squadron and Mosquito Squadron years ago. Apologies for nit-picking.
Now off to dry clean my anorak again......

Ex-Spartan Air Services B.35, VP189, has been in that fake, butchered, solid nose configuration for decades now, I think since the mid 1970's at least.

bobward
9th Feb 2023, 19:23
GeeRam,
Thanks for the corrections and comments. I didn't realise how long the B35 had been on display. There are some other real treasures in that museum as well.
In fact there are a whole series of amazing museums over in Canada that I've been lucky enough to see over several visits across the pond.

Commander Taco
10th Feb 2023, 03:29
Despite many claims that Kermit Weeks B.35 (RS712) needs new wings, I believe from those that know Mossie's and have seen it in recent times, if he so chose to, its still in good enough condition structurally, to be returned to the air, despite it spending a couple of years in the heat and humidity of Florida before being flown off to a more suitable long term storage climate.

I believe Weeks’ Mosquito has been stored and displayed in a controlled environment hangar in Oshkosh for several decades. At least that’s what his staff at his Fantasy of Flight Museum in Florida told me.

Incidentally, Jerry Yagens brought his Mosquito (as well as his ME-262 and FW190, but that’s another story) up to the Hamilton, Ontario air show about ten years ago. I was fortunate to be able to get up into the cockpit and I must say, the detail and quality of what the NZ rebuilders produce is utterly astonishing.

During the flying display, it was marvelous to watch the Mosquito, FW190 and ME-262 stern chase each other around the airfield.

India Four Two
10th Feb 2023, 07:47
I believe Weeks’ Mosquito has been stored and displayed in a controlled environment hangar in Oshkosh for several decades.
DeHavilland Mosquito - Tour Part 1 - Kermie Camhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd2M21nlw0w

GeeRam
10th Feb 2023, 08:34
I believe Weeks’ Mosquito has been stored and displayed in a controlled environment hangar in Oshkosh for several decades. At least that’s what his staff at his Fantasy of Flight Museum in Florida told me.

Yes, been there since about 1991/2 IIRC, so 30 years now, and also, how long since it last flew...!!

Funnily enough, I visited his old small Tamiami facility back in 1989, so, only 2 years or so since it had made the ferry flight over from UK, and the Mossie was sitting inside the blister hangar, but with the front open to elements, so very hot and humid. After a nostalgic look around the Mossie, (as had seen it in UK on several occasions) I went into the small gift shop, and low and behold, Kermit was manning the till in the gift shop. I asked outright if he wasn't concerned, given the nature of the problems they suffered in the Far East during service, that the similar conditions in Florida might soon render it unairworthy.
He was rather surprised, somewhat dissmissive of the suggestion, citing his soon to be grand plan, which was Fantasy of Flight, and air conditioned facility etc. However, it was interesting that within another year or two, he had flown the aircraft to EAA and has left it there ever since.

treadigraph
24th Feb 2023, 17:26
Hmmm, you can now get wooden fountain pens made out of wood gleaned from original stringers/spars of Mosquito KA114, now airworthy with Jerry Yagen in Virginia.

GeeRam
24th Feb 2023, 21:12
Hmmm, you can now get wooden fountain pens made out of wood gleaned from original stringers/spars of Mosquito KA114, now airworthy with Jerry Yagen in Virginia.

Good idea really.

Given the state of what was left of it after it had been sitting rotting away outside for 4 decades....it was no more than firewood really.

megan
25th Feb 2023, 02:04
It's interesting that the bomber variants have control wheels, but the fighter variants have sticksRead somewhere that the fighter chaps wished it had been fitted with the bomber control wheel, better able to put in some muscle for maneuvering and provide steadier control for gun aiming.

India Four Two
25th Feb 2023, 02:32
Read somewhere that the fighter chaps wished it had been fitted with the bomber control wheel, better able to put in some muscle for maneuvering and provide steadier control for gun aiming.

Like the P-38 Lightning.

After my very brief exposure to a two-seat Spitfire doing no more than 250 kts, I felt that the spade grip would be essential at higher speeds, since you would need two hands to roll it - the ailerons were very heavy.

treadigraph
25th Feb 2023, 06:09
Good idea really.

Given the state of what was left of it after it had been sitting rotting away outside for 4 decades....it was no more than firewood really.
Of course... mind you, two things militate against me buying one, the price and being left handed which renders any attempts to write neatly with a fountain pen into a Rorschach test...

tdracer
25th Feb 2023, 16:15
Do you know where one might find one to buy (and how much)?
That might be a cool keepsake...

treadigraph
25th Feb 2023, 16:20
Not sure that I should supply a direct link - google Wig and Pens, they can be found under pens/military!

megan
26th Feb 2023, 01:37
Like the P-38 LightningThere were those who wanted the P-38 to be fitted with a fighter style "stick". Link provides one insight at 4(j).

P-38F Tactical Trials (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-38/p-38f-tactical-trials.html)