PDA

View Full Version : Advantage for ADS-B in the USA

Dick Smith
4th Nov 2015, 01:30
In a Q&A released by the FAA, it gives an interesting answer to the question in relation to ADS-B costs.

The question is, “Is the FAA looking at ways to offset the relatively high cost burden and increase the benefits of ADS-B for General Aviation?”

The answer starts off quite simply, “the FAA believes free ADS-B broadcasts of traffic, weather and aeronautical information yields significant safety benefits for General Aviation.”

Of course it should be obvious that in Australia there are zero weather and aeronautical information benefits provided at all. As I have said before, we have all been conned. Get out of aviation now, otherwise you will lose even further money in the future.

And Sir Angus Houston and Mark Skidmore appear to support even more draconian and higher costs on GA. I understand the latest idea is to move so all VFR aircraft are also to be fitted with mandatory ADS-B.

Remember they both come from a background where extra expensive gismos are fitted to aircraft and paid by taxpayers, and if there is a loss like the $1.4 billion on the Super Seasprite disaster, no one is held accountable in any way. Australia could have had four hospitals for that amount.

Mark Skidmore is undoubtedly a good bloke however, has anyone ever heard him making even one mention, in the 10 months he has been in the job, of the urgent and immediate need to reduce costs?

Sunfish
4th Nov 2015, 05:04
Mandatory ADS -B for VFR? It wouldn't surprise me. The allure of ADS - B to bureaucrats is obvious; total information awareness. A simple permanent recording of the position, speed and location of every aircraft flying within range of a ground station.

When ASA talks about the value of ADS-B they are talking about its benefits as a source of real time information. My problem is with the capture and archiving of ADS-B flight data and its on - forwarding to CASA which will inevitably happen.

To put that another way; if the Government already archives your email, internet and telephone metadata, how much more important from a national security perspective is it to have aircraft movement data?

The reality is that CASA can use the data as an automatic infringement generator or to target and harass a particular pilot or operator. Couple ADS-B data with fuel purchases and maintenance data and it is possible to build watertight cases every time.

Eyrie
4th Nov 2015, 08:06
You can have ADSB IN very simply with a low cost gadget connected to your ipad running OZ runways or AvPlan.
In the civilised parts of this country or near major highways they also give you near real time weather radar and access to latest METARS as well as satellite pictures and weather charts. check the latest hi res satellite pictures from BoM.

Flying Binghi
4th Nov 2015, 11:36
via Dick Smith:
...Angus Houston and Mark Skidmore appear to support even more draconian and higher costs on GA. I understand the latest idea is to move so all VFR aircraft are also to be fitted with mandatory ADS-B.

So they are the idiots we should litigate when the mighty GPS falls in a heap and all GA aircraft get grounded because some muppets put the case it is unsafe to fly with-out ADS-B..:hmm: